Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

Night King has Drogon sitting right there not moving with Dany and everybody else sitting on it waiting on Jon to kill a few more zombies for no good reason, but decides to throw his spear at the flying dragon instead.

Only possible explanation on that one is that maybe he considered Viserion a bigger threat since he was flying around burning his army to a crisp while Drogon was just sitting there waiting for everyone to get on...but idk...I don't see why he'd really care if he lost some of his army considering he can always just raise more dead.

Just now, drd23 said:

While there were a number of epic things to happen in this episode (the conversations among the Snowceans 7, the battle etc), overall I'm pretty meh on the episode because there there just too many things I thought were stupid or poorly done:

- I hated the Arya/Sansa scenes in this episode,
- like many others thought it was a little ridiculous that the raven made it to Dragonstone so quickly,
- it was stupid that Jon didn't get on Drogon,
- stupid that the NK can throw a javelin/spear like its a damn rocket,
- stupid that he aimed at Viserion instead of Drogon,  
- where the hell did the WWs get those massive chains from and how on earth would they have been able to tie that chain around the neck of a dragon at the bottom of a lake

On that last part. There was a half sunken ship next to them. Anchor chains.

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:

They could of hopped a turtle and been faster than the dead. Or at least thats what their slow trek south has shown over the seasons.

Forgetting the bit where the wights outran Jon etc around the edge of the lake while the 7 could only make it to the island in the middle?  

It seems that when they are in a frenzy they can move quite fast.  Their slow trek south is understandable if they can't get past the wall due to the magical runes that it was infused with when it was built to keep them away because there would be no point in rushing to just stand around in the forest just north of the wall

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

While there were a number of epic things to happen in this episode (the conversations among the Snowceans 7, the battle etc), overall I'm pretty meh on the episode because there there just too many things I thought were stupid or poorly done:

- like many others thought it was a little ridiculous that the raven made it to Dragonstone so quickly,
- where the hell did the WWs get those massive chains from and how on earth would they have been able to tie that chain around the neck of a dragon at the bottom of a lake

The "Where the hell did they get the chains" question was the first thing that came into my mind the first time I saw that scene too...not too concerned with how they got them tied to him because I'm pretty sure the wights can go into the lake and not be effected at all but I have no idea where the gigantic chains came from.

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

All of these things. All bad in this episode. Winterfell has been awful so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Forgetting the bit where the wights outran Jon etc around the edge of the lake while the 7 could only make it to the island in the middle?  

It seems that when they are in a frenzy they can move quite fast.  Their slow trek south is understandable if they can't get past the wall due to the magical runes that it was infused with when it was built to keep them away because there would be no point in rushing to just stand around in the forest just north of the wall

But still, I'm taking a horse with two dudes on it over the wights.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

On that last part. There was a half sunken ship next to them. Anchor chains.

There was?  I didn't see it if true.  

That doesn't explain how they'd be able to tie it around Viserion's neck though

Pulled this from Reddit 

Since there has been a lot of contention about the speed with which the Raven and Dany fly back and forth to get to our heroes, I thought it would be fun to do some math and see if it's in any way possible. So how long would Jon and company be sitting on that rock waiting to be rescued while the ice thickens enough to support an army of undead? Here are the things we need to figure out to do so:

How long would it take Gendry to get to the wall from where they were attacked?

-I don't think they traveled very far past the wall since it is stated that they Night King was already near Eastwatch to begin with. Not to mention that the journey for our heroes seems to take place within the course of less than a day. No campfire, no nighttime. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the run back to the wall could have been done within 6 hours.

How fast and how far can a Raven fly?

-This is a little trickier since these Ravens live in a fantasy world but I think the best way to think of them is like real life carrier pigeons, which can travel up to 1100 miles at an average speed of 50MPH according to this:http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ravens and this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeon.

How far is it from Eastwatch to Dragonstone?

-There never seems to be a map that's perfectly accurate depending on what you read so I went with this one: http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/map_canon_only.jpg. Which means that they are 1900 miles apart. Let's call it 2000 since I'm sure Raven's don't travel in a perfectly straight line.

So this means that a Raven could travel from Eastwatch to Dragonstone in 40 hours without sleeping or eating/drinking. Give it 8 hours worth of rest along the way and that puts it at an even 2 days journey.

Now, How long will it take Daenerys to do the same journey? No idea really. I can't find any solid info on how fast or how long Dragon's can fly. So I'm going to assume they can fly at least as long as Ravens and say it will take another 2 days for her to reach our heroes near Eastwatch.

Overall this means a 4 day and 6 hour period for Dany to come to the rescue. So could our heroes possible last that long on their little island? Well we don't really have anyway of marking the passage of time here, except that we know the Wights had to wait until the ice around them froze hard enough for them to walk on. SOOOO.....

How long does it take for water to freeze until it's thick enough to walk on?

-Well according to this http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_Fast_Does_Your_Lake_Make_Ice , if we assume that north of the wall has an average temperature of -20 F (which is anyone's guess really but we'll assume the coldest point on the chart), this would mean in 4 days the ice could have gotten up to 12 inches thick in average conditions. According to the article, this means no snow and no clouds (both of which can reduce the ice forming process by half. Since there was both snow and clouds at the time, this could mean that anywhere from 6-12 inches of ice would have formed in 4 days time.

Now is that enough to support the weight of a human being or wight?

• According to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html it would take 4" of ice to be safe to go Ice fishing, 5-7" for snowmobiling, and 8-15" for various automobiles. Since we are talking about an army of undead crossing the ice and engaging in open combat I would be willing to assume we would need at least the 5-7" of ice required for snowmobiling, if not more like the 8-15" required by automobiles. All those bodies and jerky motions create alot of stress on the ice. 

IN CONCLUSION:

It seems to me that the just over 4 day travel time required for Dany to to receive the Raven and fly to Eastwatch, seems to line up accurately with the amount of time it would take ice to grow enough to support an army of undead to fight on top of it in those conditions

TL;DR - There’s no continuity issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I agree, but I feel like it's just because they filmed it poorly.  I think Jon stayed back because he felt like he needed to kill the oncoming wights so everyone else could get away, but they were coming one at a time, nothing Drogon couldn't handle.  

Oh, and another thing I thought was stupid was Jon now deciding to bend the knee - he's been arguing that he can't because the northern lords don't want another southern ruler, but now that Dany came to save him none of that matters now o.O