New Rules

Golfman

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I heard Collinsworth say there's a new rule that the refs are going to blow dead most offsides penalties now....?

He even mentioned that Rodgers would be upset lol....

That would be crap unless they have a clear shot at the QB they should let it go. Which I believe was the rule before. 

Not quite halftime yet and there have been 15 accepted penalties for almost 120 yards. RIDICULOUS! 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I heard Collinsworth say there's a new rule that the refs are going to blow dead most offsides penalties now....?

He even mentioned that Rodgers would be upset lol....

just checked the rulebook, not seeing anything new there. It's always been the rule that if the OL moves in response to defense entering the neutral zone, that's an NZI and is blown dead. It's just not always enforced well.

Can a DB now shove the WR out of bounds and no longer have it called: "it would have been a reception because the WR would have come down in bounds if not pushed out?"

If so - thats a good rule for the DBs. You dont have to exclusively play the ball - let him catch it - just make sure to shove him out of bounds.

It that the way it is now?

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Can a DB now shove the WR out of bounds and no longer have it called: "it would have been a reception because the WR would have come down in bounds if not pushed out?"

If so - thats a good rule for the DBs. You dont have to exclusively play the ball - let him catch it - just make sure to shove him out of bounds.

It that the way it is now?

The push out rule hasn't been in the NFL for about five years now.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

The push out rule hasn't been in the NFL for about five years now.

In fact, the "force out" rule was eliminated in 2008.

Also I have no idea what Collinsworth was talking about re: "they will blow the whistle now" since the penalty in question was a neutral zone infraction, which has always stopped the play.

5 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

In fact, the "force out" rule was eliminated in 2008.

Also I have no idea what Collinsworth was talking about re: "they will blow the whistle now" since the penalty in question was a neutral zone infraction, which has always stopped the play.

Okay - thanks.

Yeah it was Collingsworth's comment on that last play of the ATL/PHILLY game that prompted my question. I may be misinterpreting it cause it would seem a easier defensive move to let the guy catch the pass - or not focus on defending against it as much as simply shoving him out of bounds.

Archived