2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

56 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Seen some chatter about this comment by White. Aside from whether you'd draft him at 12 or not, any problem with his "$100 million" comment?

Every player who goes to the NFL wants that second contract because that’s where the real money is. Our free agents this year said the same thing. I’m fine with it.

59 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Seen some chatter about this comment by White. Aside from whether you'd draft him at 12 or not, any problem with his "$100 million" comment?

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this. This comment will be a distant memory 5 years from now

On 3/21/2019 at 12:16 PM, Packerraymond said:

While Hock is the better fit for LaFleur, Fant is night and day the better fit for Aaron Rodgers.

Really hope LaFleur can meld his offense around Rodgers' strengths and preferences or this is going to blow up in our face.

Rodgers needs a Finley or a Cook.

I know they have many holes to fill, but what if the Packers draft both Fant and Hockenson?  

1 minute ago, jleisher said:

I know they have many holes to fill, but what if the Packers draft both Fant and Hockenson?  

I think it's likely that we draft two tight ends in the 3/4/5 round area. I don't believe we will spend a first on them.

1 minute ago, deathstar said:

I think it's likely that we draft two tight ends in the 3/4/5 round area. I don't believe we will spend a first on them.

You could be right, however, if they did pull the trigger on both, they would be set at TE for awhile.

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

Yes you posted the article, but did you read it and look at it?

Look at the OL chart.  1st round is just below 60%, 2nd round is around below 70%,  round 4 is above 60%, round 5 is just a touch less than the round 1 %.  Yet your statement made is sound like a slam dunk that OL in round 1/2 were light years ahead of those in 4-6...which the chart at least for round 4 and 5 is not representative of your statement.

paine-datalab-nfldraft

That's sounds right. Second round is usually guys that aren't ready to start right away or are sure guards/centers. The  round one athletic tackles have a higher bust rate but you usually can weed out the likely busts. Still the surest position. We only drafted two in Rnds 2-5 for three years. Both seem fails at this point but Spriggs could turn it around and maybe Cole shows up this year. 

2 real draft picks in 3 years is very very light and we've had to pay for it with Turner. That was our worst line in years but it is very cheap to fortify it with Bakh and Lindsley set. It looks like the Pack's off-season has that in mind and we'll take two OL 2-5. Where their targets are, I don't know. It just depends who they love. It seems a solid fringe 1, day 2 class though. I easily see 44 and a 4th being the target. Safe picks. Would not risk less than 2 picks. If it's not BPA by 44, we will take 2 in round 4. 

That's interesting about round three though which is last dibs on that second tier usually. Round 4 is typically prospects that need more projection/development or lack top end, small school, etc. GB likes to grab and move LTs inside. Also LaFleur may have a little different view of how to put together the backups on the line than Mac. 

They moved up for Spriggs because he was the top RT prospect in the draft at that point. But this is a deeper class. I'm sure they have a short list of guys they like in this draft worth a pick at all. After rnd 5 it's priority UDFA merely. Bottom line is they have short drafted on OL 3 years AND missed as well. We ain't going to the Superbowl without improvement. It takes two years to fix it. 

How can anyone not think this is  Bulaga's last year? His back and knees are almost done. They asked him to take a cut bc his performance has dropped.

Edit: and look at the snap count for tackle here. Bakh was a steal. He is undersized and they thought he wouldn't be able to handle LT. He was solely an LT projection too. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Complete non-issue. His intention was that teams should pick him now because in 5 years he'll be worth that much. he was laughing while he said it. (still not on board with ILB that early though)

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'd take this as a start to things......

12 - Brian Burns, EDGE
30 - Noah Fant, TE
44 - Nasir Adderley, S

Addresses my primary positional concerns with decent talent :)

I hope you are not too attached to some of these players..

I hadn't followed too much the draft the last two years but did not realize this Tackle class is better than the last two combined. The GB FO is salivating over this one. Guaranteed.

I'm running up the card for Taylor if he is at 12. He is my draft wish there for sure. Both Risner and Lindstrom are great GB prospects at RT that could kick inside if they fail. Dillard has maybe too much bust potential for me. No way we pass on all these prospects with 3 high picks. This draft aligns perfectly with our three big needs (DL, OL, safety). Really couldn't dream a better class. Those three OT picks seem really sure things imo. But there are some 8 pretty intriguing prospects here. We just don't ever have shots at guys like Taylor. Having a top five oline for Rodgers final years is priceless. Plenty of offensive toys in rounds 3-5: loaded with interesting picks to add to  our very solid WR/RB stable. At least 7 really interesting TE prospects this year too.

I have no doubt this can be one of GB's best drafts and it starts with forgetting about high bust rate prospects at edge. Taylor>>>>>>Burns, my only top 15 GB OL.

This OL class is top notch. We can grab DL round 2-4.  Oliver, Simmons, and Williams are the only premier picks. Can only hope Jacobs, Hock, Fant, Edge, QBs, White, and Metcalf allow Oliver or Taylor to fall.

43 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I hadn't followed too much the draft the last two years but did not realize this Tackle class is better than the last two combined. The GB FO is salivating over this one. Guaranteed.

I'm running up the card for Taylor if he is at 12. He is my draft wish there for sure. Both Risner and Lindstrom are great GB prospects at RT that could kick inside if they fail. Dillard has maybe too much bust potential for me. No way we pass on all these prospects with 3 high picks. This draft aligns perfectly with our three big needs (DL, OL, safety). Really couldn't dream a better class. Those three OT picks seem really sure things imo. But there are some 8 pretty intriguing prospects here. We just don't ever have shots at guys like Taylor. Having a top five oline for Rodgers final years is priceless. Plenty of offensive toys in rounds 3-5: loaded with interesting picks to add to  our very solid WR/RB stable. At least 7 really interesting TE prospects this year too.

I have no doubt this can be one of GB's best drafts and it starts with forgetting about high bust rate prospects at edge. Taylor>>>>>>Burns, my only top 15 GB OL.

This OL class is top notch. We can grab DL round 2-4.  Oliver, Simmons, and Williams are the only premier picks. Can only hope Jacobs, Hock, Fant, Edge, QBs, White, and Metcalf allow Oliver or Taylor to fall.

Of the 3 first round tackles, Taylor has by far the most bust potential to me. I will never touch an OT in round 1 who needs his pass pro skills to catch up to his run blocking. Hello Greg Robinson. I'll be furious if it's Taylor. Just take Dillard or Williams and I'm fine, although I'd much prefer defensive talent.

51 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I hope you are not too attached to some of these players..

I have positional areas I want to fill / firm up before others. The "who's gonna be there" aspect makes it all a subjective crap shoot. 

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Not really, no.  Just saying what everyone is thinking.

Archived