Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

11 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

Conor will weigh 158 lbs at the fight at the most. He isn't putting on 10+ lbs in 24 hours. 

They (Conor's team) say that's what they usually weigh during fights.

Diego Sanchez gained 26 lbs in 24 hours. Link
Thiago Alves gained 27. Link

I thought most MMA fighters put on at least 10 pounds between weighins and the fight, unless they all lie about it.

26 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Probably nothing.  He goes back to mma, and continues to be their biggest star.  I am not a huge fan of his, but he is a marketing genius.  A loss to an all time great in a different sport probably won't do a thing to his marketability.

I would agree if the buildup was different. But with Conor's guarantees, his fans being adament he will win, a lot of MMA people thinking he has a good chance, I think it will hurt his reputation a little. Every rational person expects him to get beat (and badly). But his/UFC fanbase think he has a very good chance tonight and if he gets absolutely destroyed that certainly will change perception. You can't be that confident going in and then say well he wasn't supposed to win he isn't a boxer after he gets killed when they said for weeks/months he would win. 

Just now, Ragnarok said:

As someone who cut weight for collegiate wrestling, I could put on 10 pounds back on in a few hours.  

Well that is you and your not McGregor or are we talking about Wrestling(which are just a entire different group of animal of human beings).

If he could do that, he would of done for every UFC he has ever had. He usually comes in a few pounds over the weigh ins. When he fought 145 lbs he foguth at maybe 149 lbs at the most when he fought at 155 lbs he came in barely 158 lbs-159 lbs.  His coaches have said he gains strength from the cut, it puts him in a mental state of war. Its actually one of the reason they think the first Diaz fight didn't go so well for him.. 

You can only put on so much water weight, so much glycogen in a certain amount of time. 3-4 lbs of water weight maybe 1/2 of glycogen. He isn't going to come in bloated and weighed down or over consumed with food to box. Just not going to happen. 

Also that ability to put on weight in 24 hours after a cut is genetic to. Like some people Endomorphic people have freakish glycogen stores, they can handle a insane amount of food and store a ton of water and glycogen compared to your every person on that same turn around. Conor has never been that guy. 

3 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

Well that is you and your not McGregor or are we talking about Wrestling(which are just a entire different group of animal of human beings).

If he could do that, he would of done for every UFC he has ever had. He usually comes in a few pounds over the weigh ins. When he fought 145 lbs he foguth at maybe 149 lbs at the most when he fought at 155 lbs he came in barely 158 lbs-159 lbs.  His coaches have said he gains strength from the cut, it puts him in a mental state of war. Its actually one of the reason they think the first Diaz fight didn't go so well for him.. 

You can only put on so much water weight, so much glycogen in a certain amount of time. 3-4 lbs of water weight maybe 1/2 of glycogen. He isn't going to come in bloated and weighed down or over consumed with food to box. Just not going to happen. 

Well, that wasn't uncommon for anyone I knew that wrestled.  So I would think that a professional would have a system down to put on a fair amount of healthy weight in 24 hours.  

That said, I have to admit to not knowing a ton about his cutting habits, so I could very well be wrong.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:
1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

They (Conor's team) say that's what they usually weigh during fights.

Diego Sanchez gained 26 lbs in 24 hours. Link
Thiago Alves gained 27. Link

I thought most MMA fighters put on at least 10 pounds between weighins and the fight, unless they all lie about it.

27 pounds! Holy crap

That is complete BS (not trying to be rude). They were just playing head games with there opponents. 

Why are you making stuff up? No pro fighter cuts 15-20 pounds to only add 5 back.

Conor McGregor stepped on the scale at 153 pounds at the weigh-in Friday, just a little heavier than the 149 1/2 pounds for Floyd Mayweather Jr. Both made it under the 154-pound limit, but on fight night McGregor may be as many as 20 pounds heavier than his opponent.

“A lot bigger than him,” McGregor answered when Showtime’s Jim Gray asked how much he’ll weigh Saturday. “I’d say close to 170 [pounds].”

That’s not surprising and is similar to the weight McGregor has fought at in the UFC

Archived