2019 NFL Draft/College Thread

ttitansfan4life

Another question... let’s assume R Gary, E Oliver, Q Williams, Bosa, Josh Allen are all off the board in Rd 1. Would you rather ...

1) Trade up to pick 13 (Dolphins pick) and select Christian Wilkins?

or..

2) Stay at pick 19 and select Dexter Lawrence?

Also, what would we have to give up to move up to pick 13?

29 minutes ago, Mariota615TN said:

Another question... let’s assume R Gary, E Oliver, Q Williams, Bosa, Josh Allen are all off the board in Rd 1. Would you rather ...

1) Trade up to pick 13 (Dolphins pick) and select Christian Wilkins?

or..

2) Stay at pick 19 and select Dexter Lawrence?

Also, what would we have to give up to move up to pick 13?

Neither.  If anything, trade down.  There's a dropoff in talent after the first few defensive linemen are off the board.  Stay there and take the best player that fits a need, or trade down a few spots to recover some value.  If the first four DLine guys (Williams, Oliver, Wilkins, Gary) and the first three Pass rushers (Bosa, Sweat, Allen) are gone, then chances are that there's a top prospect at another position who's falling, just based on the number of top end prospects and the QBs expected to go.  Raiders may want up for someone, since they have a lot of capital, any of the CB needy teams could look to get in front of the Steelers for the top CB on their board if all are still there, or there could be a QB that someone wants to grab.  There would be options, no need to reach or trade up.

If anything, unless one of the top three pass rushers or top four DL guys is there, I would prefer to trade down so we can address all four big needs early in the draft, or gain the capital to trade up for someone they really like later.

EDIT: As for what it would cost, my guess is something like our second round pick would be the cost, with us maybe getting a sixth or seventh out of it too.

I’m definitely not trading up that high for Wilkins. He’s a good player but he’s not that damn good. Oliver is a different story but trading up is going to cost a lot and since we only had a 4 pick draft last season with only 3 making it, plus a ton of FAs after this season, we need as many picks as we can get this season.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't see Oliver making it to 19.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Brian Burns in the first.  I'm resigned to all the players I really want being gone.  Wilkins, Oliver, Sweat, even Ferrell.

I'm in a similar spot. Oliver I would trade up for if he falls out of the top 10ish picks. Also warming up to Burns at 19, don't think I'd trade up for him.

Only difference is I'm not a fan of Sweat or Ferrell. More of round 2 guys to me.

1 hour ago, SARGO127 said:

Oliver around 13-16 is worth trading up for. This guy would be a huge difference maker on defense with Casey.

Nah.  Trading up, realistically, for Oliver means that you probably only get real help for only one of the following positions of need, and you probably don't get it til the third round: WR, OL, DL.  That and we have to hope that we don't miss on either pick, or we have some huge areas of need.

Plus, if Oliver is there at 13-16, I can imagine the price might be steeper than we'd like, since we won't be the only team salivating over getting him.  That and if Oliver is there at 16, I'll take my chances that Wilkins is there at 19.

Archived