Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

1 minute ago, August4th said:

Allen is too good for them end up picking high in the draft and I bet their cap situation is not all that great going foward. Sounds familiar

Bengals and Chiefs going to be there soon.  Chiefs really backloaded Mahomes deal but it's about to hit, and Bengals are gonna need to guarantee Burrow $60mil AAV.

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Bengals and Chiefs going to be there soon.  Chiefs really backloaded Mahomes deal but it's about to hit, and Bengals are gonna need to guarantee Burrow $60mil AAV.

their is a timeline where we can close to gap with these teams if we have a few good offseasons back to back, while they start to stagnant/regress

Edited by August4th

17 minutes ago, August4th said:

their is a timeline where we can close to gap with these teams if we have a few good offseasons back to back, while they start to stagnant/regress

The mega QB contracts won’t really hurt teams til 2-3 years in.

I still hope the Ravens pay Lamar long term and keep Harbaugh,

41 minutes ago, AFF said:

The mega QB contracts won’t really hurt teams til 2-3 years in.

I still hope the Ravens pay Lamar long term and keep Harbaugh,

Why would you want the Ravens to do that???  Lamar and Harbaugh are the real deal.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:21 PM, DR43 said:

Why would you want the Ravens to do that???  Lamar and Harbaugh are the real deal.

Harbaugh and Tomlin are kind of two sides of the same coin IMO.   Good, but ultimately extremely flawed and stubborn coaches who have many outdated approaches to running a team in the modern NFL.  

Lamar is more style than substance IMO.   Has never accomplished anything in the postseason and has yet to prove he can play well in the biggest games late in the season and into the postseason.   I actually like Lamar, but $50m a year is extremely steep.   

Bottom line....Im sure Harbaugh and Lamar  would remain contenders for many years to come, but I honestly think their styles somewhat clash, and believe both are just limited enough to where that team would kind of stay in the window we have operated in under Ben for a long time.

Our situation isnt much better (right now), but we still at least have a few years to figure out what Kenny is.  

The fact that Baltimore hasnt paid Lamar tells me there are doubts, and I don't blame them.   Obviously when he is good, he is special....but he isnt there consistently.

57 minutes ago, 43M said:

Harbaugh and Tomlin are kind of two sides of the same coin IMO.   Good, but ultimately extremely flawed and stubborn coaches who have many outdated approaches to running a team in the modern NFL.  

Lamar is more style than substance IMO.   Has never accomplished anything in the postseason and has yet to prove he can play well in the biggest games late in the season and into the postseason.   I actually like Lamar, but $50m a year is extremely steep.   

Bottom line....Im sure Harbaugh and Lamar  would remain contenders for many years to come, but I honestly think their styles somewhat clash, and believe both are just limited enough to where that team would kind of stay in the window we have operated in under Ben for a long time.

Our situation isnt much better (right now), but we still at least have a few years to figure out what Kenny is.  

The fact that Baltimore hasnt paid Lamar tells me there are doubts, and I don't blame them.   Obviously when he is good, he is special....but he isnt there consistently.

in contrast, there could be the chance that he gets his deal with the Ravens, yet loses to us in the playoffs of all things to a 2nd year  QB on a rookie deal. So much for all the QB hype that the media forces on everyone. 

These mega deals that the QB's get hold the team hostage unless the QB really is clutch and there are only a few of those.  The capspace tied up by those mega deals affect the teams ability to bring in a few other good players.  QB's Getting stats can happen, as Cousins has proved but few are clutch under pressure, as cousins and  Dak  has proved.

I like our situation having KP and what he has shown being clutch (in a few examples/games anyways ) and calm under pressure.  With colbert gone, perhaps Khan will get the talent here sooner than later.  Once the QB gets the mega deal, that freezes most potential/would be  UFA signings for a few years . 

AFC North will be toughest division in football  if Watson gets going and Lamar signs with Ravens.