Path to 53 - Tracking All Redskins Cuts

Slappy Mc

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Why are we so hung up on mediocre players? Spaight was not cut FOR Keyes. Spaight was cut from the original trim to 53. 

You’re arguing semantics.  Fact remains we replaced a draft pick who knew the playbook with a guy who’s been cut by 4 separate teams and doesn’t know the playbook and won’t have training camp to learn it.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

You’re arguing semantics.  Fact remains we replaced a draft pick who knew the playbook with a guy who’s been cut by 4 separate teams and doesn’t know the playbook and won’t have training camp to learn it.

The only thing I think of is they really liked what Keyes did on special teams because if he plays, that’s what he’ll be playing.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

What you are really upset about then is that the Redskins didn’t fly out the plane to resign Spaight when Marshall’s spot became available?

Honeslty it seems like a lateral move from each player to the other. They are both JAGs. Neither, barring significant injuriris, would see the field with the starting defense.

He had enough time to learn how to cover kickoffs for sure.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

What you are really upset about then is that the Redskins didn’t fly out the plane to resign Spaight when Marshall’s spot became available?

Honeslty it seems like a lateral move from each player to the other. They are both JAGs. Neither, barring significant injuriris, would see the field with the starting defense.

He had enough time to learn how to cover kickoffs for sure.

Spaight was pretty good.  I don't consider him JAG.

Spaight was one of our best run stopping players. PFF ranked him very highly in this area in 17. https://www.google.com/amp/s/redskinswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/24/three-redskins-lbs-earn-top-5-grade-for-2017-play/amp/

Keyes isn’t terrible but I agree this doesn’t make much sense UNLESS Keyes agreed to a lower salary. Spaight was at what 700k and Keyes was at around 900k on Texans but cut him. Maybe they dumpster dove and got him for vet minimum and Danny boy saved a few hundred thousand.  Remember boys the richer some guys get, the tighter they get with their money too. Here is LeSean McCoys tip while he played for eagles. ******

lesean-mccoy_c0-640-640-1013_s885x516.jp

http://www.theleadsports.com/10-worst-tippers-sports/

49 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Spaight was pretty good.  I don't consider him JAG.

You say that our #5 (#4 at best) ILB isn’t a JAG but our starting OLB is... 

Trust me , Spaight was a JAG. He made big hits and played the run well. He didn’t get off blocks (mainly due to his stature) and was atrocious in coverage. Typical one trick pony.

Mind you, I have been pulling for him since he was drafted. I thought he would be the 2 down-thumper we needed. But he never developed into that. Instead he got beat out by Will Compton and this year by Zach Vigil.

He is a JAG.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

When he was healthy.  He didn't make it through last year, and he's (I was going to take a shot at his age here but he's apparently only 29 years old).  

Go back and watch the film when Spaight “started” games. He played the run well yes, but he looked overmatched a lot. He constantly a step behind whoever he covered. 

He is a bull 100%. If you are in his lane and he is unimpeded, he will tackle you and probably hard. But in this day and age, with so much Nickel defense being played, there will be fewer and fewer spots on teams for under-gifted athletes, who make up for it with great instincts and form and more spots for the “Troy Apkes” out there.

I expect Spaight to latch on somewhere, but I don’t think he will ever start.

Spaight is perfect for the Steelers or Bengals defense. You’re right not a starter but the kind who will knock your block off. I’m not sure what our strategy is on defense- some go for slobber knocking ILB and others go for speedy smaller guys. We seem to lack a true identity on who we are as a team. Are we a tough run stopping first defense and sub in pass d players? No. Are we like the Packers or before that the old Cowboys built for the front to stop the run and our backers run free. No.  nothing new, just a continuation for many years of not being clear what identity we are. One thing we have been is the team that makes every tight end look like they belong in the hall of fame. I hope that changes this year

6 hours ago, Woz said:

FTFY. Planning for the future is a good idea though.

I dunno, Holtz will be 36 in 2029 when Gruden decides to hang it up after 2 SB wins and a borderline HOF resume. I’m not sure how much good he’ll be to us then, when the next coach comes aboard...

Plus I just have a hard time imagining the Redskins having the foresight to plan for 11 years down the road. I have to give you credit though — I try my best to stay positive about the team’s vision and decision makers and long term plan, but your optimism puts even mine to shame, my friend ?

I found it an interesting coincidence (or perhaps not a coincidence at all?) that PFF’s two sleeper LB’s in the 2015 draft were none other than Zack Vigil and Josh Keyes. See Article.

I have never (literally, never) thought of the Redskins as any sort of analytics based operation — but this intrigued me. Interesting that they would have pursued and acquired two guys whose college resumes bore markers of efficiency and positive projection indicators. Will be keeping an eye on this with future acquisitions.

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I found it an interesting coincidence (or perhaps not a coincidence at all?) that PFF’s two sleeper LB’s in the 2015 draft were none other than Zack Vigil and Josh Keyes. See Article.

I have never (literally, never) thought of the Redskins as any sort of analytics based operation — but this intrigued me. Interesting that they would have pursued and acquired two guys whose college resumes bore markers of efficiency and positive projection indicators. Will be keeping an eye on this with future acquisitions.

That's incredible . Can't believe you dug this up ! I too can't figure Keyes over Spaight and I try to always give management - the day to day guys - then benefit of the doubt . 

Do we have a head scratcher emoji ?

PS. Our Q B of the future didn't last long - Shimonek was cut already . 

Archived