The Good, the Bad, the Second Half Losers vs the Rams

RaidersAreOne

I just watched the condensed version of this on GamePass (wasn't exactly in a rush to watch), and I actually don't think the overall performance was as bad as I was expecting it to be when I saw the score. For 3 quarters, we competed well with one of the best teams in football, and that was with Carr having a bad game pretty much the whole way through. It still looks like he's playing scared like he did all of last year, and that's a big worry. But overall, I'm not too down after this game. The penalties were an issue, and it'd be nice to have a team who isn't dead last in penalties every year, but I think being overmatched on Monday night maybe played a part in us giving away so many. Guys trying to time the snap to get an early jump, guys holding on a second too long, etc.

Defense was much improved from a coaching standpoint. Guenther is way ahead of anything we've had at DC in a long time. The problem is he's got pretty much no real talent to work with, which we all knew anyway. We won't be playing that type of offense every week, though - Todd Gurley is something else, and I think we'll do a good job limiting weaker teams in 2018. No more middle of the road RB's working us for 150 yards as has been the case for years now... hopefully.

Carr is the biggest worry. Gruden has a lot of work to do to get him back to his 2016 level, but for all the criticism he's (rightly) had since returning to Oakland, raising Carr's level is something I'm pretty hopeful he'll be able to do.

18 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Man i'm wondering if Gruden already losing the team Keon Hatcher waived today and post on twitter "Can't trust noooobody"

Yes.... that's what did it. Shuffling the bottom end of your roster on week 2 lol.

This is going to be a loooong 10 years isn't it? 

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I was going to mention I don't remember seeing a lot of Miller, which is good for a rookie LT vs this D. However he did have a couple penalties iirc. Obviously Carr was getting the ball out extremely fast (too fast) so that helps pass-pro a lot.

I only remember one holding on Miller 

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Two observations from #Raiders All-22 film. 1) Amari Cooper operated a lot out of the slot. 2) Kolton Miller and Donald Penn both held their own in protection. Interior OL did not.

46% of his snaps were from the slot. Loved seeing that utilization and full expect it to pay off big when the offense gets in sync.

18 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Does anybody know when the DTs were hurt in the Rams game .

Did it correspond with the defense falling apart ?

Watched the game again last night (glutton for punishment) and it must have been quite late in the 4th, maybe just after the pick 6 so the collapse had happened by the time both were out.

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Won't matter if Carr refuses to throw the ball downfield. Richard had more targets week one than Cooper, Jordy, & Roberts combined. 

It was clearly part of the game plan for cook and richard to be heavily targeted. But yes carr has happy feet. He eill hopefully settle down.

14 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

It was clearly part of the game plan for cook and richard to be heavily targeted. But yes carr has happy feet. He eill hopefully settle down.

I doubt the gameplan was to not throw to the receivers. Again, Carr is so passive out there. He looks like the same player he was last year. 

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I doubt the gameplan was to not throw to the receivers. Again, Carr is so passive out there. He looks like the same player he was last year. 

I also didnt say that. I said that cook and richard were gameplanned to get heavy targets. Plays where the #1 read is cook or richard.

Carr looked like he didnt want to throw to their corners due to matchups, and liked the matchup attacking their linebackers. Passive is one way to look at it. Disciplined is another.

Either way i hope carr improves. 

Archived