Week 1 GDT - Minnesota Vikings vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

A lot of mistakes killed any chance in this game. I'm very confident that this is an 11-5 team once we stop beating ourselves, though. It's not going to get much tougher than one of the top teams and top defenses in the league on the road, and we did a good job of digging a hole we couldn't get out of. 

Vikings just played better overall. 

Couldn't have said it better. The offense was very sloppy, very inconsistent. I thought the O-Line held up surprisingly well. Jimmy can't throw 3 ints. He has to better than that and he will be. We can't cough up the ball@the goal line. Receivers can't drop TD passes. The offense as a whole just has to clean up its miscues and this team will be rolling...

38 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Btw, both Sherman and Witherspoon by my account were targeted three times and allowed one reception each. Not bad. 

The only thing that drives me nuts a little bit is that on that one reception by spoon, the touchdown, he was right there. The coverage was fine. Beautiful throw by cousins, so credit where credit is due there, but I think spoon makes a play on that ball if he just turns around. Maybe he was worried about losing a step or something though, I don't know.

Mixed emotions. 8 point loss on the road to a vaorite to make it to the SB. Not bad. But no such thing as a moral victory. It's hard though not to think about all the  mistakes and missed opportunities.

We got one the fastest RBs in the game to add to one of the fastest WRs in the game to allow Shanny to get explosion plays and to set up smaller plays. We've lost one for the year and other one I guess we'll have to wait and see. Goodwin's injury could turn out to be the most disappointing part of this game.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

True, but he also looks like he has a small frame. He's under 200 pounds, so that's not surprising. What does he bring to the table though really? 

Definitely has a bit of a small frame, but I don't think he'll ever be asked to carry a workload of a 1A back. He's definitely explosive and fast, just needs to learn how to run. Patience and vision are so huge as a running back, that's how guys like Morris and Gore succeed. Breida just fires out at top speed and is basically pinballing it. The problem with that is that he'll run into his own blockers, defenders, and at that kind of speed, his balance is not going to be ideal, so I think that he will go down a time or two when he probably doesn't need to. That being said, that speed and explosiveness are important, especially trying to get to the outside. Plays like those outside pitches that Shanny loves are going to be his wheelhouse. He's also not bad at catching the football. He's not great at it, but Georgia Southern doesn't do that a lot in their offensive scheme, so that's kind of new for him.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Breida is short, and slow. Nothing about his game looks dynamic at all. 

I thought maybe I was the only one here who didn't see a whole lot in him. I mean, some potential sure. But I never thought he showed as much as a bunch of others here did. An OK back to spell your starter(s), but I'm not sure I ever saw him as a 1B to someone else's 1A.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Mixed emotions. 8 point loss on the road to a vaorite to make it to the SB. Not bad. But no such thing as a moral victory. It's hard though not to think about all the  mistakes and missed opportunities.

We got one the fastest RBs in the game to add to one of the fastest WRs in the game to allow Shanny to get explosion plays and to set up smaller plays. We've lost one of the year and other one I guess we'll have to wait and see. Goodwin's injury could turn out to be the most disappointing part of this game.

There were a lot of positives out of this game for all the dramatic hysteria we spout out during the actual game (myself included).

One, Warner is legit. The run defense is stout and overall, the defense did it's job. If your defense is giving up only 17 points, you should win the football game more often than not to be perfectly honest. This loss wasn't on them, and I'm very happy about that.

Kittle looks poised for a potential break out. Yes, that drop was ugly. But Minnesota is one of the toughest teams in football against the tight end, and he had a very nice game overall. We had one of the worst games I think we will have all year when it comes to just bad miscues on offense (fumble, 3 picks, etc), and we only lost by 8 to one of the best teams in football. I also doubt that Jimmy G puts up too many statlines like the one he just gave us. I thought the running game was actually pretty effective, all things considered. Breida and Morris may not be game changers, but I think they are easily good enough from keeping us from having to be one dimensional.

We kept the penalties down, even though the Thomas one was pretty egregious overall.

I mean, I can't say that I think less of the team now than I did before the game, and I actually chalk that up as a win. I projected a 27-16 loss, we lost 24-16, so I think it's hard to disappointed or let down when it plays out fairly similar to how you thought it would.

That being said, certainly some issues that we need to address moving forward. We absolutely have to figure out that red zone problem. That's going to kill us this year if we don't get that fixed. Anyone thinking playoffs can just throw that out if we don't get that fixed.

Lots of positives. Too many mistakes. Nothing too surprising today. Hopefully we get at least one  of our G's back, and hopefully Goodwin's injury isn't serious. Bottom line for me is exactly the questions I had all off-season and all pre-season - o-line, and edge rushing

8 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I thought maybe I was the only one here who didn't see a whole lot in him. I mean, some potential sure. But I never thought he showed as much as a bunch of others here did. An OK back to spell your starter(s), but I'm not sure I ever saw him as a 1B to someone else's 1A.

I think it depends on what you're expecting to see. If people hype him up like he is great, then yeah, you're probably going to leave disappointed when watching him. He just does his thing. The thing is that he should probably be better than he eventually, and that will depend on him learning how to be an actual running back. His first year actually looked eerily similar to Derrick Henry's first year production wise,  and Henry had the far superior offensive line. Now, they are not even remotely comparable in play styles, but if you're talking about the overall effectiveness, then that's sufficient. Nobody is claiming that Derrick Henry isn't even a 1b. So I think it just depends on your expectations of Breida, but when you consider what he actually does and the end result, its certainly not bad at all. I just want more from him.

Archived