2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

23 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m beginning to think it’s more and more likely that we move from one of those first round positions

I sort of wonder if part of the "Packers are doing a deep dive on Lock" talk was to bait someone to trade up to 12.  Since one under-reported dynamic of the 5th year option is that it's much cheaper for QBs  taken outside the top 10.  5th year option is the average of the top 10 highest paid players at your position for top 10 picks (which is a lot for QBs), whereas for anybody taken outside of the top 10 it's the average of the #3 and #25 highest paid players at your position.  Because teams mostly only pay a bunch of money to one QB, the #25th highest paid QB is likely on a rookie deal in any given year.

Gutey was likely hanging a sign for "want your QB but don't want to pay him through the nose for it?  Number 12's your spot, since Cinci and Miami (and Washington, and the GIants pending what happens a #6) might want QBs... but we're not giving the pick away."

Andy Herman:  I’ve said for a while I think Burns will be there at 12 and GB will pass. NFL wants 3 down guys that early in the draft and they will question if Burns can be that. He’s a top 6 guy for me but it wouldn’t shock me to see him go in the mid-late teens.

Jack Wepfer:

McGinn’s polled EDGE rankings

1. Bosa
2. Allen
3. Sweat
4. Ferrell
5. Burns
6. Ferguson
7. Polite
8. Ximines
9. Winovich
10. Joe Jackson
11. Anthony Nelson
12. Ben Banogu
13. D’Andre Walker
14. Hollins
15. Brailford

Well, if that one scout described Burns as an "up-down" guy who plays off the ball in base and rushes in sub-packages.  Doesn't that sound like it fills two needs at once, assuming he can do both things?

I'm pretty sure you don't want Burks on the field in base, and if you want to move Z. Smith inside on rush downs, you need another edge.

Regarding Herman's blurb: Burns would be an over backer. Not a DE backer, hed generally be protected by the 5. Ie vic Beasley, and Irvin. Both are on the edge and those guys are getting drafted high because of their ability to drop or rush. Not rush and hold edge against tackles.

Manny Lawson has the direct Pettine link and had the late career resurgence under him. 

28 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

If these reports can be believed to have any truth on Oakland and NYJ Oliver isn’t sniffing past 10.

People can forget about Oliver. He'll never make it past 5. Tampa will be all over him if he survives 3 or 4. 

35 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

If these reports can be believed to have any truth on Oakland and NYJ Oliver isn’t sniffing past 10.

Raiders just sent all of their scouts home so there wouldn’t be leaks then this comes out. Wonder if it’s a disgruntled scout or misinformation from Gruden/Mayock.

6 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Raiders just sent all of their scouts home so there wouldn’t be leaks then this comes out. Wonder if it’s a disgruntled scout or misinformation from Gruden/Mayock.

NFL teams have been known to give scouts erroneous information just to see who will take it to the press.  But it could also be just putting 2 and 2 together a la "Gruden wants his Warren Sapp and Quinnen will be gone."

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Did he run?  Last I seen he was avoiding most of the athletic measureables like they were the plague.  I'd be ok with him at 44, maybe 30, but I don't want anything to do with a guy who's scared of being graded athletically with his peers.  

He was injured like Polite. I think both are dealing with legit injuries, definitely Polite's case as far as I can tell.

3 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I read some of the ratings on McGinn's site (bought subscription today). I know its 1 source only but man, I was not impressed by pretty much any of those guys. Even Bosa. And Polite complained about the Packers interview? That is kind of ridiculous.

I am not a draft expert like a lot of you folks but it just seems like a lot of these Edge guys have attitude problems. Ximines (at 8) or Winovich (at 9) seem to be decent options if they make it to 30 or 44.

Bingo!! That's my take at the top of this draft. Why i really want a move back. I don't like the characters for the most part. And some of the fit is a stretch too.

Some of this could be smoke too.

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Damn, this guy definitely isn't worth a top-11 pick.

The main reason I want nothing to do with Oliver at all. Fortunately, he'll be long gone to another team that can deal with that. Not what we tend to like and def not needed this year.

Archived