The Good, the Bad, the Second Half Losers vs the Rams

RaidersAreOne

On 9/12/2018 at 12:05 PM, Nightmare said:

I just watched the condensed version of this on GamePass (wasn't exactly in a rush to watch), and I actually don't think the overall performance was as bad as I was expecting it to be when I saw the score. For 3 quarters, we competed well with one of the best teams in football, and that was with Carr having a bad game pretty much the whole way through. It still looks like he's playing scared like he did all of last year, and that's a big worry. But overall, I'm not too down after this game. The penalties were an issue, and it'd be nice to have a team who isn't dead last in penalties every year, but I think being overmatched on Monday night maybe played a part in us giving away so many. Guys trying to time the snap to get an early jump, guys holding on a second too long, etc.

Defense was much improved from a coaching standpoint. Guenther is way ahead of anything we've had at DC in a long time. The problem is he's got pretty much no real talent to work with, which we all knew anyway. We won't be playing that type of offense every week, though - Todd Gurley is something else, and I think we'll do a good job limiting weaker teams in 2018. No more middle of the road RB's working us for 150 yards as has been the case for years now... hopefully.

Carr is the biggest worry. Gruden has a lot of work to do to get him back to his 2016 level, but for all the criticism he's (rightly) had since returning to Oakland, raising Carr's level is something I'm pretty hopeful he'll be able to do.

I didn't always see the playing scared. So many pockets were rapidly collapsing on Monday I was scared watching the game. Look at Goff's pocket and how much space/time he had to step into throws uncontested. Carr didn't have that luxury, making it harder to drive throws downfield. He had a bad throw to Cook on the redzone pick, but Johnson also made a good play on the ball.

The pick 6 was a miscommunication with Cook. The only pick that was truly awful was the throwaway, but he even acknowledged that it was a mental error in trying to throw it away. 

None of these throws/plays inherently bother me in terms of him trying to take what isn't there when it clearly isn't there, which would be extremely concerning. His accuracy when his reads were good was mainly fine. He had a beautiful throw to cook that he put between 2 defenders that no one has mentioned.

I do want to see him be more aggressive, but in watching the Cooper deep balls, Cooper uncovered after Carr made his read. The last throw to Richard, on which Cooper uncovered down the field would have been a huge gain if Richard caught it, given all the space in front of him for him to run.

I think Carr will look good this week. He needs to continue to play within this offense in the regular season, but I'm still convinced he's going to be quite good.

Honestly, I'm more miffed that we didn't try screens to Cooper, or using him on more sweeps like the Rams did with Gurley.

The biggest difference in this game was that the Rams could use play action because of Gurley and we couldn't because of their DL, which crippled the pass game because of no fear of play action, meaning many passing situations were obvious. The Rams will have that luxury all year. I fully expect Carr to launch some bombs off of play action passes this year.

I'm starting to think Carr kills games, his mistakes kills the momentum, it's not the first time we had chances to go up 2 or more scores in a game then Carr throws a int on a bad throw and totally zaps all momentum when it looked like we were on the way to victory he changes the game with a bad throw.

9 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I'm starting to think Carr kills games, his mistakes kills the momentum, it's not the first time we had chances to go up 2 or more scores in a game then Carr throws a int on a bad throw and totally zaps all momentum when it looked like we were on the way to victory he changes the game with a bad throw.

I'm sure the penalties on the offense didn't factor at all did they?

Everyone needs to relax.... The overreaction to week 1 is ridiculous. Every season it's something. Stafford and Big Ben are washed up. Matt Ryan can't throw any more. Darnold is the next Joe Namath, etc.

It's week 1. New system that is very complex. Come week 6 he's still struggling, then hit the panic button. Carr was on fire prior to that INT, but nobody seems to want to mention that.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's week 1. New system that is very complex. Come week 6 he's still struggling, then hit the panic button. Carr was on fire prior to that INT, but nobody seems to want to mention that.

He played like crap all of last season and appears to be the same player he was last season. He definitely looked good in the first half but the Rams adjusted and he played terribly in the second half. Gruden had ten years to prepare and made zero adjustments at the half. 

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He played like crap all of last season and appears to be the same player he was last season. He definitely looked good in the first half but the Rams adjusted and he played terribly in the second half. Gruden had ten years to prepare and made zero adjustments at the half. 

Hot take much. Richard doesn't drop a wide open ball on 3rd down, it's a different ball game. It all comes down to execution. He looked like he was thinking to much at times. 

Compared to Downings offense, this is a masters course. Give it time. 

Ugghh. Coaches taking about Carr being aggressive and he counters with not wanting to “force throws” and defending throw aways and check downs. I get it, you need to do it sometimes, but not when your 4.4 receiver is running freely down field. Hang in the pocket another split second and scan the field.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Everyone needs to relax.... The overreaction to week 1 is ridiculous. Every season it's something. Stafford and Big Ben are washed up. Matt Ryan can't throw any more. Darnold is the next Joe Namath, etc.

It doesn't change the fact he makes game changing mistakes at the wrong time period!

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's on fire in alot of games until he makes the mistake that lets them back in it.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Hot take much. Richard doesn't drop a wide open ball on 3rd down, it's a different ball game. It all comes down to execution. He looked like he was thinking to much at times. 

Compared to Downings offense, this is a masters course. Give it time. 

Execution Should include Carr as well.

@big_palooka and @MrOaktown_56 yall not serious right. No way is that a good read. Lets be real if green, jones, odell, brown, landry and about 10 more wrs in that spot, they get ball there. You have to be reading man with one high safety before u hike ball. You know you got your number 1 wr in slot. Once safety breaks opposite way cooper has to be your first read. You should be looking right at safety or to opposite side of cooper to look safety off. But cooper has to be your first read in that situation. Yeah richard kills his defender on the rb angle. He might get 30 40 yards or score. Cooper scores for sure if you throw him a decent ball. Great to elite qbs throw that ball to cooper without a doubt. 

6 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

Ugghh. Coaches taking about Carr being aggressive and he counters with not wanting to “force throws” and defending throw aways and check downs. I get it, you need to do it sometimes, but not when your 4.4 receiver is running freely down field. Hang in the pocket another split second and scan the field.

Yeah, Carr always has an excuse. Time for him to nut up and play up to that contract he got especially because we let go of the best defensive player in the league to build a team around him. 

3 hours ago, dante9876 said:

@big_palooka and @MrOaktown_56 yall not serious right. No way is that a good read. Lets be real if green, jones, odell, brown, landry and about 10 more wrs in that spot, they get ball there. You have to be reading man with one high safety before u hike ball. You know you got your number 1 wr in slot. Once safety breaks opposite way cooper has to be your first read. You should be looking right at safety or to opposite side of cooper to look safety off. But cooper has to be your first read in that situation. Yeah richard kills his defender on the rb angle. He might get 30 40 yards or score. Cooper scores for sure if you throw him a decent ball. Great to elite qbs throw that ball to cooper without a doubt. 

I think if Cooper was Carr's first read, I would agree with you for sure. However, because the rush was getting to him the whole game, he was looking at the angle route first because it would uncover faster. Obviously in a perfect world, he would hit Cooper for sure, but in the context of the game, I would have had no problem with him taking 30/40 given that Richard was his first read due to shaky pass pro.

Archived