What teams are most likely to move on from their QBs if they have disappointing seasons?

patriotsheatyan

Browns, Bills, Cardinals, : Tyrod Taylor is gone unless he explodes/leads them deep into the playoffs. Baker was the #1 overall pick, so he's their "future". Same with Peterman/Allen in Buffalo and Bradford in Arizona

Baltimore: See above with Flacco/Jackson

Cincinnati: I can't believe that they continue to let Dalton be their QB 8+ years in unless his OL is just THAT BAD again.

Miami: Ryan Tannehill is in a make or break year

Jax: IF Bortles struggles (last year solid game manager), then they'll get someone else. They can't let that elite defense window and solid youth movement on O fade.

Denver: Case Keenum, if he struggles, will be gone

I think most people will probably respond with Bortles, given that team is built to win now, but I actually view that as somewhat unlikely. They don't save a ton by cutting him (only 4.5), and they aren't exactly in an ideal position cap wise to go out and try to bring in a better veteran quarterback alternative. If Bortles struggles, I think it's far more likely that they bring him back to finish out the string in 2019, and draft a guy to groom behind him and provide competition. 

My two most likely would probably be the Dolphins and Broncos. Tannehill is already 30 years old, and at best he's an inconsistent quarterback who topped out at about average. He has a lot of dead money next year (still 13 mil, I think), but also saves a good chunk of change (also 13 million). If the team struggles, Gase could be in trouble as well, and if that is the case, new regimes tend to mean new quarterbacks. Even if Gase isn't in trouble, it's not like Tannehill was his guy to begin with. 

Case Keenum parlayed his QB Manager skills into the contract with the Broncos, and while he still has a bit of dead money next year, he saves about an equal amount. If he reverts to a pumpkin and the team struggles, I could see them go another direction rather easily. Plus, at some point, Elway has to feel some heat. I think they have already cut half their 2017 draft class, they cut their first round pick from 2016, and if Keenum isn't the answer at quarterback, they simply don't have one. 

Bridgewater could probably be had for what they are saving by cutting either guy, particularly if he's largely guaranteed a starting spot going into the season. Other guys, such as a Bradford, could be available on the cheap end as well, and that may simply be preferable than sticking with the guys that they have if they struggle. 

**I'm not including the Browns and Bills and Cardinals since they drafted the guy that they hope to be the answer this year and it should be only a matter of time before they take over. 

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Baltimore: See above with Flacco/Jackson

I forgot about Baltimore. They probably have to be considered, but I feel like that is going to be highly dependent on how Jackson looks. I dont' think it'll be a situation where they cut him after the season. I feel like if they are going to cut Flacco after this year, it'll happen because Jackson makes major strides in TC and preseason and they just want to roll with him as the starter, and end up cutting Flacco during the preseason. But I think that will be wholly dependent on how Jackson looks going into the season. 

3 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

What will Tampa and Tennessee do if Mariota and Winston don’t improve while missing the playoffs?

Will they offer extensions or let things play out next year on their fifth year options?

5th year options. 

On 9/6/2018 at 2:02 PM, Danger said:

The big ones are Miami, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. Browns have already named Baker Mayfield the starter or have the intention to do so after not too long into the season.

um...no...

the browns have never stated they plan to start Baker at any point this season. Only way he plays is if Tyrod gets hurt or the team is hot garbage. Which I hope Tyrod doesn’t get hurt and this team shouldn’t be hot garbage they should sniff 6-8 wins this year 

On 9/6/2018 at 2:10 PM, patriotsheatyan said:

What will Tampa and Tennessee do if Mariota and Winston don’t improve while missing the playoffs?

Will they offer extensions or let things play out next year on their fifth year options?

Jameis already got his fifth year option. So we'll ride it out and pay him his $21M.

Archived