What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

5 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

So if I can, I'd like to re-visit the HSA stuff real quick. Now that I've maxed out my contributions, I still don't know what I should allocate the investments in. So when I load the page, there's a bunch of categories:

Mutual Fund Investments 

• Large Cap - US Equity
  • Small and Mid Cap - US Equity
  • Non-US Equity
  • Fixed Income
  • Asset Allocation

And then in each of those sections there's like 5-10 options...

Hopefully there's an index fund in each of the first 3 categories. Copy and paste fund lists (or PM me) and I can provide some recommendations. 

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hopefully there's an index fund in each of the first 3 categories. Copy and paste fund lists (or PM me) and I can provide some recommendations. 

Large Cap - U.S. Equity
Mutual Fund Name Symbol Fund Information Fund Prospectus Balance  infoIcon.gif Available  infoIcon.gif Election  infoIcon.gif
Davis New York Venture Class Y DNVYX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Victory Diversified Stock I VDSIX     * Closed to New Investors dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
JP Morgan Large Cap Growth Class I SEEGX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index Investor VDAIX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Schwab Fundamental U.S. Large Company Index SFLNX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral Shares VFIAX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Small and Mid Cap - U.S. Equity
Mutual Fund Name Symbol Fund Information Fund Prospectus Balance  infoIcon.gif Available  infoIcon.gif Election  infoIcon.gif
Artisan Small Cap Institutional APHSX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Oppenheimer Main Street Class Y MIGYX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Neuberger Berman Mid Cap Intrinsic Val Inv NBRVX     * Closed to New Investors dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American Century Mid Cap Value Class I AVUAX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Parnassus Mid Cap Institutional PFPMX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard Small Cap Index Admiral Class VSMAX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
JP Morgan Small Cap Value Class I PSOPX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Non-U.S. Equity
Dodge & Cox International Stock Fund DODFX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Thornburg International Value Class I TGVIX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard Developed Markets Index Admiral VTMGX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Admiral VEMAX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Harbor International Fund Instl Class HAINX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American EuroPacific Growth Fund Class R-6 RERGX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Fixed Income
Harbor Bond Fund HABDX     * Closed to New Investors dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
AMG Managers Amundi Intermediate Gov N MGIDX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard Short Term Investment Grade VFSTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Dodge & Cox Income Fund DODIX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Metropolitan West Total Return Bond Class M MWTRX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Pimco Low Duration I PTLDX     * Closed to New Investors dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard Long-Term Bond Index Investor VBLTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Asset Allocation
Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth Investor VSCGX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth Investor VSMGX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2020 Target Date Class R6 RRCTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2025 Target Date Class R6 RFDTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2030 Target Date Class R6 RFETX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2035 Target Date Class R6 RFFTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2040 Target Date Class R6 RFGTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2045 Target Date Class R6 RFHTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2050 Target Date Class R6 RFITX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%
American 2055 Target Date Class R6 RFKTX dir_pdf.gif dir_pdf.gif 0.000 $0.00 0%

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Well the way the question was worded made me wonder if the question was "my employer would match 6% in a pre-tax 401k or 6% in a post-tax 401k".

Gotcha. Yeah, if he could effectively be in a situation where he’s effectively double taxed on the employer contribution if he did ROTH, going to traditional is the right way.

I can put up to 6% in to my retirement accounts and have my employer match it. I do a 3% split between the before tax account and the roth 401k but the employer contribution goes to a separate account, safe harbor matching? Knowing that, should I change to only be contributing to my roth 401k? Am I missing out on anything by just using target funds instead of specific stock?

3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

They'll match 6% contributions. I'm not sure if it has to be in one or the other, or both.

There’s 3 different things that could be going on here and now I’m confused.

If you make $50 per hour, and work $20 hours, you make $1,000 gross. If you put in $60, how much do they put in? Is it $60?

If $100 of that $1,000 is going to your HSA and is non-taxable, your taxable income is now $900. If you put in $60, what do they put in? Is it $60 or is it $54?

If that $60 is non-taxable, that would bring your taxable income down to $840. What are they putting in then? Is it $60, $56.40, or $50.40?

I guess it’s also possible that they’re matching 6% of whatever you put in, but that would be freaking trash if they only put in $3.60.

8 minutes ago, iPwn said:

There’s 3 different things that could be going on here and now I’m confused.

If you make $50 per hour, and work $20 hours, you make $1,000 gross. If you put in $60, how much do they put in? Is it $60?

If $100 of that $1,000 is going to your HSA and is non-taxable, your taxable income is now $900. If you put in $60, what do they put in? Is it $60 or is it $54?

If that $60 is non-taxable, that would bring your taxable income down to $840. What are they putting in then? Is it $60, $56.40, or $50.40?

I guess it’s also possible that they’re matching 6% of whatever you put in, but that would be freaking trash if they only put in $3.60.

I have no idea about any of this, but I can probably guess that if I put in $60, and that's 8% of my gross pay, they'll put in whatever 6% of that gross pay is (so I would put in $80 and they'd put in $60). Beyond that, I have no clue.

EDIT: To give you an idea, I'm looking at my transaction history and so for the most recent transaction I put in $233.13 and they matched at $160.

Edited by Darth Pees

@Darth Pees your employer has some boss-*** benefits.

You're going to want VFIAX, VSMAX, VTMGX, VEMAX, and VBLTX to more or less recreate the 3-fund portfolio.

• VFIAX and VSMAX in about a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio recreates most of the US stock market.
  • VTMGX and VEMAX in about 3:1 recreates most of the international market.
  • VBLTX is pretty much the bond market

So your allocation should be very heavy stocks vs. bonds. I'm 95/5 personally, but anywhere around 95/5 to even 80/20 works for your age.

How much international versus domestic is up to you. Some people choose 1:1. Personally right now, I'm 2:1 US:international, but there are people who recommend 3:1 or even more. So divide up accordingly.

Say you want to do what I do (95/5 stocks/bonds, 2:1 US:international), it would break down.

• 63.4% US stock market (VFIAX - 50.7% and VSMAX -12.7%)
  • 31.6% International market (VTMGX - 23.7% and VEMAX - 7.9%)
  • 5% VBLTX for bonds

TIFWIW

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Alright I feel a lot better now and I'm no longer in a panic about how I'm going to pay out-of-pocket for this. I checked my HSA and I had like $1,250 in there. Activated my HSA debit card and used that to pay for the services so hopefully that'll take care of it.

If not, and you did come out of pocket, you can get reimbursed off of the HSA when that happens. Like you paid the copay out of pocket, you can get that back from your HSA. Prescriptions work the same.

5 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

If not, and you did come out of pocket, you can get reimbursed off of the HSA when that happens. Like you paid the copay out of pocket, you can get that back from your HSA. Prescriptions work the same.

Luckily I didn't just pay it out of pocket at first. I ended up charging my HSA debit card, but yeah if I did end up paying and then realizing later that I had my HSA, I would have 100% reimbursed myself. I'm thankful others here reminded me of the HSA.