Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

Just now, RaiderX said:

If he does, he's gonna fight the "bums" to build up a record. I wanna see him fight Spence tho. Put the dream to bed.

Nooooooooooo!! Keep him away from prime killers like Spence. Put him in against old washed up guys with decent names like Paulie. Heck, put him against Amir Khan LOL.

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

No but it happens (not you winning the lotto that will never happen).

The point I'm making is that Sanchez said "decent chance." There wasn't a decent chance of Conor winning. His power didn't phase Floyd, and he wasn't going to out-skill him.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, the potential is there. 

But, he's nearing 30. It's kinda late to get into boxing. Isn't it?

Oh yeah it's definitely way too late. Based on the interviews after the fight, it sounds like Connor might be thinking about a few more attempts at boxing. Not sure who he'd even try to fight.

5 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

If Connor was a few years younger and fully committed to boxing, he'd be pretty damn good and a very entertaining fighter. 

The potential is there. In the first couple rounds I was a bit surprised at Connor's length against Floyd. His arms and his reach are great.

And he clearly has the work ethic to be refine his skills as a boxer.

I guess we'll see where Connor goes now.

This is exactly what I said before the fight. He has legit boxing skills, it's just he does a lot of amateur things because he doesn't have enough experience. But if he started boxing in his late teens and just focused on boxing, he could have been a champion with Bob Arum. Would he ever beat guys like Canelo? GGG? Likely not, but he could have beat some of the weaker champs.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nooooooooooo!! Keep him away from prime killers like Spence. Put him in against old washed up guys with decent names like Paulie. Heck, put him against Amir Khan LOL.

I think the name you're looking for is Jeff Horn.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

The point I'm making is that Sanchez said "decent chance." There wasn't a decent chance of Conor winning. His power didn't phase Floyd, and he wasn't going to out-skill him.

Oh I agree and I didn't say you were wrong I just stated the actual chance he had. A puncher's chance isn't usually defined as a decent chance. I think it accurately describes Conor's chance, which wasn't good but but it was somewhere above 0%.

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

His gameplan was obviously to wear him out but I don't think the part of Floyd taking the action to him and not playing defense are true. He barely threw and covered up most of the 1st half of the fight. 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

decent chance where I thought it was worth watching and in comparison to other people (not counting crazy Conor fans)

the fight actually went longer than I thought it would and Conor did better than I thought

Yeah, Floyd definitely wanted to put mental pressure Conor and take over in the 2nd half like he did.

But Sanchez is right, early on the part of the game plan wasn't to only throw 10-15 punches a round. He legitimately had a hard time getting Conor's timing and style down. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, Floyd definitely wanted to put mental pressure Conor and take over in the 2nd half like he did.

But Sanchez is right, early on the part of the game plan wasn't to only throw 10-15 punches a round. He legitimately had a hard time getting Conor's timing and style down. 

That and his reach. 

Mayweather could have felt him out for 6 rounds if he wanted. If the fight went more than three rounds I don't think anyone really expected him to lose. He wasn't going to get outboxed. There was no reason for scorecards. The only question was if Conor could hurt him early.

The fight only looked as competitive as it did because Floyd decided he didn't need to fear Conor's skill or punching power and started selling out from the 4th round on to take power shots at Conor to go for the KO and leave enough little openings that Conor couldn't capitalize on until he wasted all his stamina and couldn't defend himself. Floyd was walking down some straight shots from Conor and leading with his right at times. 

Floyd could have done what he usually does and just play defense and win 12 rounds and go to bed. He just felt like he was in absolutely no danger and was willing to sell out to get a stoppage and it probably didn't bother him that Conor got a few easy hits in that made the fight more interesting to the layman. There's a reason why the greatest defensive boxer of all time spent more time on offense this fight than at any point in his career. Floyd was practically brimming with glee the whole fight after the first minute or so of the first round and he realized how easy this would be.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

The first three rounds was Floyd literally sticking his head out and letting Conor hit him. Everything past that was a clinic. Conor did nothing after Floyd stopped screwing around.

It was really weird seeing Floyd fight how he did tonight. It's like he wasn't even trying.

He wasn't moving his feet nearly as much.

He was coming straight at Conor.

He was squared up a lot and really didn't use his shoulder roll.

It was probably a combination of Conor's taunting getting him to fight more straight up and also him not taking Conor that seriously. 

I think its more so the latter. I can't imagine him fighting like that against a professional boxer.

Floyd often times against southpaws goes away from his shoulder roll. He will use his high guard defense as he did today. But I think you guys are selling Conor a bit short. Part of the reason Floyd fought the way he did was because of Conor's awkward style and huge size advantage. But I do agree he had a little different mindset and wasn't nearly at his best. Though that shouldn't be that big of a surprise with him being out for two years and being 40 years old. 

Who here is a boxing fan like they watch more than just the big fights?

I'm curious who I should be looking out for in the boxing world (don't just say GGG).

Like who are some fighters that are fun to watch? They could be established or up and coming. Doesn't really matter.

Archived