Week 1: Arizona Cardinals GDT

Ghostnote

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:10 AM, aceinthehouse said:

I foresee a Redskins explosion! I had us going 12-4 with Guice & 8-8 when he got hurt.

I will bump their record to 10-6, with the addition of Peterson.

Cousins can't win openers, but I believe Gruden can & will. He has his QB, finally!

Peterson & D.J. know this team well & it will pay off.

Oh....and Bradford sucks....

Redskins crush Arizona 37-9 in a slaughter.

AP for 150 yards rushing 2 TD's

Alex 289 yards 2 TD's

Hopkins 3/4 FG's (misses a 56 yarder)

7 sacks as a team!  Or more....

IF Rosen starts this game
We lose!
We can't beat rookie QB's for some reason

Well, I predicted an 18 pt win & got it. Unfortunately, I was off on the score.

Great win & a huge win that will pay dividends later in the year when or if tie breakers come in to play for playoff seedings.

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

We go on the road, completely dominate a team that many/most of you thought would beat us, we at one point had something like 30 first downs to 5, we ran for almost 200 yards and humiliate them in terms of ToP, and most importantly we made them run up the white flag with double digits left on the clock — and the last 6-8 pages of this GDT are, for the most part, the pit of misery. 

You guys are wild ? you don’t get many games like this in the NFL, especially in a season opener on the road, enjoy it!

At the very least, don’t sweat the 4th quarter. It was the equivalent of a preseason game (or the points on Whose Line Is It Anyway). They were just trying to get out of there as painlessly as possible with the W they had already earned and Arizona had essentially already conceded.  

1. They did not run up the white flag. In fact, once Peterson fumbled, it injected a bit of life into the Cardinals. Had Bradford not first thrown into the middle of the field (wasting precious seconds) and then later get strip-sacked by Ioannidis, this would have been yet another down-to-the-wire, nail biter we have come to know and dread in Washington.
  2. Even if I accept your premise, I still find it distasteful for two reasons:
    1. Washington had a chance to break one of the longest streaks in the NFL (the lack of shut outs). As I said earlier in the GDT, nearly two thirds of the opening day roster were not even alive the last time the Redskins shut out an opponent. The oldest man on the roster (Alex Smith) was (probably) in second grade when that occurred.
    2. Would Bill Belichick have taken his foot off the pedal like that? Yes, I know that's a rhetorical question because we've seen the answer: an emphatic no. If the Redskins are to get back to competing for championships on a year-in, year-out basis, they need to develop a "curb stomp your opponents" mentality (figuratively speaking).

I am happy about the win, but I can foresee (and have seen) games where taking that lackadaisical approach will come back to the haunt them. Had the Redskins been facing a more competent QB, it could have happened (again!) yesterday.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Unfortunately, it seems so.

To paraphrase Highlander (apparently): "There must always be One!"

In defense of my man Ryan Gruden, he had 8 receptions yesterday for the Colts (as many as the Redskins WR corps combined) and is their #2 WR behind TY.

Rob Gruden had 3 carries for 7 yards for a whopping 2.3 ypc!

One guy continues to prove he deserves to be in the league - even if he’s not flashy, isn’t speedy as he gets open and does all the little things well, like blocking - and the other guy seems to regress every year for some reason.

4 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. They did not run up the white flag. In fact, once Peterson fumbled, it injected a bit of life into the Cardinals. Had Bradford not first thrown into the middle of the field (wasting precious seconds) and then later get strip-sacked by Ioannidis, this would have been yet another down-to-the-wire, nail biter we have come to know and dread in Washington.
  2. Even if I accept your premise, I still find it distasteful for two reasons:
    1. Washington had a chance to break one of the longest streaks in the NFL (the lack of shut outs). As I said earlier in the GDT, nearly two thirds of the opening day roster were not even alive the last time the Redskins shut out an opponent. The oldest man on the roster (Alex Smith) was (probably) in second grade when that occurred.
    2. Would Bill Belichick have taken his foot off the pedal like that? Yes, I know that's a rhetorical question because we've seen the answer: an emphatic no. If the Redskins are to get back to competing for championships on a year-in, year-out basis, they need to develop a "curb stomp your opponents" mentality (figuratively speaking).

I am happy about the win, but I can foresee (and have seen) games where taking that lackadaisical approach will come back to the haunt them. Had the Redskins been facing a more competent QB, it could have happened (again!) yesterday.

But.... it didn’t go that way. We won, the game was never close and most in the forum were constantly complaining even though the score was never close and the Cards really only had 1 good drive all game.

And, I’ll also point out that perhaps the Redskins defense was the reason that Sam Bradford struggled yesterday and we need to give them more props than we are. Sam Bradford played poorly, and from what I can tell the Redskins secondary played well, especially our 2 young corners - Dunny & Moreau - JNo looked like his old self and our safeties played well also.

Last year in week 1, Bradford threw for 346 yards and 3 TDs for the Vikings. Yesterday, he only threw for 153 yards with 1 int.

So... perhaps it wasn’t so much that Bradford isn’t competent but it’s that the Redskins defense is better than most are giving them credit for.

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

This is what has always scared me with Alex. Threw two passes over 10 yards. Fine is we're ahead... but if not...

Sadly, we don’t have Tyreke Hill, Mahomes has one of - if not the best arm in the league but isn’t that accurate - and Alex and his outside WRs are still getting on the same page. I expect that Alex and Doctson/PRich will get on the same page downfield as they play together more; especially PRich and Alex.

Lastly, Gruden called a lot of plays that were designed to go to Chris Thompson or Jordan Reed right away. They were actually the #1 targets on the play and I’d have to guess that Tyreke Hill was the #1 option for Mahomes on most plays.

23 hours ago, mar29020 said:

i thought we would have more sacks and pressure. good win though. shocked to see ryan anderson in on a sack!

Hard to get sacks when the opposing offense goes quick game almost every snap because they don’t trust their OL. Bradford didn’t hold onto the ball very long at all, certainly not long enough on most plays for the OLBs to get there.

Archived