Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

Just now, CWood21 said:

Just seems silly to carry 5 ILBs...

I mean right now we basically have 2....Martinez and Morrison. Crawford is ST only and Jones is a safety who we call a LB. Burks is hurt for at least 2-3 weeks probably.

As I stated before, Crawford probably gets cut when Aaron Jones comes back because Burks will be back or close by then.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, we're talking 2-3 weeks max last I checked.  I don't think the Packers activate more than 3 of their ILBs on gameday.

Right.  But Crawford isn't ready for snaps either.  I think he'll still be activated as a ST guy, but I'm sure they don't want him having to take snaps on defense since he's only been in camp for a few weeks.

Just now, Cheech said:

Both additions are welcome.  Both mean that we won't have to see Burks rushed back from injury and UDFA Crawford getting snaps on defense.  

Agreed.

And supplement to your comment about Waters...........
I was happy for the guy to finally make an NFL roster. Not unlike many athletes, its been a long haul for him given all the injuries along the way. He stuck with it and made it - for awhile at least. Cant say I'm totally sold on his coverage skills yet.........so I'd prefer TW stay healthy - but if not - the leak in the damn stop with House (although JJ might eventually become first man up). It's been awhile - or seems so at least to me - since I could feel comfortable and semi-excited to see our CB/DB play (with a quiet murmer of hope Kings shoulder holds up.....).

Just now, Cheech said:

Right.  But Crawford isn't ready for snaps either.  I think he'll still be activated as a ST guy, but I'm sure they don't want him having to take snaps on defense since he's only been in camp for a few weeks.

I mean, we're probably not going to activate more than 3 LBs.  You've got Martinez and Morrison as your starting ILBs, and Josh Jones slides down there in obvious passing situations for Martinez.  Crawford is active for ST and depth purposes.  I just don't know if I'd keep Crawford AND Toomer.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I imagine Kumerow will be waive/injured. Guy has a mild shoulder sprain, 8 weeks is overkill and unless we are extremely fortunate and healthy I highly doubt he's the choice to remove from IR. Let the guy find a spot to play this year.

Toomer is an athlete freak who can get you out of games starting. Another ILB though, unless we're moving Crawford to OLB, but still he has no business taking reps there.

Team needs an EDGE, it's pretty irresponsible to let the roster stand we're it does at EDGE.

I know we disagree on this, but I have my doubts about Davis or any of the three rookies playing major roles if one of the top three goes down. (and history says they will) Maybe they will bring in a veteran WR?

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would imagine half the players in the NFL are available for a late round pick at any time, so yes I would say there are players to be had.

Ones for free? I think John Simon is all that interests me.

I don't think the Packers are going to give up a pick for a fringe upgrade over what we already have.  Jeff Holland was cut by the Broncos, and I'd have taken a gamble on him.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I know we disagree on this, but I have my doubts about Davis or any of the three rookies playing major roles if one of the top three goes down. (and history says they will) Maybe they will bring in a veteran WR?

Highly doubt it. Don't think the Packers have much concerns about that either. 

You gotta pick and choose your battles. With the learning curve at WR, and the investments Gute has made, what you see is what you're gonna get IMO. 

I think the back up ILB position is unsettled right now so they are bringing in guys to see if they can improve.  I am not convinced that any of Morrison, Crawford and the new guy are anything other than special teams bodies and tryouts at ILB.

I think you guys are kidding yourself to think that the Waters move was a protection strategy.  He was a placeholder for additional pickups.  You will always have 53 on the roster at the end of the cutdown day, with the next set of cuts in mind as you bring in guys to improve the roster.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I don't think the Packers are going to give up a pick for a fringe upgrade over what we already have.  Jeff Holland was cut by the Broncos, and I'd have taken a gamble on him.

It's not that we're talking fringe upgrade or not, it's pure numbers. You have two highly injury prone EDGE players. One gets hurt you are down to one backup. Upgrade or not the roster needs a 5th EDGE.

I get it, but I wouldn't bet against EQ or MVS this year.  With what we have at TE, I think well see 2 TE sets on the majority of offensive snaps. We'll be fine at WR.

EDGE is the most concerning position to me. Not only do we only have 3 capable of setting the edge vs. the run, our 2 starters haven't seen 16 games since... 

I don't know when.

Archived