Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

LOL, I just figured he meant smaller fighters. And he said all this fight proved is you just have to tire out the opposing fighter in those weigh classes to win by default. Ha. Really? I don't think you see many guys as tired as Conor was there....Since he obviously wasn't hurt.....

Look at how tired Ricky Hatton is:

He keeps falling asleep in the ring. Man, he must have been out of shape.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Some amateur tournaments (local ones) are hilarious. You definitely see wild stuff with fighters flailing all over the ring like Conor. 

But as Conor said, Floyd was much more composed and made him throw shots he didn't want to. For being so much bigger than Floyd (At least 15-20 pound weight advantage), very few of his shots had any steam on them. He wasn't close to hurting Floyd at all and was clearly just trying to build up points by being active. That was actually shown in his sparring with Paulie. He needs to learn to sit on his shots more and that way he could do much more damage. I mean it wouldn't have mattered all that much today but still.

He isn't an easy target to strike, even at 40. If he was he wouldn't have been 49-0 coming in. I'm surprised McGregor landed the percentage he did, pretty impressive for a non professional boxer.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I won't be because I'd be the one responsible for having to make your idiotic arguments for you. Yes, it was fatigue causing Conor to lose his balance, stagger all over the ring, and repeatedly get punched in the face while his hands were at his side.

Christ, man, never be my client.

If you think lightweight boxing is a joke, your opinion on this subject is worth ignoring.

I wish we got to chose our clients and/or have them behave in a rational manner.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

I’m just confused how Conor was getting rapidly more and more “tired” when he dropped his hands, stopped throwing punches and just stood there. 

Did you not see the match? Taking all of those punches wears you out, man. Conor had to work his face muscles out every time Floyd hit him there.

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

He isn't an easy target to strike, even at 40. If he was he wouldn't have been 49-0 coming in. I'm surprised McGregor landed the percentage he did, pretty impressive for a non professional boxer.

Oh no doubt. Floyd still is very good, but probably no longer elite at his age. There are some WWs that would really trouble him, and likely beat him in the case of Spence. 

But it's just McGregor was tiring himself throwing little pitty pat shots when he should have tried to sit down on his shots. He still landed more shots than guys like Pacquiao and Canelo which is an awesome accomplishment. Granted, Floyd didn't fight those guys nearly the same way.

Go to the 1:07:08 point. Wow. Ricky was 100% coherent. Can't believe the ref called it. He was just tired. This is obvious because Ricky looks just fine. 

Moral of the story: Boxing sucks because they literally don't allow opponents to end lives in the ring. It shouldn't count as a KO unless the person is completely incoherent and needs immediate medical attention for at least 15 minutes after the fight. If they can speak for the post-fight interview, it's not a KO...

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

I watch boxing a decent amount (watch Lomachenko's last 4-5 fights, watched Errol Spence's last fight, Joshu/Klitschko, both Ward/Kovalev, seen a couple GGG fights, seen a couple Canelo fights, watched the last two Terence Crawford fights, etc.). Don't watch it nearly as much MMA tho. 

Your edit doesn't make sense tho because you don't know which Floyd fights I have watched  (it's not a lot purposely). 

Then, you've clearly watched enough boxing to know that the fight was hardly competitive. 

McGregor was active early and won the first rounds on the scorecard because of it, but he wasn't even landing that much of what he threw. The uppercut in the first round was nice and he did fine with his jab, but nothing overly impressive those first few rounds. 

Floyd was landing even less then, but that's only cause he was trying to let Conor tire himself out which obviously worked cause you saw him breathing deeply in between rounds soon after and at around round 5 you knew he was gassed. 

Nothing was really competitive after the first few rounds and the first few were only competitive cause Floyd allowed them to be so he could be in better position later in the fight.

Am I supposed to be surprised he didn't get dropped? He clearly came into the ring at a much heavier weight and Floyd isn't the most powerful puncher. He also didn't start taking punishment until after the first few rounds anyways and would've been flat on the mat soon if the fight hadn't got stopped.

I'm watching Conor's interview right now, and his left eye is swollen from all those right hands Floyd was landing. To say he was not marked up at all is not true at all.

That kind of swelling often occurs in marathon runners.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Then, you've clearly watched enough boxing to know that the fight was hardly competitive. 

McGregor was active early and won the first rounds on the scorecard because of it, but he wasn't even landing that much of what he threw. The uppercut in the first round was nice and he did fine with his jab, but nothing overly impressive those first few rounds. 

Floyd was landing even less then, but that's only cause he was trying to let Conor tire himself out which obviously worked cause you saw him breathing deeply in between rounds soon after and at around round 5 you knew he was gassed. 

Nothing was really competitive after the first few rounds and the first few were only competitive cause Floyd allowed them to be so he could be in better position later in the fight.

Am I supposed to be surprised he didn't get dropped? He clearly came into the ring at a much heavier weight and Floyd isn't the most powerful puncher. He also didn't start taking punishment until after the first few rounds anyways and would've been flat on the mat soon if the fight hadn't got stopped.

It was an active match, but yea, it wasn't that competitive. Floyd always takes the first 2 to 4 rounds to figure a fighter out. He did the same today. He wasn't really fighting the first two rounds. He was seeing what Conor had. After Round 3, Floyd dominated the fight. It's not a surprise. Conor did better than expected, but it wasn't a close fight imo.

Plus, Conor looked better than he might have otherwise because Floyd took the action to him instead of playing defense like he would have against a more skilled opponent.

Floyd also didn't fear Conor's power at all.

Oh no doubt. Floyd still is very good, but probably no longer elite at his age. There are some WWs that would really trouble him, and likely beat him in the case of Spence. 

But it's just McGregor was tiring himself throwing little pitty pat shots when he should have tried to sit down on his shots. He still landed more shots than guys like Pacquiao and Canelo which is an awesome accomplishment. Granted, Floyd didn't fight those guys nearly the same way.

I get that, as a boxer he is extremely flawed. He would lose to a lot of boxers. If Mayweather wasn't 40 Conor would have been frustrated much earlier and probably would have got dominated from the start. He probably still lasts awhile because Mayweather doesn't have great power but once Conor was exhausted he would be able to end the fight one way or another.

Archived