Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

1 hour ago, craig said:

I recall there being much enthusiasm about the UDFA secondary class that year:  Hawkins, Dorleant, Evans, Brice; tons of speed and athleticism, great measurables.  Lots of first-camp talk about how many of them looked to have tools that seemed more like 3rd-round than UDFA.  But often UDFA with excellent measurables are missing something in instincts-decision-making department.  So now after some years of D+D efforts, it's time to try new D+D prospects for the back-of-the-roster.  

Brice is an adequate starter a few years down the line.

At the time, if you said you got an adequate starter (on an UDFA rookie contract) out of the group, you would bite their hand off regardless of what happened to the others. Without question, you would have to regard that UDFA class as a big win. Like you say, the big thing is to let the guys who don't pan out relatively quickly so there is room to try some more.

Ryan Wood:

So, to be clear, Ahmad Thomas was fully intent on staying with the #Packers. It was the team that turned him away, per source, after going through trouble of calling him into their facility. We'll see if that comes back to hurt them. Certainly doesn't help build relationships.

(Thats kind of odd you ask me.....)

40 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Practice Squad update

DL James Looney
OLB Kendall Donnerson
OL Adam Pankey
DL Tyler Lancaster
LB Greer Martini
C Austin Davis

Seems like we're waiting a long time for the last four, but I guess they might be from different teams.

We still (at least) need a RB and CB

54 minutes ago, Chili said:

Nobody claims any of our players after final cuts. I literally cannot remember the last time this happened.

Goes to show what the other 31 teams think of our depth players.

We freak out each year about losing the players we cut on waivers to other teams but they always make their way back to our PS, the ones we want to keep that is.

It looks like this year, they made more of a concerted effort to keep the players they wanted to keep (and were likely to get claimed) rather than getting the best roster for week 1 which is why there is no-one left to claim.

If we had picked the best week 1 53 man roster then players like Boyle and some of the receivers wouldn't be on the roster and may have been more likely to claimed.

It's a business, but I'm really not sure what else Thomas needed to do to make this team, and then get turned away for the PS. They must have just not seen a need for a backup to Burks, as if Burks hits he'll be a rich mans Thomas. Odd none the less, I hope he has a great career with the Colts, certainly has earned it.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It's a business, but I'm really not sure what else Thomas needed to do to make this team, and then get turned away for the PS. They must have just not seen a need for a backup to Burks, as if Burks hits he'll be a rich mans Thomas. Odd none the less, I hope he has a great career with the Colts, certainly has earned it.

Be interesting to see how he plays on that carpet - if he gets the chance. He's "built for the carpet" so to speak.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Be interesting to see how he plays on that carpet - if he gets the chance. He's "built for the carpet" so to speak.

Man, after that comment all I can think is "does the carpet match the drapes"

But yeah, I thought Thomas was going to make the 53 man roster... so I'm also confused why they don't want him even for PS. Guy could fly and seemed like a good #2 coverage ILB behind Burks... though I'm interested in Crawford, some suggesting Crawford is a very good tweener of ILB/OLB/S and can cover like a Safety but also blitz. I guess I'll have to wait to see more.

On Biegel-To me, I’d wonder if Gutey didn’t like the pick last year when TT drafted the kid, and that he simply hasn’t shown enough promise as an OLB to justify a roster spot. It will be interesting to see how Vince does in New Orleans.

This reminds me a bit of the Carl Bradford pick a few years back. He too was a high motor player who was highly effective in college, but he just didn’t cut it as an OLB.  So the Packers tried moving him inside. But he just didn’t develop into a viable NFL player, during or after his time in Green Bay. The obvious difference being that Gutey didn’t invest 2+ years in hoping Biegel would develop, like TT did with Bradford.

We shall see...

Archived