2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There's something alarming about going with a "high floor" pass rusher, and I'm not sure I'm real comfortable going with a "limited" pass rusher.  I don't recall the last time a limited pass rusher ended up exceeding expectations.  This forum was all about Courtney Upshaw, and his measureables shot all kinds of red flags.  At this point, he's my "worst case" scenario at 12 or quickly getting there.  I'm going to go back and look at Sweat again.  Thought he was a good athlete, didn't think he was that kind of an athlete.  Right now, my EDGE tiers goes like this.

Bosa
(Tier)
Allen
(Tier)
Burns/Ferrell/Ferrell
(Tier)
Gary/Polite

I agree with that, but there are two Ferrell's in the third tier?  :)  Guessing you meant Sweat.

And...I don't feel that Ferrell is a limited pass rusher.  He's got great ball get off, there is explosion there.  Not a lot of bend, but enough.  And he's going to be very solid against the run right away.  Sure you miss out on bend with Ferrell, but you gain the run defense right away.  

2 hours ago, persiandud said:

I am all in on Brian Burns at 12. But can someone who has analyzed Montez Sweat's tape sell me on him? he wasn't someone I was really looking at, and then he blew up his combine 

I've watched quite a bit of him.  His highlights are full of him getting unblocked sacks or clean up sacks when Simmons caves the line.

Here are my takeaways....

He has an ideal frame for EDGE.  He's perfect.  He has good strength.  Often times he locks out his guy, then sheds and moves to where the QB is going.  He has a good knack for identifying where the QB is being flushed and he gets there.  And he finishes.

I didn't see him win "fast".  I didn't see him with any bendy moves.  But I did see excellent effort and he seems to understand leverage naturally.

That is what I saw on tape.

Then he had an outstanding Senior Bowl, showed a lot of stuff in drills there that I didn't see on his highlight tape.

Then he destroyed the combine.  Speed was amazing.  All other drills were very good.

And now I'm guessing that many NFL scouts are re-looking at film to see if those athletic traits were shown on the field.  I can't help but wonder if he was coached to do things a certain way and that limited what we saw on tape.  

PFF has him on a "buyer beware" list.  Lack of pressures.  But this much I know.  Ideal frame.  Unreal combine.  There are skillsets to work with there.

Speaking of Simmons, where do people expect him to go now that the combine is over and knowing he won't be available until next year? A lot of players killed it and vaulted themselves into 1st round territory. Would #44 be too early? 

59 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Speaking of Simmons, where do people expect him to go now that the combine is over and knowing he won't be available until next year? A lot of players killed it and vaulted themselves into 1st round territory. Would #44 be too early? 

Kinda think #44 is too late for Simmons.  ACL injuries aren't as devastating as they used to be.

Preparing my body for when David Sills V is our 2nd round pick..... :|

Productive collegiate WR, not a terribly pressing need & not the sexy name that you'd expect at that pick w/ a slew of others still on the board. So, sounds about right.

Hope I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Why do you have Burns in a higher tier than Polite? Honestly haven't seen any of the combine numbers so I'm curious.

Burns has better production (3 years vs. 1 year), tested better, and didn't have those whole weird interview process.  My biggest issue with Burns was he explosive at 240+.  He came in at 249 and was one of the more explosive athletes.  His stock jumped as much for me as anyone based on those Combine results.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not Alex but I've had him as the #1 OT in the class since the Senior Bowl. His kick step is freakishly Bahk like. He's a true LT all day long though, so is the value for us there? When Williams or Taylor profile more to the right side. Either way, think he's going to be a stud. Bengals would be smart to grab him.

I think he's going to end up by my top tackle by default, but I really hate the offensive scheme he is coming out of.  I feel like you're going to have to reteach him the fundamentals.  Can't pass on those God given athleticism though.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I agree with that, but there are two Ferrell's in the third tier?  :)  Guessing you meant Sweat.

And...I don't feel that Ferrell is a limited pass rusher.  He's got great ball get off, there is explosion there.  Not a lot of bend, but enough.  And he's going to be very solid against the run right away.  Sure you miss out on bend with Ferrell, but you gain the run defense right away.  

He's not Upshaw limited, but there's not a whole lot of bend with him either.  The 3-cone pretty much confirmed it.  He's more of a bull in a china shop pass rusher.  And I'm usually of the type that prefer those that have that turn the corner speed, which really isn't Ferrell's game.  And the last few Clemson DE that have came out have struggled.  Not saying there's a correlation there, but it's in the back of your mind.

And yeah, I meant Sweat.

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

Just kinda depends on how the interview process goes.  His stock is volatile because of that, not the injury.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Burns has better production (3 years vs. 1 year), tested better, and didn't have those whole weird interview process.  My biggest issue with Burns was he explosive at 240+.  He came in at 249 and was one of the more explosive athletes.  His stock jumped as much for me as anyone based on those Combine results.

Yep. And while he was undersized at FSU, he wasn't a liability against the run. Polite was more of a strict pass rusher. 

Burns has about every pass rush move in his arsenal as well (minus the bull rush). He has all the tools you look for in 34 OLB.

I wasn't on board with either Burns or Sweat prior to the combine because of the questions about their size but I'd be ok with either at 12 now.  I'd prefer both over both Ferrell and Polite at this point.  

Packers Talk:

Peter Schrager – NFL Network

No. 12: Devin White, Inside Linebacker – LSU

No. 30: Marquise Brown, Wide Receiver – Oklahoma

Brad Kelly – The Draft Network

No. 12: Brian Burns, Edge – Florida St.

No. 30: Irv Smith Jr., Tight End – Alabama

Will Brinson – CBS Sports

No. 12: Ed Oliver, Defensive Tackle – Houston

No. 30: Pick traded to the Steelers for Antonio Brown

Mel Kiper Jr. – ESPN

No. 12: Marquise Brown, Wide Receiver – Oklahoma

No. 30: Devin Bush, Inside Linebacker – Michigan

Chad Reuter – NFL.com

No. 12: Jachai Polite, Edge – Florida

No. 30: Irv Smith Jr., Tight End – Iowa

Todd McShay – ESPN

No. 12: Devin White, Inside Linebacker – LSU

No. 30: Oshane Ximines, Edge – Old Dominion

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

Simmons is in a similar situation to that of Sidney Jones in 2017.  Jones was the #43 pick after blowing out his achilles during his pro day.  He was probably going to be the #2 CB off the board.  Saying that though, Jones had been through a very successful combine and suffered a more serious injury.

12-devin white

30-jalachai polite

44-Jeffrey Simmons 

that would be be a dream come true for me. I understand a lot of people don’t want an ILB that early, a lot of people have jumped off the polite bandwagon, and taking a player that may not even see the field this year isn’t very exciting.

and add ET and the Honey Badger in FA. ***** *****.

Archived