Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

Brann disappeared into his abilities as 3ER and possibly did more than just scout using the ravens. Perhaps he had a magic showdown with NK that happens along the way and we’ll see it next episode. That would be cool to learn more about him but I won’t hold my breath. 

There has to be more to Bran's warging out, because it literally added nothing to the context, plot line, or pacing of the episode. Just seemed like an easy way to not have to write more dialogue for him.

• Like 2

I'm expecting at least some after-the-fact exposition from Bran. My main issue right now isn't so much the outcome, but the execution. It's somewhat expected given the timeline of the show; however, elements of the resolution feel very shallow (especially after 8 seasons of buildup). 

What is clear is that any elaborate theories people are clinging onto/hoping for should get thrown out the window. NK is gonezo. I'd be surprised if they did otherwise. 

37 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

On the subject of prophecy - GRRM is an anti-religion atheist.  Prophecy and religion will almost certainly be meaningless in the actual story.  It's all a big red herring, and it's been beautifully set up.  

He was a Catholic that became a skeptic. His exact words. Hes not anti and atheist so much as he is against how people use, twist, confuse and manipulate religions to work for them. Shireen burning and following Stannis as Chosen is a great point towards that. Rise and power of the Sparrows is another showcasing. Cersei thinking she had bribed her way in forming/allowing the Sparrows, and a few other instances like we see on the Iron Islands and in Bravvos.

1 minute ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

When did that happen? No they didn't. She says "not today" runs out and doesn't reappear until she's in the godswood. She was trapped by literally thousands of wights in the hall. I don't think its nitpicking to bring up that there's no way she makes it out of there regardless of her training and skill. It's lazy writing. 

Wait so your complaint is that they show her enter one door that they have to barricade from wights and leave another way and they dodnt show us how she got out then other way?  Obviously they didnt set this up in Winterfell, but in Kings landing we see her learning all sorts of new paths throughout the Red Keep, I'd say it's safe to assume that as a curious child she did the same thing in her home before leaving.

1 hour ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

How the heck did Arya get out of that room and past the Wights. She was literally having a massive mental breakdown and forgot all her faceless man skills literally two seconds before. So we're supposed to believe that her saying "not today" changed everything and she was able to fight through Winterfell, to the garden, AND Kill the NK? This is a fanstasy show and I still don't believe that.

Arya knows the castle and grounds better than anyone. Getting past the wights and guard whether in the castle or at the end is easy to believe.  Stealth is her specialty. 

But you're forgetting the massive blow to the head she took and prolly had a major concussion. Benioff and Weiss talks about this specifically in the After the Episode.  How would she fight and respond when she’s not 100%.  

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Wait so your complaint is that they show her enter one door that they have to barricade from wights and leave another way and they dodnt show us how she got out then other way?  Obviously they didnt set this up in Winterfell, but in Kings landing we see her learning all sorts of new paths throughout the Red Keep, I'd say it's safe to assume that as a curious child she did the same thing in her home before leaving.

Really? Because the build up to all of that was to show that there WAS no escape. This was it. The culmination and end of humanity. If that's not the case, and there's a secret she knows that no one else does, why would you take that off screen? It's lazy writing. 

8 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

I think the most interesting part is how he is able to communicate with them. No WW or the NK, beyond a stare, was able to communicate with humans. I think it would've added a cool dynamic if people are actively able to scheme with the NK. Imagine Little Finger cutting a deal with him. Just adds depth to his character beyond just destruction. 

True. I wonder if the White Walkers/Night King attacked and he just kind of "threw" his son at them as a shield/distraction and the WWs/NK simply took the child and left. Unspoken, but both sides understood what it meant.

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:

He was a Catholic that became a skeptic. His exact words. Hes not anti and atheist so much as he is against how people use, twist, confuse and manipulate religions to work for them. Shireen burning and following Stannis as Chosen is a great point towards that. Rise and power of the Sparrows is another showcasing. Cersei thinking she had bribed her way in forming/allowing the Sparrows, and a few other instances like we see on the Iron Islands and in Bravvos.

Correct (although my understanding is he is an atheist, but you could certainly be correct that hes agnostic)  which is the point I was making.  He isnt going to allow religion to be used to save the day in his story. There will be no deus ex machina.  That's why we see all the different religions all have success and failure throughout the story.  

3 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Really? Because the build up to all of that was to show that there WAS no escape. This was it. The culmination and end of humanity. If that's not the case, and there's a secret she knows that no one else does, why would you take that off screen? It's lazy writing. 

Agreed. Just showing her go in a trap door in the floor instead of walking off-screen would have solved a lot of this.

• Like 1

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Agreed. Just showing her go in a trap door in the floor instead of walking off-screen would have solved a lot of this.

It's not like we're asking for 15 minutes of extra footage and context. We're just asking them not be lazy in tying up loose ends. That is probably the most expensive episode of TV ever filmed, why not try and tighten up the loose ends? An extra minute of footage could've added so much depth and tied a lot more together.