Green Bay Pre-Game Hype

dll2000

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I wouldn't consider a Bears victory an upset. The Bears are more talented on paper especially on defense. A great defense can neutralize a great QB. Rodgers always struggled against Fangios scheme in SF when he had the  defensive talent. He now has the talent in Chicago to give Rodgers fits again.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we got swept this year. I  look at this as being a semi rebuilding year for us. This team has a lot of question marks. A lot of youth and roster turnover, new coaches, new schemes, OL depth and health, Edge talent and depth etc.

This offense is totally dependent on the health and performance of the OL no matter how many weapons they have. And if the preseason OL performance is an indication of how they will play in the regular season this team is in trouble.

Chicago has tanked for a few years and has now amassed a great deal of talent drafting in the top 10 every year and good FA moves. That's how you closed the talent gap. The Packers on the other hand were always picking in the bottom 30's. Our old GM had a lot of draft misses and he shunned free agency resulting in mediocre rosters that overachieved every year because of Rodgers.

Great post. Your thoughts on the two rosters are mine almost exactly (but, besides our agreement, the Bears are 7 point dogs, therefore, a win would be an upset by rule).

Still, it's very difficult to win on the road yet alone in a divisional primetime game. I expect a 6 point GB win.

55 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I wouldn't consider a Bears victory an upset. The Bears are more talented on paper especially on defense. A great defense can neutralize a great QB. Rodgers always struggled against Fangios scheme in SF when he had the  defensive talent. He now has the talent in Chicago to give Rodgers fits again.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we got swept this year. I  look at this as being a semi rebuilding year for us. This team has a lot of question marks. A lot of youth and roster turnover, new coaches, new schemes, OL depth and health, Edge talent and depth etc.

This offense is totally dependent on the health and performance of the OL no matter how many weapons they have. And if the preseason OL performance is an indication of how they will play in the regular season this team is in trouble.

Chicago has tanked for a few years and has now amassed a great deal of talent drafting in the top 10 every year and good FA moves. That's how you closed the talent gap. The Packers on the other hand were always picking in the bottom 30's. Our old GM had a lot of draft misses and he shunned free agency resulting in mediocre rosters that overachieved every year because of Rodgers.

While I agree about Rosters, it's still an upset bc its Aaron freakin Rodgers.  He is the great equalizer on offense.  While I hope the Bears pull it off, I'm actually expecting a close loss and something to build off of going forward.  

On 9/5/2018 at 2:54 PM, dll2000 said:

Kizer is not the next great QB in line.  

I dunno, dude...

I really have to say the verdict is still out on that one. The kid has all the physical tools, he should have sat all of last year, and he played for the freakin' Browns, for pete's sake. Dismissing him at this point is kind of like the Packers fans who have been spouting off as of late, saying Trubisky will be a failure based upon last season...

On 9/5/2018 at 7:14 PM, dafreak said:

We should all be thankful that their front office stinks and that McCarthy has coached them as long as he has.

Ted Thompson is gone now, though. And his replacement clearly knows what the hell he's doing. 

On 9/5/2018 at 9:18 PM, Spartacus said:

How so? Just having Rodgers gives them a shot. He has made it to the championship game multiple times with crap for defenses and has almost won on a number of occasions. Saying that the Packers won't be sniffing a championship is just stupid... 

As I said in the Khalil Mack (NFL News) thread, as long as Rodgers is playing at a prime, or near-prime level, all he needs is a decent team around him to be a serious threat to win the Super Bowl. And he has, right now, probably the best team around him he's had in a few years. 

On 9/6/2018 at 9:37 PM, Sugashane said:

I'm the opposite, I think Bill has been given a massive crutch in Brady. Bill has been lucky to get him and an OC that is a top tier mind while being an unlikable a**hat that can't commit to a franchise elsewhere. He can keep working the defense while Brady makes everything else easy for him come gametime. He can tell his defense "We have to keep them under 27 points" and still win the damn game.

Do you remember what happened to NE's offense when McDaniels was gone? Probably not, and I don't either. It was still good enough to win championships. Dude, Belichick's fingerprints are all over both sides of the ball in New England. And he's an unbelievable GM. He's the GOAT coach, beyond a doubt.

Oh...this is the Green Bay hype thread, isn't it? 9_9 The hype is real, I'm totally stoked, expecting an upset. 

GO BEARS!!!

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I dunno, dude...

I really have to say the verdict is still out on that one. The kid has all the physical tools, he should have sat all of last year, and he played for the freakin' Browns, for pete's sake. Dismissing him at this point is kind of like the Packers fans who have been spouting off as of late, saying Trubisky will be a failure based upon last season...

Ted Thompson is gone now, though. And his replacement clearly knows what the hell he's doing. 

As I said in the Khalil Mack (NFL News) thread, as long as Rodgers is playing at a prime, or near-prime level, all he needs is a decent team around him to be a serious threat to win the Super Bowl. And he has, right now, probably the best team around him he's had in a few years. 

Do you remember what happened to NE's offense when McDaniels was gone? Probably not, and I don't either. It was still good enough to win championships. Dude, Belichick's fingerprints are all over both sides of the ball in New England. And he's an unbelievable GM. He's the GOAT coach, beyond a doubt.

Oh...this is the Green Bay hype thread, isn't it? 9_9 The hype is real, I'm totally stoked, expecting an upset. 

GO BEARS!!!

How is this clear? He's been the GM for like 8 months.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

How is this clear? He's been the GM for like 8 months.

Had a great draft. Made some good free agent moves--Thompson never would signed Graham, for example. He's getting rid of a bunch of Thompson guys. I'm not saying he's the next Finks, or Polian, or something, that clearly remains to be seen, but he certainly seems to know what he's doing. 

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Had a great draft. Made some good free agent moves--Thompson never would signed Graham, for example. He's getting rid of a bunch of Thompson guys. I'm not saying he's the next Finks, or Polian, or something, that clearly remains to be seen, but he certainly seems to know what he's doing. 

I don't think any team had a great 2018 draft. I think we'll know that by 2019 or 2020.

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think any team had a great 2018 draft. I think we'll know that by 2019 or 2020.

If you'd prefer to view it that way, that's cool. It's all opinion, anyhow. Gutekunst still seems like an upgrade for them, to me. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I dunno, dude...

GO BEARS!!!

Not that I'm a McD fan or anything, but no it wasnt good enough to win championships bc they didn't win a single championship the entire time he was in Denver.  

47 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

If you'd prefer to view it that way, that's cool. It's all opinion, anyhow. Gutekunst still seems like an upgrade for them, to me. 

Yes Gutekunst is more like Pace and Spielman young and aggressive. To be honest I was never a big Thompson fan. He was old, stubborn, and set in his ways when it came to roster building. He was overly conservative in FA. Packer fans had to sit around every March and watch every other team pickup prized FA who could improve their team immediately while we had to depend on late round draft picks and undrafted FA.

His philosophy was draft and develop and maybe grab one or two FA off the scrapheap  after week 4 of free agency. Ted got a pass all these years because he drafted Rodgers. He was overly loyal to players he drafted even if they were average. Instead of cutting or trading for  better players  he would just keep mediocrity on the roster and even extending some of them. 

Sorry for the long rant but you guys don't understand  that Ted Thompson is a demigod on the Packer board for a lot guys. Criticizing him on the Packer board is  equivalent to disrespecting  Allah in Mecca. I feel free doing it on another board. I wouldn't dare post this on our forum.

If you ask me Thompson should've been gone 3 years ago.

51 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Yes Gutekunst is more like Pace and Spielman young and aggressive. To be honest I was never a big Thompson fan. He was old, stubborn, and set in his ways when it came to roster building. He was overly conservative in FA. Packer fans had to sit around every March and watch every other team pickup prized FA who could improve their team immediately while we had to depend on late round draft picks and undrafted FA.

His philosophy was draft and develop and maybe grab one or two FA off the scrapheap  after week 4 of free agency. Ted got a pass all these years because he drafted Rodgers. He was overly loyal to players he drafted even if they were average. Instead of cutting or trading for  better players  he would just keep mediocrity on the roster and even extending some of them. 

Sorry for the long rant but you guys don't understand  that Ted Thompson is a demigod on the Packer board for a lot guys. Criticizing him on the Packer board is  equivalent to disrespecting  Allah in Mecca. I feel free doing it on another board. I wouldn't dare post this on our forum.

Nailed it.

And yeah...I've unfortunately experienced the Thompson worship over there first hand. Saw a Gutekunst thread come up, maybe on the Popular Threads list or something, and chimed in as to how the Pack was better off with him over Thompson. Big mistake on my part (although in my defense I honestly didn't know any better at the time). Someone even defended Thompson not cutting Matthews because the cap hit would be too big. Just...wow. 

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

It's funny you say that. I think getting FAs in general is a bad idea expect with you guys as you have a GOAT QB. I was shocked when TT didn't grab FAs for Rodgers.

6 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

It's funny you say that. I think getting FAs in general is a bad idea expect with you guys as you have a GOAT QB. I was shocked when TT didn't grab FAs for Rodgers.

He didn't do it until he was on the hot seat. He went out and got bigger names like Peppers, Cook, Bennett, Kendricks towards the end. Sadly those are bigger names by Packer standards. I believe he only did it out of pressure from McCarthy, Murphy, Rodgers and others in the organization that were calling for urgency. Normally he would just bring in lower tier budget none difference making FA.  Guy's who were cut that wouldn't effect him losing a prized late round draft pick the following season.

5 hours ago, St Vince said:

He didn't do it until he was on the hot seat. He went out and got bigger names like Peppers, Cook, Bennett, Kendricks towards the end. Sadly those are bigger names by Packer standards. I believe he only did it out of pressure from McCarthy, Murphy, Rodgers and others in the organization that were calling for urgency. Normally he would just bring in lower tier budget none difference making FA.  Guy's who were cut that wouldn't effect him losing a prized late round draft pick the following season.

And two of those signings weren't even very good...

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

And two of those signings weren't even very good...

You could probably make an argument that none of those four were “very good,” but to be fair, most UFA signings never live up to the expectations. That’s why unless Khalil Mack comes along, I prefer to build through the draft.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

You could probably make an argument that none of those four were “very good,” but to be fair, most UFA signings never live up to the expectations. That’s why unless Khalil Mack comes along, I prefer to build through the draft.

"Very good" or "okay", or whatever.

@St Vince was still right. Thompson should have been shown the door years ago. To have as little post-season success with a QB as good as Rodgers is inexcusable. 

And building through the draft is a fine strategy, but Thompson ended up failing at that, in the end. 

Archived