Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

The Green Bay Packers signed the following players to the practice squad: RB Joel Bouagnon, C Austin Davis, LB Kendall Donnerson, FB Joe Kerridge, DL Tyler Lancaster, DL James Looney, LB Greer Martini and G/T Adam Pankey. The transactions were announced Sunday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.

All eight of the signees to the practice squad were with the Packers during the 2018 preseason.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

The Green Bay Packers signed the following players to the practice squad: RB Joel Bouagnon, C Austin Davis, LB Kendall Donnerson, FB Joe Kerridge, DL Tyler Lancaster, DL James Looney, LB Greer Martini and G/T Adam Pankey. The transactions were announced Sunday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.

All eight of the signees to the practice squad were with the Packers during the 2018 preseason.

You keep hearing about these rules about the practice squad and years accured in the league, makes you wonder how we keep getting that UDFA we signed back in 1997 Joe Kerridge on our practice squad every single year.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

2 open spots, likely for whatever 2 guys end up getting cut from the 53-man roster

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Our bottom of the roster players really are undesirable for other teams. xD

Pipkins, Janis, Barclay all cut very recently...i'm sure there's more i've forgotten.

Chili, the Packers have tended to have a handful of guys picked up by other teams, whether 53 or practice squad, in previous seasons.  

Last year Tysom Hill, Brian Price, Jordan Tripp, and Mac McCaffrey were all picked up.  (Plus Dupree to a practice squad.)  2016 Ringo went to Bengals and Barrington to Chiefs.  So this year is somewhat unusual in that regard.  

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You keep hearing about these rules about the practice squad and years accured in the league, makes you wonder how we keep getting that UDFA we signed back in 1997 Joe Kerridge on our practice squad every single year.

I honestly dont keep track of the PS rules......just the total number of players allowed.
I can tell you in a general sense......none of the players listed give me a "Gee....I cant wait till he becomes a starter for us" kick in the pants.
Not because they stink.....just.....because.

Just now, Leader said:

I honestly dont keep track of the PS rules......just the total number of players allowed.
I can tell you in a general sense......none of the players listed give me a "Gee....I cant wait till he becomes a starter for us" kick in the pants.
Not because they stink.....just.....because.

My post had nothing to do with the rules, just the fact that somehow every year Joe Kerridge does absolutely nothing, gets exposed to waivers, no team wants him and somehow he ends up back in GB over and over lol.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

My post had nothing to do with the rules, just the fact that somehow every year Joe Kerridge does absolutely nothing, gets exposed to waivers, no team wants him and somehow he ends up back in GB over and over lol.

I got it. The thought didnt fly over my head. :)

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yuck. Out of every RB who touched the ball this preseason for us, I was the least impressed by Bouagnon. 

Not sure on that, but I feel somewhat the same, little interest in Bouagnon.  I'd have thought somebody around the league who got waived somewhere would have been more appealing to me than Joel B.  I kinda hope they do some more processing and turn it over for somebody more appealing, in due time.  

Q:  Are you allowed to recruit from somebody else's practice squad and sign them to yours?  I know you can for your 53; but would you be allowed to call somebody on Detroit or Giants PS or whatever, and offer them $20K bonus and a higher weekly salary to come and practice on your PS?  Or would be illegal and qualify as tampering?  

Of course, I may be way off.  Maybe Joel B is the best blocking back around, and he'd be OK if injury necessitate?  

28 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

On Biegel-To me, I’d wonder if Gutey didn’t like the pick last year when TT drafted the kid, and that he simply hasn’t shown enough promise as an OLB to justify a roster spot. It will be interesting to see how Vince does in New Orleans.

This reminds me a bit of the Carl Bradford pick a few years back. He too was a high motor player who was highly effective in college, but he just didn’t cut it as an OLB.  So the Packers tried moving him inside. But he just didn’t develop into a viable NFL player, during or after his time in Green Bay. The obvious difference being that Gutey didn’t invest 2+ years in hoping Biegel would develop, like TT did with Bradford.

We shall see...

I feel like day 3 is when you start taking guys who have a valuable projectable trait (in those specific cases- motor) and see if he can pick up the other parts of the game he'll need.  Some people won't, but if you hit on, say an offensive tackle with good feet later in the draft it's a lot more valuable than if you were to hit a guy with a more rounded game with fewer plus characteristics.  Like, aside from the QB, the previous GM's single best pick might have been Bakhtiari.

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yuck. Out of every RB who touched the ball this preseason for us, I was the least impressed by Bouagnon. 

Out of every RB who touched the ball this preseason for us, he was the ONLY ONE to stay healthy!

That might of been the most impressive part!

The Thomas story is really weird.  I'd have thought he'd be a guy they'd have liked to keep, first.  Second, it just seems like weird human-resources processing.  Third, if you were maybe going to sign him, but then changed your mind, I'd have thought that might be the deal if there was an outside guy who agreed to sign who you liked better.  Except, to our knowledge they have NOT signed anybody outside instead.  So, was it like we'll invite Thomas and Joel B and sign Thomas if Joel B gets signed by the Vikings instead or something?  I can't really see that....

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

With Kerridge going to the PS and word out that Rip may be added back to the roster, is the theory that the Packers are moving away from the FB position simply wrong?

And, if FBs still have a role in GB, did they expose Kerridge & Rip to the other 31 teams because they knew few other teams utilize FBs these days so they were unlikely to be sought after or because the rest of the league doesn't think much of Kerridge/Rip so they could chance it? 

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I believe it's more complex than this, but keeping it simple, I think the general rules are

1. They can't play 9 or more than 9 games in a single season (there might be a limited exception to this)
  2. You only get 3 years on the PS (so I think this would be Kerridge's 3rd and last)

Archived