Green Bay Pre-Game Hype

dll2000

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I'll never understand how people don't think more reps for players is a good and valuable thing. There's a reason teams, especially offenses, get better and more efficient as the season progresses. 

Because they're more focused and truly game planning their actual offense as the year goes on as opposed to installing never-to-be-run-again plays for a scrimmage?

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

LOL

You know my thoughts on the preseason by now, but if you think reps are important and the lack of them are going to hurt the Bears here, why are you going to watch? You started this thread with 5 posts in like 3 hours and now you seem sad about reps. Green Bay and the Bears' starters played next to no snaps the entire preseason. In your opinion, it'll be a 13-10 final with a ton of penalties.

Hopefully Shaheen's final catch against Denver has him very well prepared for when he returns in week 6 or 7. That was one important rep there. That catch will be the difference between average and good when it comes to his performance this year.

And when the Bears lose, I don't want to hear "GB was in a different situation! They have more veterans and they need less time to gel!" Stop. Green Bay's roster is as young as the Bears (25.7 years old).

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Because they're more focused and truly game planning their actual offense as the year goes on as opposed to installing never-to-be-run-again plays for a scrimmage?

There is a lot more to it than that. Getting in and out of the huddle, calling and hearing long/elaborate play calls, cadence of the QB at the LOS, timing your drops with routes, etc etc etc. Football is like anything in life: the more experience (reps) you get with something the better you will do. 

Just now, G08 said:

There is a lot more to it than that. Getting in and out of the huddle, calling and hearing long/elaborate play calls, cadence of the QB at the LOS, timing your drops with routes, etc etc etc. Football is like anything in life: the more experience (reps) you get with something the better you will do. 

All of which you can do in practice when you're running your actual plays.

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't agree, at all.

Then explain how the Bears ran no misdirection and wildcat in the preseason last year but had success with it vs ATL and PIT last year in September.

Still not convinced? Bet the under on Sunday and be prepared to collect your earnings because these two teams are going to be AWFUL in your opinion.

43 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Then explain how the Bears ran no misdirection and wildcat in the preseason last year but had success with it vs ATL and PIT last year in September.

Still not convinced? Bet the under on Sunday and be prepared to collect your earnings because these two teams are going to be AWFUL in your opinion.

Why do teams, and especially offenses, get better as the season progresses? Do you think it's because they get less reps/experience together? Is this what you are trying to tell me?

I'm not getting into an argument with you -- I avoided it the first time for a reason -- I simply do not agree with you one iota on this matter.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Why do teams, and especially offenses, get better as the season progresses? Do you think it's because they get less reps/experience together? Is this what you are trying to tell me?

I'm not getting into an argument with you -- I avoided it the first time for a reason -- I simply do not agree with you one iota on this matter.

I understand they get better as seasons progress because they’re running their actual offense, the one that they *practice* daily. Reps in preseason games are meaningless because it’s not the offense they learned in OTA’s and it’s not the offense they run in preseason practices. It’s a thrown together game plan with no meaning and it’s an NFL money grab.

I’m still waiting for an answer: why were the Bears able to successfully run the offense they ran against the Steelers and Falcons when we all saw NONE of it in August? Shouldn’t they have suffered a bunch of injuries & tripped over themselves by racking up illegal formations and false starts? By your opinion, the answer is yes... but they didn’t, because they practiced it behind closed doors for hours on end for over a month.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I understand they get better as seasons progress because they’re running their actual offense, the one that they *practice* daily. Reps in preseason games are meaningless because it’s not the offense they learned in OTA’s and it’s not the offense they run in preseason practices. It’s a thrown together game plan with no meaning and it’s an NFL money grab.

I’m still waiting for an answer: why were the Bears able to successfully run the offense they ran against the Steelers and Falcons when we all saw NONE of it in August? Shouldn’t they have suffered a bunch of injuries & tripped over themselves by racking up illegal formations and false starts? By your opinion, the answer is yes... but they didn’t, because they practiced it behind closed doors for hours on end for over a month.

You have a pretty loose interpretation of "successful" offense. Vs ATL we passed for only 179 yards and punted for more yards than we passed. We scored 17 points. Vs PIT we passed for 84 yards. 84 damn yards...

Total offense was right around 300 yards for each of the games, which would rank us in the bottom 4 offensively when compared to the rest of the NFL teams' total yard averages. You also skip the TB game where we put up only 7 points as well. Against PIT the offense had 6 penalties too (10 total in the game), the other two had 8 and 4 total. So it isn't like they were disciplined...

So what the hell are you bragging about the Bears doing? lol. No one is saying they would be throwing up illegal formations or false starts, we are repeatedly saying the offense needs reps to get better, not to prevent complete incompetence.

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

You have a pretty loose interpretation of "successful" offense. Vs ATL we passed for only 179 yards and punted for more yards than we passed. We scored 17 points. Vs PIT we passed for 84 yards. 84 damn yards...

Total offense was right around 300 yards for each of the games, which would rank us in the bottom 4 offensively when compared to the rest of the NFL teams' total yard averages. You also skip the TB game where we put up only 7 points as well. Against PIT the offense had 6 penalties too (10 total in the game), the other two had 8 and 4 total. So it isn't like they were disciplined...

So what the hell are you bragging about the Bears doing? lol. No one is saying they would be throwing up illegal formations or false starts, we are repeatedly saying the offense needs reps to get better, not to prevent complete incompetence.

Come on. I never implied that the offense as a whole was great (although I could argue that Glennon was twice as good in the preseason as the regular season, which is surprising since those valuable reps never helped him come September). What I implied was that they ran a totally different offense in preseason than in the regular season, including the wildcat (and had success with it) which was an offense that we never saw in the preseason. So, how were they able to successfully run that wildcat offense if they had zero in-game reps practicing it prior to the regular season?

8 hours ago, Sugashane said:

To be fair though last year's offense under Fox was bad the entire year. Offense's do get better as the year goes on because of the timing and execution. The trend is for teams to sit regular's in the preseason. This will eventually lead the NFL  to do  a 18 game regular season with 2 preseason games.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Come on. I never implied that the offense was great. What I implied was that they ran a totally different offense in preseason than in the regular season, including the wildcat which we never saw in the preseason. So, how were they able to successfully run that wildcat offense if they had zero in-game reps practicing it prior to the regular season?

I agree that all teams do practice during camp and that leads to those plays.

16 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You know my thoughts on the preseason by now, but if you think reps are important and the lack of them are going to hurt the Bears here, why are you going to watch? You started this thread with 5 posts in like 3 hours and now you seem sad about reps. Green Bay and the Bears' starters played next to no snaps the entire preseason. In your opinion, it'll be a 13-10 final with a ton of penalties.

Hopefully Shaheen's final catch against Denver has him very well prepared for when he returns in week 6 or 7. That was one important rep there. That catch will be the difference between average and good when it comes to his performance this year.

And when the Bears lose, I don't want to hear "GB was in a different situation! They have more veterans and they need less time to gel!" Stop. Green Bay's roster is as young as the Bears (25.7 years old).

I have no idea about your thoughts or dont recall.  Had nothing to do with you. 

Comment was meant to be just a joke about the topic.  People are so serious these days.  

There are valid arguments for avoiding injuries vs game prep.  

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I’ve always loved when people don’t believe in the Bears. In the event that they pull an upset, it just makes it so much sweeter.

I wouldn't consider a Bears victory an upset. The Bears are more talented on paper especially on defense. A great defense can neutralize a great QB. Rodgers always struggled against Fangios scheme in SF when he had the  defensive talent. He now has the talent in Chicago to give Rodgers fits again.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we got swept this year. I  look at this as being a semi rebuilding year for us. This team has a lot of question marks. A lot of youth and roster turnover, new coaches, new schemes, OL depth and health, Edge talent and depth etc.

This offense is totally dependent on the health and performance of the OL no matter how many weapons they have. And if the preseason OL performance is an indication of how they will play in the regular season this team is in trouble.

Chicago has tanked for a few years and has now amassed a great deal of talent drafting in the top 10 every year and good FA moves. That's how you closed the talent gap. The Packers on the other hand were always picking in the bottom 30's. Our old GM had a lot of draft misses and he shunned free agency resulting in mediocre rosters that overachieved every year because of Rodgers.

Archived