Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

For those of you who think McGregor has no shot of winning and can't even imagine it please watch this 17 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8KWLAwnIs

He brings up some very valid points.

- Conor spends a ridiculous amount on his training camps.

- Conor replicates everything he possibly can for fight night. He has the exact same ring, same ropes, virtually has replicated everything to no surprises.

- Conor is an absolute film junkie and may have watched all of Mayweathers 49 fights looking for any kind of opening.

- Maybe most important, Conors confidence is something we have never seen before. The guy cannot envision himself losing and he will not come into the fight thinking he is some huge underdog with his confidence shaken.

His confidence and preparation are otherworldly. Do I think Conor wins? Of course not. My official prediction is Floyd by Retirement/TKO inbetween Rounds 9 and 10 with McGregors corner throwing in the towel. However, people betting their savings on Mayweather like $10,000 to win like $2,000 because he is like some "golden lock" are just not smart people. McGregor's dedication, work ethic, and unmatched confidence can make anything happen in this fight.

Only thing he can't replicate is fighting one of the GOAT, tbf.

41 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

In boxing, obviously. But he knocked out the only 145 champ the UFC ever had. Pretty sure he was P4P #1 at the time too.

And its the only fight that can lead anyone to go "watch(insert fight) and look at his boxing skills." 

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Asterisk? Who cares about the 50-0 record. It's a good storyline breaking Marciano's record, but it really isn't a true record. We have seen a few other fighters surpass the 50-0 mark to only lose later Ala JCC Sr. He started like 87-0 before losing. 

For him this is a pure money grab. If the PPV does as well as the Pacquiao one or even better, then he's walking away with 200+ million. He's also the first megastar boxer during the social media era so he will have developed a cult following that will think he really is TBE. But if he loses? Obviously that will hurt him greatly. 

I think plenty of the boxing world (fans and pros) will look back at this as a negative for Mayweather's legacy.

There's no doubting his greatness, but his obsession with his own legacy just makes this fight weird for me (again, assuming he doesn't have money problems), because the boxing purists are always going to come back to this and talk about how much of a clown show it was.

I'm just saying for a guy that says he's the best ever, and wants to be remembered as the best ever, taking this fight doesn't make any sense outside of just pure $$$ and nothing else.

That said, it's happening, and I just want to see fireworks.

How hilarious would it be if McGregor knocked him out in some weird/controversial way like the Mayweather Ortiz thing. I just want to see something crazy.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I expect nothing from this...no controversy no excitement no nothing...and i hope to see it lol

I honestly don't think it's going to go 12 rounds...I think the overwhelming probability is that Mayweather stops McGregor from just a sheer volume of perfectly accurate punches. Not a KO, but a referee or corner stoppage.

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

For those of you who think McGregor has no shot of winning and can't even imagine it please watch this 17 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8KWLAwnIs

He brings up some very valid points.

- Conor spends a ridiculous amount on his training camps.

- Conor replicates everything he possibly can for fight night. He has the exact same ring, same ropes, virtually has replicated everything to no surprises.

- Conor is an absolute film junkie and may have watched all of Mayweathers 49 fights looking for any kind of opening.

- Maybe most important, Conors confidence is something we have never seen before. The guy cannot envision himself losing and he will not come into the fight thinking he is some huge underdog with his confidence shaken.

His confidence and preparation are otherworldly. Do I think Conor wins? Of course not. My official prediction is Floyd by Retirement/TKO inbetween Rounds 9 and 10 with McGregors corner throwing in the towel. However, people betting their savings on Mayweather like $10,000 to win like $2,000 because he is like some "golden lock" are just not smart people. McGregor's dedication, work ethic, and unmatched confidence can make anything happen in this fight.

The problem with this argument is that it assumes that Mayweather isn't preparing just as hard. Mayweather is one of the best in-ring tacticians of all time. You don't become that without insane preparation. And then, of course, there's the massive difference in skill level. There's nothing stupid about betting a bunch of money on Mayweather. McGregor will need a miracle to win.

6 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

I think plenty of the boxing world (fans and pros) will look back at this as a negative for Mayweather's legacy.

There's no doubting his greatness, but his obsession with his own legacy just makes this fight weird for me (again, assuming he doesn't have money problems), because the boxing purists are always going to come back to this and talk about how much of a clown show it was.

I'm just saying for a guy that says he's the best ever, and wants to be remembered as the best ever, taking this fight doesn't make any sense outside of just pure $$$ and nothing else.

That said, it's happening, and I just want to see fireworks.

How hilarious would it be if McGregor knocked him out in some weird/controversial way like the Mayweather Ortiz thing. I just want to see something crazy.

I doubt it. People will either not care or enjoy Mayweather putting the delusional UFC fans in their place.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:03 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good post gopherwrestler. I think it was Jeremy Schaap who said one of the reasons this fight is so popular is because the amount of people telling others not to watch it. Aside from the hardcore McGregor fans, how many are actually going in thinking it will be competitive? No need to take it so serious. 

I just enjoy watching Mayweather fight. This will likely be the last time that happens. Might as well tune in.

40 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Mayweather is one of the best in-ring tacticians of all time. You don't become that without insane preparation.

You could argue that McGregor having no boxing tape really is probably a positive for him, Floyd can't be sure of what his tactics will be. 

6 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

I honestly don't think it's going to go 12 rounds...I think the overwhelming probability is that Mayweather stops McGregor from just a sheer volume of perfectly accurate punches. Not a KO, but a referee or corner stoppage.

Cant imagine Conor would allow them to throw in the towel

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The problem with this argument is that it assumes that Mayweather isn't preparing just as hard. Mayweather is one of the best in-ring tacticians of all time. You don't become that without insane preparation. And then, of course, there's the massive difference in skill level. There's nothing stupid about betting a bunch of money on Mayweather. McGregor will need a miracle to win.

Yes it is dumb betting huge amounts on Mayweather because you only win 18% of what you bet. That's terrible value and overall terrible money management. 

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yes it is dumb betting huge amounts on Mayweather because you only win 18% of what you bet. That's terrible value and overall terrible money management. 

Not when it's basically a lock. There is a reason none of the big money is going on McGregor even though you'll get a great return-no one actually thinks he is going to win so you'd be throwing money away. An 18% return on say 5% risk (which I think is probably closer to 1%) is a good return. It's equivalent to betting huge on the Pats over the Browns. Yea the return sucks but you're basically guaranteed the return where as betting on a different game the return is far better but you have a 45% chance of losing the bet (obviously depending on matchup, line, Etc just throwing out generic number). 

Archived