What teams are most likely to move on from their QBs if they have disappointing seasons?

patriotsheatyan

On the Dalton comments:

If the Bengals tank this year and Dalton is horrible, yeah, you have to think about replacing him.  Especially if there's a QB there in the draft.

But, if you watch the team closely, you'll see a guy who's played pretty well the last 4-5 years.  His last two haven't been statistically great, but the offensive talent around him was offensive.  The line was one of the worst pass blocking units the league, and the receiving options outside of Green were replacement level.

I don't think they'll be any position to draft a top QB after this year.  So no, he's not going anywhere.

In fact, i'd give better odds that he gets an extension.

Unfortunately the casual fan believes what the media tells him to believe. For instance I don’t know much about Tannehill beyond that he’s been injured a lot and has been ok statistically. But, most Dolphins fans still believe he is their QB and doesn’t need replaced. I think there’s a split base in Cincy on Dalton, but like @theJ said, Dalton is a lot better than people give him credit for. 

36 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Unfortunately the casual fan believes what the media tells him to believe. For instance I don’t know much about Tannehill beyond that he’s been injured a lot and has been ok statistically. But, most Dolphins fans still believe he is their QB and doesn’t need replaced. 

He only had one injury imho, after Calais Campbell landed on Tannehill's knee in late 2016, just as the Fins were about to earn a Wildcard spot in the playoffs (not a dirty hit, just one of those things when big bodies are flying around). Tannehill's season was over, so he didn't even get to play in the playoff game. 

Doctors at the time said the knee didn't need surgery but months later in 2017 training camp the same knee injury became ligament damage during practice, from no contact. Crap. So yes he should've had surgery in 2016, but hey hindsight is 20/20. 

I'm hoping it stays simple:

2016: rookie head coach Gase and Tannehill...make playoffs

2017: Gase and no Tannehill...don't make playoffs

2018: Gase and Tannehill...make playoffs ;) 

On 06/09/2018 at 12:29 PM, Bolts223 said:

I think the Saints are a dark horse here, especially if Brees falls off.

Although maybe not since they don't have a first round pick next year.

I don't think lacking a 1st round pick next year is even a big factor.  With the Saints, i think that's at least a part of what trading for Teddy was about.  He can sit and learn in that system for a year and if Brees does pack it in...you've got Teddy ready to step in and take the helm.  If Brees sticks around, Teddy goes somewhere else and continues his quest to find a starting job, despite probably being better than at least 1/3rd of QBs in the league, if not more.

But you have to factor in that this year's QB crop doesn't look like last season's.  There aren't going to be 5 first round QBs this time around.  There are some interesting prospects, but barring some huge strides in college this year, they're all looking at least a year away from starting.  So that's going to play into teams looking at whether or not to replace their starting QB.  I could see a number of teams drafting a guy to sit and develop and maybe take the reins at some point...but i don't think a lot of teams are going to be ditching starters they're contractually obligated to in a big way, just to throw some raw rookie in there with this year's QB draft crop.

I think that could be a real factor in limiting some of the potential starting QB turnover after this season, even if some guys probably haven't done enough to keep their seat safe.

Archived