What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

1 minute ago, eagles101 said:

The massive superiority that northerns get about snow in the south is comical at best. I live in michigan which had a hundred car pile up last year (or the year before) driving like morons and still you hear this “hardy har har southerners dont know how to drive” people drive like reckless morons regardless. But id take my chances with a southerner that scared in the snow then a smug northerner who thinks hes above the dangers.

Most of these are caused my severe blizzards with no visability and usually it is a semi that jack-knifes.

I never once said they don't know how to drive. I just said the videos are funny.

You are acting like we don't get .25 inch of ice and then a snow storm on top of it.

Scared of the snow and still hauling *** just makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

How fast should one drive in the snow on the interstate? Ignorant southerner here.

Just take your time. If you are feeling yourself slip and slide, then you are just going to fast.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

Normal sedan, like a typical Corolla let's say, "normal" snow conditions? Whatever that means? Like a slight downfall with a few inches on the ground?

If there are a few inches on the road im not taking the freeway. If its been snowing and the roads are being plowed and its under 30 out im going 60-70. Depening on how well the roads are plowed.

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Normal sedan, like a typical Corolla let's say, "normal" snow conditions? Whatever that means? Like a slight downfall with a few inches on the ground?

It's really not a given speed. Just go comfortably slow. Easy on the breaks and on the gas, if you *** end is coming around stay off the brakes.
there is absolutely no reason to be in a hurry.

1 minute ago, eagles101 said:

If there are a few inches on the road im not taking the freeway. If its been snowing and the roads are being plowed and its under 30 out im going 60-70. Depening on how well the roads are plowed.

So basically it sucks to drive a lot of the year for people up north? Seems like a big hassle. When it monsoons in the summertime Floridians stay driving 85+ on the highway.

Edited by cddolphin

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Most of these are caused my severe blizzards with no visability and usually it is a semi that jack-knifes.

I never once said they don't know how to drive. I just said the videos are funny.

You are acting like we don't get .25 inch of ice and then a snow storm on top of it.

Scared of the snow and still hauling *** just makes no sense.

Just take your time. If you are feeling yourself slip and slide, then you are just going to fast.

We constantly get big pile ups due to ice conditions. This big one it wasnt even snowing. You saw people coming from 200 yarda away not being able to stop. I doubt it was a southerner convention either. 

Just now, cddolphin said:

So basically it sucks to drive a lot of the year for people up north? Seems like a big hassle. When it monsoons in the summertime Floridians stay driving 85+ on the highway.

Not really since we have snow plows and salters. So generally the roads are clear. The worse is it hovering around 40-30 degrees or goes from 40 to 20 in a day or so. Rarely do you see inches of snow on the actual main road. Also sucks if the year has a lot of snow because people get the “screw this attitude” and drive reckless because going 45 instead of 55 is such a hassle (heavy sarcasm) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Yep it's funny when the dudes with 4wd talk as if winter driving is a risk free breeze and then a week later post a picture of their truck in a ditch. 

That and the guy that blow past you being an idiot and crashes. Had one guy crash while passing me...it was awesome.

5 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Good tires go a long way.

4wd and snow rated tires and I’m not slowing down much.

Here in the Cincy area there may be a half dozen crappy driving days per year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Depends.
When you get up towards big cities they are usually fine a couple hours later.

You get outside the big cities and some roads are snow covered all winter until we get a thaw.
Interstates, and state highways usually are the only ones that are cleared and salted well.

2 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

That and the guy that blow past you being an idiot and crashes. Had one guy crash while passing me...it was awesome.

Typically happens to me when I have them pass, usually find them in the ditch 10 miles down the road. Typically the ones I won't pull out either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Slow enough to not slide into anybody if you have to stop fast. Slow enough that you're not sliding while trying to go straight. Fast enough to keep momentum when going up a hill. Stopping on a hill in snow/ice is going to make life very difficult. 

Accelerate smooth, slow early, keep a bigger than normal space between you and the people in front of you. Don't drive if you have summer tires. 

It’s not rocket science, don’t go faster than you feel is comfortable, regardless what others are doing.

Leave space to stop. Make sure snow and ice are cleared off your windshield/wipers/area wiper fluid comes from and that you have wiper fluid.

Give idiots plenty of space.

Leave early.

Small corrections when sliding, don’t yank the wheel.

Whenever there is fresh snow/ice, I purposely slide around a bit on my side street before I pull out onto the main road to get a feel for how the roads are handling. There a ton of different types of snow, but once you know what you are dealing with it isn't a problem at all. 

3 hours ago, eagles101 said:

Im not talking about tires about to blow. But the level of tread needed for snowy icey conditions  is significantly higher than that needed in rainy conditions. Thats why northerner tire places get hammered in the winter. Even the tires you buy are different. Not a lot of need for high end all weather tires in sunny dallas. 

I'm curious about this: do they normally just sell "summer" tires in the south?  Because those do perform significantly worse than the all-weather tires that are common in the north.

It would make sense, given the average temperature down there.  An all-weather tire would wear much faster and not perform as well in Florida.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Whenever there is fresh snow/ice, I purposely slide around a bit on my side street before I pull out onto the main road to get a feel for how the roads are handling. There a ton of different types of snow, but once you know what you are dealing with it isn't a problem at all. 

Haha, I do the same thing.

I almost immediately punch the gas to see what it’s going to take to break the tires loose and hit the brakes to see if/how much I slide.