Week 1 GDT - Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Yes, Sherman stays on the left side, but my point was who see's more of Diggs and inversely more of Theilen? 

thielen is going to be used in the slot a lot more this season (51% last season, 71% this season) so sherman is definitely going to see more of diggs than thielen. i *think* diggs lines up more often on the right side but they both have the ability to play anywhere.

a big difference this season is that treadwell is our #3 receiver and he's much better (relatively speaking) outside than in the slot, which pushes thielen inside. last season jarius wright ended up being our #3 WR and he's better in the slot, which kept thielen outside more often. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

That's sad. We honestly can't do better than that? I tried to watch him during preseason. Could barely find him.

To be fair, that's because the Colts stayed in nickel for damn near the entire time so he only saw like 7 or 8 snaps that game and didn't play in the finale. 

56 minutes ago, Geek said:

Is Malcolm Smith ever going to take meaningful snaps for us? This is getting pretty ridiculous. 

In fairness, we could be better off if he didn't based on his raider days lol.

The contract was always horrific, the injuries and lack of play just make the contract funny now

10 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

They said he was good to go yesterday. I wonder what changed..

I think his hammy has been bothering him for a bit now. Probably hasn't fully recovered from it yet but good chance he doesn't see the field this season if Warner proves his worth and with Foster returning in two weeks. 

2 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Pita could work. I know Watson is only a backup, but I do wonder if this will lead to a possible trade for Dante Fowler or Shane Ray.

Watson actually was on the nickel pass rush......Which is kind of sad and embarrassing. But that's how bad we are at the edge. 

I'm not as optimistic as some of you here.  I think our running game is going to be somewhere between awful and below average for pretty much the entire season.  And, it has nothing to do with the recent injury.   Our defense has some glaring holes as well.

That said, Jimmy GQ will make up for some of our deficiencies and I think a lot of people are sleeping on our receiving corps.

We're still rebuilding.  And, we're going to look a lot better this year than the first 10 or so games last year.  But, a good team like the Vikings are probably going to have their way with us.

The season hasn't started yet and maybe I'm just overly cautious.  So, I could be way off.  If I am, I will happily eat that humble pie. 

Prediction: 30-17 Vikings. 

Archived