Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Just now, pwny said:

Yes, we did. He was created by the Children of the Forest in an attempt to fight the humans. His entire purpose was to bring an endless night wherein human history ceased to any longer exist. And then they literally spelled it out for anyone who still was having trouble figuring it out last week. He wants to erase this world and I am its memory. If we forget where we’ve been and what we’ve done, we’re not men anymore, just animals.

Pretty cut and dry what his motives were. Not really sure where the confusion lies.

Why is he marching south now though? He could've done this at any time but chose to now because? He knew Bran held all of the memories of mankind but let him escape in season 6? Why? 

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

My theory is that the NK didn't actually want to kill Bran. Otherwise he could have done it a hundred different ways. Hopefully they explain things next episode.

He didn't want to kill Bran but risked his life and his entire army in order to be the one that delivers the killing blow? Bran said he's coming to Winterfell to kill him, to erase the memories of man, etc. Why didn't he kill Bran outside the wall then? It's poor writing. 

• Like 1

Just now, pwny said:

Yes, we did. He was created by the Children of the Forest in an attempt to fight the humans. His entire purpose was to bring an endless night wherein human history ceased to any longer exist. And then they literally spelled it out for anyone who still was having trouble figuring it out last week. He wants to erase this world and I am its memory. If we forget where we’ve been and what we’ve done, we’re not men anymore, just animals.

Pretty cut and dry what his motives were. Not really sure where the confusion lies.

If this is fact, then he is the main threat and primary antagonist of the entire story. The power struggle for the throne is ancillary to the fear of being forgotten (ie., death), and why everyone wants the throne in the first place. They reference this SEVERAL times throughout the character arc.

The problem with Aryas arc in the finale is that, yes, they've built her skillset as a warrior and assassin, but literally two seconds before she runs off, she's crying and in the face of death, and they clearly show ALL of winterfell, from crypts to courtyard, completely overrun with Wights. How hard is it to give 25 seconds of footage showing how she escapes. Also, a few pages back the image of the godswood shows how unrealistic her final lunge/jump at the NK was. Not to mention this dude hucks speaks 50000MPH but he ain't gonna crush her throat?

I also disagree time and time again with people saying that the NK isn't a skilled warrior/tactician. He had his troops drag a dragon out a lake to reanimate and use to advance his army, orders his wights to die in the fire in the trench so they can get through, using the storm to confuse/negate Jon/Dany on dragons, there's plenty to suggest he's a skilled warrior and not just trying to overwhelm his opponents. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He didn't want to kill Bran but risked his life and his entire army in order to be the one that delivers the killing blow? Bran said he's coming to Winterfell to kill him, to erase the memories of man, etc. Why didn't he kill Bran outside the wall then? It's poor writing. 

EXACTLY! No one''s seen him for a thousand years. including plent of winters. Why now?

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why is he marching south now though? He could've done this at any time but chose to now because?

Did you forget the wall existed or?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think that is explained by Benjen helping them escape.  The wights don't move fast, and he had a horse.  There are a lot of mistakes, but that's a pretty minor and easily explainable one IMO.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why is he marching south now though? He could've done this at any time but chose to now because? He knew Bran held all of the memories of mankind but let him escape in season 6? Why? 

2 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

EXACTLY! No one''s seen him for a thousand years. including plent of winters. Why now?

Because this was the first time that there was not a Stark in Winterfell.  Ned talks about how there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.  Then Theon ****s that all up.  

My guess was some kind of agreement between the Starks and Others.  Starks technically violated, so South he came.  

Edited by Ragnarok

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Because this was the first time that there was not a Stark in Winterfell.  Ned talks about how there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.  Then Theon ****s that all up.  

Maybe, but the WW started moving before that.  I don't think we're going to get an explanation of that from the show and we'll have to wait on the books.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

How do we know all he wanted was to kill Bran? Maybe he was trying to gain the 3ER's power, or extract his memories, or turn him into a WW. 

I think it would be pretty easy to explain why the NK either wanted Bran alive up to that point, or why he needed to be confront him in person.

Just now, Daniel said:

Maybe, but the WW started moving before that.  I don't think we're going to get an explanation of that from the show and we'll have to wait on the books.

The show has departed so far from the books (even before the books ended) that I wouldn't count on any explanations from the book.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, but they went from moving in the shadows(I mean, the Castor thing had been happening for a long time), to actually marching.  

It's the best theory I got.  

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

The show has departed so far from the books (even before the books ended) that I wouldn't count on any explanations from the book.

I mean an explanation from the books as to why the WW have suddenly reappeared.  I have a feeling it has to do with the prince that was promised, somehow, but I don't know.  They seem to be preoccupied with finding Jon specifically in the books.

50 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

No. Its more like wrestling fans being a fan during the Attitude Era. Then the business wants to flip it to being PG and pushing a superhero while thinking the fanbase they had build would be happy with the changes.

Okay. I stopped watching wrestling in middle school so I guess?

Just now, Daniel said:

I mean an explanation from the books as to why the WW have suddenly reappeared.  I have a feeling it has to do with the prince that was promised, somehow, but I don't know.  They seem to be preoccupied with finding Jon specifically in the books.

I don't think they suddenly appeared. The Night's Watch had been reporting increased activity, and the wildlings have stories of the NK building an army for years. From everything we were told he was building an army for a long time. The NK didn't start moving south until the Night's Watch went and started looking for him. 

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

• After he kills the 3ER he just lets Bran run. Hodor holds the door and the girl drags Bran through the snow to escape the NK and the whites. 

So you're telling me that the NK had Bran outside of the wall, being defended/dragged by a teenage girl in a blizzard, and was capable of tracking his every movement, why not kill him then? If killing Bran was so important to him that he risked his life and stepped in front of his entire army to deliver the killing blow why didn't he just kill him earlier? He could've easily tracked Bran down in the wilderness and killed him then and there during season 6. How is it that he wasn't concerned with killing Bran at all that day but 2 seasons later takes an extreme risk to kill him. 

This also isn't even true. They were literally tracking Bran the entire time he escaped. Meera got tired, stopped and then Bran told her they were literally right behind them. Benjin appears when they're about to die, and then takes Bran south of the wall. At that point, he's safe until the Night King was able to secure a dragon to melt the wall.

• Like 1