Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/09/01/packers-roster-cuts-brian-gutekunst-big-day/1158864002/

"A source indicated the Packers might bring Ripkowski back in the next few days. If he is claimed on waivers, the Packers could perhaps sign Joe Kerridge."

Silverstein also made reference to something like this.  I don't get it?  If they want him, why did they cut him in the first place?  

1. Kumerow or somebody will be sent to IR, which will then open up the spot?
  2. Or financial reasons?  They can bring him back as a street free agent cheaper than his contract would have otherwise been?
  3. Protecting somebody from waiver claim?  For example, if Tonyan (or whomever) got cut today, a team might have claimed him?  But if Tonyan gets waived next Friday, he's more likely to get through to PS? (Or that could be Light, or Moore or EQ or Raven Green or Boyle or whomever....)  

11 minutes ago, craig said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/09/01/packers-roster-cuts-brian-gutekunst-big-day/1158864002/

"A source indicated the Packers might bring Ripkowski back in the next few days. If he is claimed on waivers, the Packers could perhaps sign Joe Kerridge."

Silverstein also made reference to something like this.  I don't get it?  If they want him, why did they cut him in the first place?  

1. Kumerow or somebody will be sent to IR, which will then open up the spot?
  2. Or financial reasons?  They can bring him back as a street free agent cheaper than his contract would have otherwise been?
  3. Protecting somebody from waiver claim?  For example, if Tonyan (or whomever) got cut today, a team might have claimed him?  But if Tonyan gets waived next Friday, he's more likely to get through to PS? (Or that could be Light, or Moore or EQ or Raven Green or Boyle or whomever....)  

I'd hope it isnt #2 - as thats just doing the guy dirty IMO. If you're gonna "yo-yo" him out there solely cause you'll be picking his pockets on the return.......
You ask me, thats not conducive to a happy locker room.

Q for you exhibition watchers and good scouts:  

Do you have any scouting observations on the new guys who made it and who didn't necessarily get a lot of discussion during camp?  Think Boyle and Kumerow and Tonyan, they've all been discussed extensively, but I don't recall much about the other four.  So if you've got any observations and thoughts about any or all of them, I'd love to hear them.

1. Raven Green
  2. Alex Light
  3. Crawford?  
  4. Herb Waters?  

6 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Dont really see the trade value in Davis after playing 1 preseason game. Guessing its gonna be a 7th rounder if they do?

I’m not saying he will make it happen but at some point he’s going to have to shed one of those receivers and I don’t think any of them could make it to the PS.

Or heres a possible angle.......
Cause CHI suddenly realizes they're tight on pocket change they accept a trade with us.
We send them J'mon for Anthony Miller :)

Doesnt do much for our abundance of WR bodies - but I like the talent upgrade........

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Who on the initial 53 is an option for the IR "but we'll return you later" option?

None... unless one of them got injured and I don't know about it.

The Packers straight up IRed Murphy, Mays and Rollins before they were put on the 53 man roster, so either they have be kept on IR all year, or released with injury settlement, which Packers will have to wait 6 weeks longer than the other 31 teams before signing them, once their injury settlement is up.

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, I mean some guys on the roster are hurt- we know about shoulder issues for Burks and Kumerow.  I don't believe there's any requirement that you have to be healthy to make the initial 53.

Very true, but there is a requirement to make the IR, it has to be a "serious" injury which is suppose to knock you out of play at least 6 weeks... and all reports have suggested that Burks and Kumerow injuries are "minor" and that they should be able to play the first couple of weeks (Kumerow's one even said maybe ready for opener).

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

36 minutes ago, Beast said:

None... unless one of them got injured and I don't know about it.

The Packers straight up IRed Murphy, Mays and Rollins before they were put on the 53 man roster, so either they have be kept on IR all year, or released with injury settlement, which Packers will have to wait 6 weeks longer than the other 31 teams before signing them, once their injury settlement is up.

13 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

If they put someone on IR after the cuts, they can come back off of it.  Murphy and Rollins are done for the season barring an injury settlement.

I got you guys

Archived