Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

46 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

thats the nfl though. There are other Rice's out there while others aren't even playing  such as Araiza

is there a chance the steelers will give Azaira a chance next year? Did he even get a chance in other pro leagues anywhere? 

Doesnt seem like one of the moves we'd make typically. 

Perhaps it has something to do with his suit against law firms. Idk. 

Special teams player selection is often baffling to me. I try to study things for punters like time from snap to kick and distance covered when kicking the ball, hangtime and distance of course as well as directional, location and english, but that doesnt always equate it seems. 

Kickers even more baffling at times. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I think its a very short lived story.

I agree it would be short lived, but I don't think anyone wants what it brings in season right before the playoffs. 

It's the part I wonder about what him being a punter matters -- if at all. Feels like teams would level the difference a guy who they honestly hope they don't use in game would matter vs the distraction it brings. 

I just think it will happen in the off-season where the delay from signing to microphone, excitement of camp, new FA's, and draft picks will bury the story and then by the time you hit week 1 and some reporter submits their 1,000 word think piece everyone has already moved on and no one will care. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Ray Rice is gonna be honored at this Ravens game

This was just disgusting, IMO. I can't believe they would do it. You don't have to delete his name from the record books, but you also don't have to invite him to be celebrated (they did that last year with the championship team) or honor him with his own day. 

It was a stupid decision that even they tried to bury by not announcing it until the last minute. There's a lot of things that happen with NFL players in the background, but this happened wide out in the open for all to see. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I just think it will happen in the off-season where the delay from signing to microphone, excitement of camp, new FA's, and draft picks will bury the story and then by the time you hit week 1 and some reporter submits their 1,000 word think piece everyone has already moved on and no one will care. 

Agreed 100% and if I would relike it I would. Majority of positions you can just deal with it. Punter….this is the route so everyone can be on the same PR page. 

22 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Doesnt seem like one of the moves we'd make typically. 

Perhaps it has something to do with his suit against law firms. Idk. 

Special teams player selection is often baffling to me. I try to study things for punters like time from snap to kick and distance covered when kicking the ball, hangtime and distance of course as well as directional, location and english, but that doesnt always equate it seems. 

Kickers even more baffling at times. 

same here. If the punter can  be like Araiza, to me this would be a sure player to sign.  It could be making the opposition play on a filed 20 yards greater than usual. More important is constantly kicking  out trouble as well.  Think in your own end at around the 10 yard line, then the other team starts at their 15 instead of (cough harvin) 50 yard line already near FG range

Kickers - the rams have issues here for some reason . We had Matthew Wright step in, did really well. Some teams can't get kickers sorted out.  I like how tomlin and the FO had patience with Boswell after he had a few rough patches. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I heard an interesting conversation about the downfall(?) of Belichick. He is still a tremendous defensive coach, he can still get the absolute most out of players, he is still one of - if not THE - best game to game managers.... but he has basically given up on coaching coaches. He just doesn't have the interest anymore so all you see are Patriot retreads (O'Brien, Patricia, Judge), poor situational fits (Judge/Patricia), family (both Belichick boys), and former players (Mayo, Klemm, Troy Brown). 

However you consider coaching tree's or whose responsibilities you give to the guys, he has had a lot of talented coaches come through (HC record doesn't constitute that you are not a good coach): Saba, Ferentz, Crennel, Weis, Mangini, Schwartz, Flores, etc. He recognized a lot of good coaching talent and helped give some of them a start. 

It's just not the case anymore. Continually a small staffs of throw aways or people no one really wants. 41% of his 17 man staff fall into the categories above. Two of them are actually on the NFL fellowship program. It's basically Bill and a cast of friends rather than a group of up and comers with quality ideas that it used to be. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

is this comparable to keeping canada and mitch?

It can be close which is worrisome.  When you look at NE their coaching staff is all people BB has brought up ( literally with his sons).  There are no new ideas.  That is what the NE media is pointing out.  You are not going to get new ideas until you get rid of BB.

Steelers are getting close to that.  DR forced Haley on Tomlin which is the best outsider that did not start with the team.  It is why I would like to see an interview process, much like looking for a new HC, for OC.  Interview a bunch of candidates and see what they would do.  What is their philosophy.

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It can be close which is worrisome.  When you look at NE their coaching staff is all people BB has brought up ( literally with his sons).  There are no new ideas.  That is what the NE media is pointing out.  You are not going to get new ideas until you get rid of BB.

Steelers are getting close to that.  DR forced Haley on Tomlin which is the best outsider that did not start with the team.  It is why I would like to see an interview process, much like looking for a new HC, for OC.  Interview a bunch of candidates and see what they would do.  What is their philosophy.

Biggest reason I put it in a different category is that BB hasn’t and won’t admit it was a mistake, and wanted to retain Patricia as OC. Kraft is the one that went and got BOB to bring him back. I wouldn’t be shocked if BOB is the HC after BB leaves. 

I personally believe the OC this is about more than just what Tomlin wants. But that’s besides the point here. 

My family that are NE fans think the whole thing came around because BB (1) wanted to prove in a way he’s smarter than everyone else by doing this whole “coaches are interchangeable” thing of football is football. But also (2) he wanted someone that thinks like a defender to call plays to protect the ball. 

It was interesting what they said. They added that at least Tomlin tries new things. Even if they fail it’s a willingness to try the high scoring wide open offense. The lighter faster defense. Now it’s the opportunistic defense. The offense is trying the motion heavy stuff. Even if it doesn’t work or it’s poor execution he tries. Bill seems to have gone back to the Weiss/Cornell playbooks and wants to play with what’s comfortable. 

• Like 1

I do not envy the Bears and the decisions that Ryan Poles has to make.  Especially if Fields wins today.  Because if he turns it around and you gave him up, then you made a bad trade.  If you keep Fields, even if he improves but Williams or Maye is elite then he made a mistake by sticking with him.  It’s somewhat breaking my mind to think of how much of a lynchpin the Bears hold for the entire offseason.

Also Schefter just said Levis was dealing with a knee sprain, ankle sprain, oblique injury, quad injury, turf toe, and planter facaitis.  How was he cleared to ever see the field?  Also his wreckless style might not hold up.