2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Why do you think Lawrence can't rush the passer?

Lawrence is in the upper echelon of pass rushers in the defensive interior class, as he generated the third-highest pressure rate at 13.8%. He has natural leverage with his size, and he is a burden to defend in one-on-one situations.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-di-dexter-lawrence-clemson

Of course he can overpower college guards. None of these guys rush the passer. Teams don't leave Poe, Joseph, Ngata, Wilfork etc... on the field for passing downs. Lawrence is going to be a good player, I'd be thrilled to get him in the 3rd, happy to grab him in the 2nd, but he's not a 1st rounder to me. In 2019 with as important as the pass game is, that type of guy is a luxury pick.

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

Pretty much. No one can even agree on a WR1 let alone anything beyond that. Pretty much everyone does agree that there's a lot of solid talent in round 2/3 but outside of that, it's all over the place.

I have it from a trusted source that Butler is going to be the best from this class.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course he can overpower college guards. None of these guys rush the passer. Teams don't leave Poe, Joseph, Ngata, Wilfork etc... on the field for passing downs. Lawrence is going to be a good player, I'd be thrilled to get him in the 3rd, happy to grab him in the 2nd, but he's not a 1st rounder to me. In 2019 with as important as the pass game is, that type of guy is a luxury pick.

You don't think any of those guys are worth 1st round picks in general or for GB?

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If it comes down to Tillery/Lawrence/Wilkins, run to the podium and grab Tillery. By far the best fit / upside for production on this defense, especially from a pass-rushing standpoint. 

Tillery is moving up my board too the more I read and watch of him.

Williams, Tillery, Simmons are all 'studs' IMO. Oliver has elite potential. Feel like those are all top 10 guys in a less stacked year.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Tillery is moving up my board too the more I read and watch of him.

Williams, Tillery, Simmons are all 'studs' IMO. Oliver has elite potential. Feel like those are all top 10 guys in a less stacked year.

Given the way everything is falling or appears to be falling right now, I would be okay with Tillery at 12. 

JaireAlex is high on  Joe Jackson I seem to recall?

From McGinn's EDGE series:

10. JOE JACKSON, Miami (6-4 ½, 277, 4.85, 2-3): Somewhat moody third-year junior from Homestead, Fla. “He’s a strong-side, base, 4-3 D-end,” said one scout. “Not twitchy but has ideal length. He’ll be a two-down base guy. He has to get in the right scheme.” Arms were 34 1/8, hands were 10. “He can’t play inside,” another scout said. “Kind of high cut. Not a great pass rusher. Tries to be an edge rusher but he doesn’t have that kind of ability. Doesn’t have that kind of speed or burst around the corner.” Emotional player that the Miami staff considered hard to handle. Finished with 129 tackles (35 ½ for loss) and 22 ½ sacks.

Like Burns vs. Tillery intrigues me.  Likewise Sweat vs. Tillery (pending medical), Jawaan/Dillard vs. Tillery, Devon vs. Tillery.  But I'm taking Jerry Tillery over the rest of the guys who are plausibly there at 12 (Oliver, Bosa, Quinnen, and Allen are all gone, I'm assuming).

Man, WTF has happened to this EDGE class? 

Sweat has a bad heart

Burns can't keep on weight

Ferrell is slow and unathletic

Ferguson is a sloth with the worst agility scores ever

Polite flunks interviews and ate too much Burger King while not training for the combine

We're at the point where Chase freaking Winovich is a "safe" pick at EDGE. Lol. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sweat has a bad heart

Polite flunks interviews and ate too much Burger King while not training for the combine

Not so fast. He dyes his hair and talks to celebrities and is a millennial!

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sweat has a bad heart

And I just read this about Sweat:

4) I would pay attention to Sweat’s decision not to go to Nashville for the draft. We had it in the Monday Afternoon Quarterback last week that his heart condition would knock him off some teams’ boards. And it doesn’t end there. Failed drug tests earlier on as a collegian, his dismissal from Michigan State, and his handling of the pre-draft process have added to the trepidation teams have on the 6' 6", 260-pound freak, who blistered a 4.41 40-yard dash and posted a 36-inch vertical in Indy. Thursday could be interesting for a player who, on talent, should be a Top 10 pick.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

here's a good quick read on Lawrence.

If you'd take Vita Vea at 12, you take Lawrence at 12: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-stacking-dexter-lawrence-against-recent-340-pound-nt 

Dexter Lawrence has the same RAS as Ed Oliver, FWIW.

I think he goes higher than many expect. He's easily the best "big" in the draft. And every team needs more bigs. Planet Theory.

I agree Lawrence will go higher than expected. Mocks from just a couple weeks ago had him going in the 2nd round. I expect he'll be a 1st rounder.

We're talking about a handful of pounds for Burns here. He could've been light for any number of undisclosed reasons. 

If as a GM you aren't confident that your S&C team can keep a guy with THAT frame at 255--that's a real problem in my eyes. 

Burns isn't short and he doesn't have raptor arms... There really shouldn't be that much of an issue when you consider the rumored level of work ethic and passion for football. 

Just now, Cadmus said:

We're talking about a handful of pounds for Burns here. He could've been light for any number of undisclosed reasons. 

If as a GM you aren't confident that your S&C team can keep a guy with THAT frame at 255--that's a real problem in my eyes. 

Burns isn't short and he doesn't have raptor arms... There really shouldn't be that much of an issue when you consider the rumored level of work ethic and passion for football. 

I weigh about 2/3's what Burns does (on a much less athletic frame lol) and I fluctuate more than 7 lbs within any given week myself.

Archived