Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

3 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

I swear to god if Floyd takes a dive...

I was just talking with my buddy about this a few days ago and I'm seriously wondering if this may be the play. I wouldn't be super surprised and obviously if an upset does indeed happen it will be the main talking point for weeks. 

Does the undefeated record mean more to him than a tasty payday that may just allow him to retire for real this time and take it easy with a super extravagant lifestyle or warrant a rematch and then perhaps a trilogy all of which would give him such a huge payday. 

Anyways it's been about 12-15 years since I've watched a boxing match and it's been a while since I've bothered with the MMA but it's just too intriguing and am going to a pretty sweet fight party so even if it's a crappy fight and it seems likely it will be I'll have a good time and only pay $10-15 to the host rather than waste my money all on my own or with a few friends. 

I'm looking at odds because I heard a radio ad saying this was the biggest fight ever and I'm wondering if McGregor even has a remote chance. Some of these props are hilarious

Round 1 McGregor lands a punch(no is only 7/1)

Mayweather wins by doctor stoppage/quitting between rounds/throwing in towel(yes is only +460)

And my favorite. The Over/Under on most punches landed by McGregor in any round. 7.5

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Floyd takes a dive? Not in a million years. The odds are crazy. They are giving Conor a better shot than Maidana, Cotto, Judah or Ortiz. Heck, by fight night Floyd may be under -400.

What's more valuable to Floyd, 50-0 or another $100M he bet on McGregor and a rematch with another $150-$200M?

Very unlikely he would throw the fight but anyone betting their entire bankroll on Floyd trying to get a free payday is a moron. 

More valuable is his record and legacy. Right now he has the #TBE moniker primarily off his 49-0 record. And he has a big following that really and truly believes he is the best ever. Well, good luck selling that if you lose to a novice like McGregor. He will make over 200 million in this fight. Floyd shouldn't have to fight ever again after this pay day and the Pacquiao payday. 

14 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

Any high profile guys on the undercard? I barely know any boxers besides the superstars. 

Not any high profile guys, but Floyd has his fighter Gervonta Davis fighting and dude is a little killer. He's only 21 or 22 years old, but he goes for the kill every single time out. Here is a HL of his recent KO win for the title:

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Floyd takes a dive? Not in a million years. The odds are crazy. They are giving Conor a better shot than Maidana, Cotto, Judah or Ortiz. Heck, by fight night Floyd may be under -400.

Well because a lot more (mma) fans are willing to bet on Conor than (boxing) fans are for Cotton, Judah, etc.

So looking back on odds against Floyd's prior opponents, he was a 30 to 1 favorite over Berto LMAOOOO. 

Sanchez, no doubt the MMA fans are willing to bet more than boxing fans were for guys like Judah/Cotto/etc. But still, it is pretty crazy. I remember by fight night against Hatton, the odds ended up being almost event with the amount of bets the Brits were putting on Hatton. 

On 8/15/2017 at 5:19 AM, eagles101 said:

Am i the only one with literally zero interest in this fight? It amazes me how many people who would never in a million years pay a penny to watch a legitimate boxing match between two top tier BOXERS but will shell out 100 bucks for a gimmick fight.

What about the people like me?

I pay for the real boxing matches and attend them, I pay for real MMA fights and have attended them.

I'm just here for the entertainment of the trash talk during the fight, the antics, and hell even placing dumb bets during the fight with friends. I'd love to see something wild and crazy to happen like McGregor thinking he can fake a kick and get knocked out, or somehow it just turns into a brawl.

I'm going into this with low expectations of this being a great match, I just like to have fun with it. I mean, what's a hundred bucks between 5-10 people, beer, and food?

Good post gopherwrestler. I think it was Jeremy Schaap who said one of the reasons this fight is so popular is because the amount of people telling others not to watch it. Aside from the hardcore McGregor fans, how many are actually going in thinking it will be competitive? No need to take it so serious. 

Archived