Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford

patriotsheatyan

Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Alex Smith vs Matthew Stafford, who’s better

• Stafford
    • Smith

31 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Splitting hairs here: I came up with 13.1 INTs and 6.3 fumbles per season ( I did not include the 4 INTs he threw on Monday) via Pro Football Reference. Either way its way worse than Smith and we all know how important turnovers are in deciding NFL games

They rank right next to each other on the INT list for active QBs, the difference being that Stafford threw 26 more in 4 fewer seasons

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_int_active.htm

Game killing Pick Sixes ? Stafford leads Smith 19-7, in 4 fewer seasons, He's currently tied with Jay freaking Cutler.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pick_six_active.htm

I think you can make a solid case for solid Smith, others prefer the more mercurial Stafford.

When we talked about Smith in the offseason, a couple of Packers fans suggested that Smith- to- the- vikings was a greater threat to GB than Cousins- to- the- vikings and I agreed. Smith takes care of the football, I doubt he has any 4 INT games, while Stafford just added another one to his career total. I watched Favre throw away game after game with boneheaded plays, I see the same fatal flaw in Stafford despite his obvious talent.

Stafford is no doubt more reckless with the football but I wouldn’t trade him for Alex Smith. It would take more than QB adjustments and the “threat of a run by Alex Smith” to get a decent run game in Detroit and I highly doubt smith would pull off what Stafford has.

25 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

Stafford having to be the focal point of his offense and getting a team like last year's Lions to a winning record is more impressive than anything Smith has done imo.

You realize that the Chiefs had the 30th ranked defense by DVOA, and the 32nd ranked defense by weighted DVOA last year, right?  And Smith had the best season of his career.

7 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

You realize that the Chiefs had the 30th ranked defense by DVOA, and the 32nd ranked defense by weighted DVOA last year, right?  And Smith had the best season of his career.

And also the 5th ranked rushing offense by DVOA.

1 hour ago, Bobikus said:

Stafford having to be the focal point of his offense and getting a team like last year's Lions to a winning record is more impressive than anything Smith has done imo.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/08/kansas-city-chiefs-new-england-patriots-season-opener-alex-smith-kareem-hunt-andy-reid-tom-brady-bill-belichick

Alex Smith Made the Patriots Look Like Clowns

"On the night when the Patriots raised their fifth championship banner, New England fans seemed more concerned about the red nose on the Roger Goodell clown towels than the red helmets coming out of the visitors' locker room. But Alex Smith had one of his best nights, completing 28 of 35 passes for 368 yards and four touchdowns, and rookie running back Kareem Hunt set an NFL record for most scrimmage yards in a debut (246). In a stunning upset, the Kansas City Chiefs posted the most points (42) and yards (537) ever against a Bill Belichick-coached team in New England. With a passer rating of 148.6, his performance on the Patriots’ home turf was downright Brady-esque. "

That's pretty impressive...:)

I think they're at a very similar level, but it's a tough comparison to make due to the substantial differences in style, support, and what has been asked of them. Smith is the more successful QB from a team perspective because he has been supported better in terms of coaching and defense. Stafford owns bulk stats because he has simply needed to throw substantially more. Their efficiency numbers are actually pretty similar (very similar QB rating, very similar completion %) and the ones with a slightly bigger gap are pretty easily explained by circumstance (Smith's lower turnover rate comes from less risky or desperate situations, Stafford's higher TD rate and YPA comes from him having better deep targets and more reason to throw aggressively.) Overall I think it puts them in a similar place from like a ranking and quality perspective, just with vastly different circumstance and style.

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think they're at a very similar level, but it's a tough comparison to make due to the substantial differences in style, support, and what has been asked of them. Smith is the more successful QB from a team perspective because he has been supported better in terms of coaching and defense. Stafford owns bulk stats because he has simply needed to throw substantially more. Their efficiency numbers are actually pretty similar (very similar QB rating, very similar completion %) and the ones with a slightly bigger gap are pretty easily explained by circumstance (Smith's lower turnover rate comes from less risky or desperate situations, Stafford's higher TD rate and YPA comes from him having better deep targets and more reason to throw aggressively.) Overall I think it puts them in a similar place from like a ranking and quality perspective, just with vastly different circumstance and style.

Very well said and I can’t disagree with any portion of it.

34 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

As usual, very well thought out and strong post

12 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yes, and Smith had a lot to do with that.

Only in the sense that a run game is going to have issues if the QB isn't competent and Smith is at least that.  There's not some special property Stafford lacks that Smith has that makes run games as vastly better as the Chiefs has been compared to the Lions.

Kinda have a soft spot for Smith as he went through constant chaos to begin his career yet always kept moving forward. With so many different offensive coordinators and coaches, plus the massive pressure of being the top overall draft pick in '05. I'll never forget that ballzy run by Smith to beat the Saints in the playoffs in Jim Harbaugh's first year at the helm. Didn't see that play coming. 

Both these QB's are gettin' PAID, gigantic salaries. 

Archived