Preseason Week 4: Redskins @ Ravens

turtle28

18 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

2 questions

-is the 53 man roster due Monday?

Saturday, September 1, 4PM ET

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-19-important-nfl-dates/

As I didn't watch the game, I'll leave the Quick/Sims question to someone else, but based on the play-by-play, Quick was in during the 1st quarter (drew a false start). Both he and Sims were targeted in the second quarter.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

Saturday, September 1, 4PM ET

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-19-important-nfl-dates/

As I didn't watch the game, I'll leave the Quick/Sims question to someone else, but based on the play-by-play, Quick was in during the 1st quarter (drew a false start). Both he and Sims were targeted in the second quarter.

Wow Saturday seems quick. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Wow Saturday seems quick. Thanks!

Keep in mind that in years past, they would have cut down to 75 by this point. Also, let's be fair, there's maybe 5 or less guys who on the "53/practice squad line" and another 7 on the "practice squad/unemployed" line. The rest know their time is up already.

Hard to make any meaningful observations from a game like that. I hate when they say it will have a major effect on who makes the roster and who won’t...I can’t imagine a team going “well, we’ve watched these guys play every day for a month plus all the OTAs and formed evaluations based  all that data — but our mind was really made up by that nice play he made against the future Uber driver on the Ravens’ 4th string.”

However, having sat through every play of it, here’s my stab at a couple observations:

- Hogan is not very impressive. Think they could do better, even for a PS guy. 

- I really think Samaje Perine can play. It will be disappointing if they let him go. He looks to have much more burst this year and I think that makes him a good bet to be pretty effective behind a good OL.

- I really can’t make up my mind on Sims or Quick. The things Quick offers are really underrated — really good blocker for a WR, good ST guy on both coverage and returns, etc. But Sims has a lot of talent, and he clearly has more upside. Don’t think they can keep 7 WRs, so that’s a decision I don’t envy them having to make. 

- Keeping Montae Nicholson (and the rest of the starting DBs) healthy is gonna be absolutely crucial. Not feeling great about the depth in the secondary *right now* at least. Like the potential, but if we have a couple starters go down, I think we’re really raw and really bad tacklers. 

- I’m not sure SDH makes the roster. I really like his potential, but he’s just not there yet. I wouldn’t keep Vigil over him, but I think the Skins will. And if you’re keeping JHC as something of a developmental ILB, it might be tough to keep another. 

- Would like to see Pete Robertson make the roster. Think he could contribute on ST and I don’t feel great about the nickel pass rush with McPhee and Anderson. I’m also with an earlier poster who would consider bringing back Junior Galette. Wouldn’t pay him anything, but if he wants to swallow his pride to get a job, I’d take him. He can rush the passer. 

- Very curious to see if they decide to keep Flanagan and/or Holtz around on the PS. We could really use a developmental TE who can block. 

- On the OL, I have to say one guy who flashed was Timon Parris (#61). He was playing RT in the second half, and I was pretty impressed with him. I wish I had paid more attention to him in earlier games, but I’d keep him and look to develop him as an OG. He did a nice job in the run game and held his own in his pass sets too. 

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Safe to say the RBs are going* to be Peterson, Thompson, Kelley and Bibbs.

I think it’s premature to say that Perine is getting cut. 

I am a big Perine fan. Just not in our scheme. Maybe he can do big things elsewhere...

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

And this is why Lamar Jackson fell in the draft. He’s just not an accurate passer. World of talent though. 

He was lucky to be drafte by the Ravens in the last pick of the first round. he should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick imo. 

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

2 questions

-is the 53 man roster due Monday?

-I couldn’t watch up here in NY, anything

noteworthy on Sims vs Quick? 

-Was the pick they traded for Hogan conditional?

The only thing I can tell you about Sims vs.Quick is that Sims has had a much better preseason and could actually be one of the surprises to make the roster. While he is really really raw, he has size and upside. Quick didnt show me much during the preseason and is likely to be cut. 

The other guy I forgot to mention is Simmie Cobbs. No room for him on this roster, probably, but he will catch some passes in the league. He just looks like a pro in the way that he moves and especially the way he catches the ball. 

Could see him latching on with a team like GB at some point, seems like the kinda receiver they stockpile on the bottom part of their WR depth chart. 

Archived