2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I'd take this as a start to things......

12 - Brian Burns, EDGE
30 - Noah Fant, TE
44 - Nasir Adderley, S

Addresses my primary positional concerns with decent talent :)

Here's my TDN mock

I think this is a possible way things fall. I am beyond certain we will take an OL with one of our top three picks. TDN is more realistic than Fanspeak. 

12 Ed Oliver, IDL

30  Chris Lindstrom, IOL/RT

44 Charles Omenihu, IDL

75 Amani Hooker, S

114 Josh Oliver, TE

118 Will Harris, S

150 Rodney Anderson, RB

185 Hunter Renfrow, WR

194 Max Scharping, OT (only six rounds)

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Seen some chatter about this comment by White. Aside from whether you'd draft him at 12 or not, any problem with his "$100 million" comment?

I have a problem with it. It shows he cares more about the money. We've seen how that is a distraction time and time again. It never ends well. That's why you hear Gute talking about guys who love football. Guys that have football oriented goals. It's one of the things teams try to find out when interviewing.  It's why TT stated one of the most important things about the combine was seeing the interaction between players. I assume players that were chatting about "show me the money" were crossed off the list. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So are dumb comments like White's. Is he the next Antonio Brown ? Why take the chance ?

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I have a problem with it. It shows he cares more about the money. We've seen how that is a distraction time and time again. It never ends well. That's why you hear Gute talking about guys who love football. Guys that have football oriented goals. It's one of the things teams try to find out when interviewing.  It's why TT stated one of the most important things about the combine was seeing the interaction between players. I assume players that were chatting about "show me the money" were crossed off the list. Is White the next Antonio Brown ? Why take the chance ?

It is his future means of making money for financial security.  Is he supposed to want to sign for the vet minimum?

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I have a problem with it. It shows he cares more about the money. We've seen how that is a distraction time and time again. It never ends well. That's why you hear Gute talking about guys who love football. Guys that have football oriented goals. It's one of the things teams try to find out when interviewing.  It's why TT stated one of the most important things about the combine was seeing the interaction between players. I assume players that were chatting about "show me the money" were crossed off the list. Is White the next Antonio Brown ? Why take the chance ?

There's no player in the NFL that loves football more than money. Sorry to burst your bubble. 

So, I was trying to come up with a "No. 12" board of players I think Gute would consider for the No. 12 pick (assuming he had to take a player and couldn't trade out). Came up with 17 players that I think Gute would find at least worthy of consideration at 12 and tried to guess the possible order of those players on his board: 

1. Nick Bosa (EDGE)

2. Quinnen Williams (IDL)

3. Josh Allen (EDGE)

4. Jawaan Taylor (OT)

5. Ed Oliver (IDL)

6. Devin White (ILB)

7. Montez Sweat (EDGE)

8. Rashan Gary (EDGE/IDL)

9. Brian Burns (EDGE)

10. Andre Dillard (OT)

11. Greedy Williams (CB)

12. Jonah Williams (OG/OT)

13. T.J. Hockenson (TE)

14. Devin Bush (ILB)

15. Noah Fant (TE)

16. Christian Wilkins (IDL)

17. Jerry Tillery (IDL) 

No QB, RB, WR or SAF on the board for No. 12. 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It is his future means of making money for financial security.  Is he supposed to want to sign for the vet minimum?

He is supposed to talk about trying to be the best player he can. He is supposed to talk about trying to help his team win. He isn't supposed to be talking about "show me the money" 5 years from now before he has even played an NFL down. 

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

He is supposed to talk about trying to be the best player he can. He is supposed to talk about trying to help his team win. He isn't supposed to be talking about "show me the money" 5 years from now before he has even played an NFL down. 

Sounds like you are projecting how you want him to act.  Is that the only statement from the interview? 

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I am smart enough to not read into a comment about a player wanting to be paid and twisting it into him being a locker room cancer.

Every single NFL team will read into that comment. For some it won't matter, for some it will. Which one do you think Gute is ?

39 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Here's my TDN mock I think this is a possible way things fall. I am beyond certain we will take an OL with one of our top three picks. TDN is more realistic than Fanspeak. 

12 Ed Oliver, IDL
30  Chris Lindstrom, IOL/RT
44 Charles Omenihu, IDL
75 Amani Hooker, S
114 Josh Oliver, TE
118 Will Harris, S
150 Rodney Anderson, RB
185 Hunter Renfrow, WR
194 Max Scharping, OT (only six rounds)

Shows a depth of player knowledge that I dont have - but works for me - kinda :)

I know you dont like Burns - or Burns at 12 - whichever. I respect the opinion, but here's why I'm wanting the position at 12:

From all that seems sacred, good EDGE guys are like the proverbial drop of water in the desert. Tough to find - they dont hit FA - or if they do, you've got to overpay to snag them. IDL guys seem more readily available. (A personal perspective - not offered as a statistical fact).

I like our FA guys - not dissing them - but outside of them - we're down to bare bones. Kyler? Part of the mix....but I think we can  get a front line guy.
So - why not LOAD UP now - create a diverse group that can move up and down the line (not Burns) - and get after the GD QB? Smoke him out. Knock him down. 

Kill off the EDGE/IDL package - now - when we've got the ability (read: high draft slot) to do it. We've been kicking this can down the line for years now. Manning EDGE with lesser talents (IMO). It's time and we have the opportunity to insure ourselves for years to come.

Oliver?

I came on to him late - but from many (if not all) observers, the guys got the goods. So if Burns goes early - I'd have no problem nabbing him.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Every single NFL team will read into that comment. For some it won't matter, for some it will. Which one do you think Gute is ?

Every NFL team will be like the rest of the board, save you, and have moved on from that comment an hour ago. They can only dream he plays well enough to warrant paying 100 million dollars to.

Archived