What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

That one is making me draw a blank. Is it Dolphus Raymond? The dude who pretends to be a drunk?

Dolphus, regardless of the Mockingbird reference would be a really hipster name.

Can't remember the name, but yeah the guy who leans into the stereotype of him being a drunk.

6 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

It's a plan I have through work that I have literally never touched until last month. My deductible (if I'm reading this right) is $1,500.

Did you double check that your GI referral was in-network? 

Honestly, if this is your first experience with crappy US healthcare shenanigans, $400 is getting off easy. Every time you go to the doctor or the dentist, get it verified in writing that they are in-network and get an estimated list of charges before your appointment. The first time I went to my new dentist, the hygienist was sitting in the hallway for 10 minutes because I wouldn't start the appointment without that confirmation. If it makes you feel any better, I have a co-worker who got cancer, and he was billed out of network rates for the blood work he got because the samples that the in-network doctor sent without asking him went to an out-of-network lab.

It's criminal and ridiculous and embarrassing for our country, but that's where we are.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

A lot places are going to a high-deductible plan. My deductible for the family is $3k.

Look into the HSA if it is a high deductible plan. They take whatever amount you designate every paycheck, and you can use it to pay any medical/dental/vision bill. An HSA never goes away, and it lowers your taxable income.

@Darth Pees

I second the HSA. It's awesome. If your work doesn't have an HSA, you can open one on your own. I use HSABank. $60/yearly in fees (about half of that if you keep it in cash) and you get to deduct up to $3450 off your taxable income per year (double for family).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

A lot places are going to a high-deductible plan. My deductible for the family is $3k.

Look into the HSA if it is a high deductible plan. They take whatever amount you designate every paycheck, and you can use it to pay any medical/dental/vision bill. An HSA never goes away, and it lowers your taxable income.

This.

An individual can put like $3400 ish per year in (tax free) and I encourage everyone to max it out if able.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Did you double check that your GI referral was in-network? 

Honestly, if this is your first experience with crappy US healthcare shenanigans, $400 is getting off easy. Every time you go to the doctor or the dentist, get it verified in writing that they are in-network and get an estimated list of charges before your appointment. The first time I went to my new dentist, the hygienist was sitting in the hallway for 10 minutes because I wouldn't start the appointment without that confirmation. If it makes you feel any better, I have a co-worker who got cancer, and he was billed out of network rates for the blood work he got because the samples that the in-network doctor sent without asking him went to an out-of-network lab.

It's criminal and ridiculous and embarrassing for our country, but that's where we are.

Yeah the GI is in-network.

It is my first experience with crappy US healthcare shenanigans, because I'm a healthy 26 year old and have avoided this at all costs ever since high school. I chose the places I chose specifically through my insurance portal online that indicated they were all in-network. So far my dentist claims have all been paid for, and my payment for the PCP office visit was $11 and Aetna paid the rest.

All in all, this is why I refuse to go see the doctor over something so goddamn trivial in the first place. I'll live with chronic stomach aches after I eat if it means I don't have to pay $400+ just for telling someone about it.

I can't imagine the anguish, anger, and confusion of someone who has freaking cancer and is getting exploited by our healthcare system.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@Darth Pees

I second the HSA. It's awesome. If your work doesn't have an HSA, you can open one on your own. I use HSABank. $60/yearly in fees (about half of that if you keep it in cash) and you get to deduct up to $3450 off your taxable income per year (double for family).

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This.

An individual can put like $3400 ish per year in (tax free) and I encourage everyone to max it out if able.

I have an HSA, just need to figure out how to use it.

2 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

If you have an HSA, and you're putting into it, they should have sent you a card. If not, call and get one. 

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I have a debit card for mine. Call the company that manages the account.

You can also reimburse yourself after the fact.

Just make sure to KEEP THE RECEIPTS for tax time next year.

And this is the part where I mention how I completely forgot about the HSA debit card that's been sitting, unactivated, in my wallet for 2 years now right? Ugh, I'm an idiot.

8 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Yeah the GI is in-network.

It is my first experience with crappy US healthcare shenanigans, because I'm a healthy 26 year old and have avoided this at all costs ever since high school. I chose the places I chose specifically through my insurance portal online that indicated they were all in-network. So far my dentist claims have all been paid for, and my payment for the PCP office visit was $11 and Aetna paid the rest.

All in all, this is why I refuse to go see the doctor over something so goddamn trivial in the first place. I'll live with chronic stomach aches after I eat if it means I don't have to pay $400+ just for telling someone about it.

I can't imagine the anguish, anger, and confusion of someone who has freaking cancer and is getting exploited by our healthcare system.

If they were in-network, then check with your policy and see what fraction you're owed. If $400+ is the total cost of the visit, then you'll owe some fraction.

Otherwise, you might have gotten an insurance bill for $2k and are responsible for 20% of it. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If they were in-network, then check with your policy and see what fraction you're owed. If $400+ is the total cost of the visit, then you'll owe some fraction.

Otherwise, you might have gotten an insurance bill for $2k and are responsible for 20% of it. Sucks, but it is what it is.

$488 was the total cost, I got a "member discount" of like $70 and then it said that I am responsible for $417.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He’ll have to hit his deductible before they’ll pick up any portion.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

*Forever.

There's no time limit on when you can use the deduction on anything you withdraw. So invest it, let it grow tax free, then keep those receipts. Best scam ever.

Wait, how does this work? I used my HSA to buy contacts this year.