Why I have faith in Nagy

WindyCity

17 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He switched up lockers so players can bond with players they usually wouldn't and was seemingly obsessed with the word BOND. He is always talking about family being first. He had a dance party for the players after they beat Seattle. Some of it seems elementary, kind of like how initially Trestman's quirkiness was "a breath of fresh air" only for it to end horribly. Of course, if they win consistently, he's football's Joe Maddon. If he doesn't, he's Trestman.

Ya and? I don't know what's wrong with any of that or how that can be considered a bad thing.  It's a 53 man roster.  Teammates need to get to know each other well enough if they are going to have each other's backs and go on to do great things together.

Trestman being fired was due to a couple of things.  First, he didn't show enough progression with his team during his two years and the results on the field came to be so embarrassing.  Second, he had no control over the locker room as seen with guys like Brandon Marshall and Martellus Bennett and it's clear guys didn't respect his authority.

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya and? I don't know what's wrong with any of that or how that can be considered a bad thing.  It's a 53 man roster.  Teammates need to get to know each other well enough if they are going to have each other's backs and go on to do great things together.

Trestman being fired was due to a couple of things.  First, he didn't show enough progression with his team during his two years and the results on the field came to be so embarrassing.  Second, he had no control over the locker room as seen with guys like Brandon Marshall and Martellus Bennett and it's clear guys didn't respect his authority.

His personality is very similar. A few writers, Finley included, have hinted at some of the similarities as well.

I'm not trying to upset anyone. Trust me, I don't want him to be Trestman. Their attitude and personality are alike. That's all.

45 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

His personality is very similar. A few writers, Finley included, have hinted at some of the similarities as well.

I'm not trying to upset anyone. Trust me, I don't want him to be Trestman. Their attitude and personality are alike. That's all.

Oh I'm not upset one bit, I just don't get the connection outside of their offensive backgrounds.

Trestman is a weird dude man. I don't get that same vibe with Nagy but again I don't know either of them on a personal level so it's hard to really tell.

51 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Oh I'm not upset one bit, I just don't get the connection outside of their offensive backgrounds.

Trestman is a weird dude man. I don't get that same vibe with Nagy but again I don't know either of them on a personal level so it's hard to really tell.

Let's not forget that Jay Ratliff went nuts on at practice and destroyed a play clock, and then was SUBSEQUENTLY made a team captain for the next game. Both Trestman and Nagy have done similar things, but Nagy is definitely a different guy

13 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Let's not forget that Jay Ratliff went nuts on at practice and destroyed a play clock, and then was SUBSEQUENTLY made a team captain for the next game. Both Trestman and Nagy have done similar things, but Nagy is definitely a different guy

Exactly my point in that Trestman had no control over the players.  Trestman was/is a pushover.

Nagy is a young coach who has shown he can vibe and relate to all players, and appears to command the respect of his players.  While he seems like a nice guy I don't get the impression that he'd put up with the kind of crap that we saw from the Trestman years.  He definitely has an alpha type personality, something Tresty did not.

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I never said he will be Trestman. I said he has a similar quirky personality.

And yes, because the GM is better. Emery was a disaster.

No he doesn't. At all. They couldn't be further from different people.

My goodness dude.

Nagy did this locker room thing for CAMP only, guys. Trestman did it for the whole season.

Nagy said clearly that once the season started he wants position groups together so they can talk about plays, responsibilities, etc.

Trestmean was a Grade-A weirdo who had no idea whatsoever how to hold players accountable. Nagy is the exact opposite if you listen to what players have been saying about how he runs a locker room.

40 minutes ago, G08 said:

No he doesn't. At all. They couldn't be further from different people.

My goodness dude.

I don't get what your problem is. You're almost offended. All I said was that Nagy is trying hard to be different, something that Trestman tried to be also. Two games into the Trestman era, no one thought he was a coach who was disrespected by almost everyone inside of the organization. No one knew he was getting walked over. No one knew it was going to last 32 games.

I know we want everything to be butterflies and rainbows and any mention of the alternative sucks, but it's just an observation on how they both are/were trying hard to blaze their own trail on how to run a football team. You probably can tell by now that I'm usually very optimistic about the Bears despite history saying that I shouldn't be.

I never said he will turn out like Trestman. All I said was that he is a coach with strange ideas, similar to Trestman.

Calm down.

14 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't get what your problem is. You're almost offended. All I said was that Nagy is trying hard to be different, something that Trestman tried to be also. Two games into the Trestman era, no one thought he was a coach who was disrespected by almost everyone inside of the organization. No one knew he was getting walked over. No one knew it was going to last 32 games.

I know we want everything to be butterflies and rainbows and any mention of the alternative sucks, but it's just an observation on how they both are/were trying hard to blaze their own trail on how to run a football team. You probably can tell by now that I'm usually very optimistic about the Bears despite history saying that I shouldn't be.

I never said he will turn out like Trestman. All I said was that he is a coach with strange ideas, similar to Trestman.

Calm down.

What my problem is? Okay well, not to be a ****, but I kind of think you talk out of your arse. This is why:

I'm taken aback by how unbelievably wrong you are, a dude who clearly is a die hard Bears fan that spends time on message boards, etc. Invoking Marc freaking Trestman comparisons to Matt Nagy is just.... I don't have words for how preposterously stupid I think that perspective is.

Hope that clears it up ^_^

It's like you pointing to the ocean and telling me it's red. Get your **** together for goodness sake or @Sugashane is going to blow an aneurysm! xD

The Trestman/Nagy thing is funny.

It's like Twitter logic:  Hitler likes candy and so does this politician.  Therefore this politician is Hitler.

I feel like I am a MT and Nagy apologist and I'm not, but they are being treated really unfairly in media and social media IMO.  Both have done everything expected of them up to this point and nearly exactly at where they were expected to be at this point.    

People were acting like Watson was going to score 40 a game going forward after last years hot start.  He hasn't looked all world this year.    Garoppolo was going to go undefeated too after last year.   Any notice Matthew Stafford missed an open deep receiver like 4 or 5x last game several of which may have been TDs?  Matt Ryan and Foles played pretty bad to start season. 

But we all have to compare Mitch to Mahomes right now.  Mahomes had hottest 2 game stretch in entire history of NFL, but because they were in same draft class it's fair to blast Mitch for not matching that or assume it would have happened here if he went through exact same process as Mitch in Chicago to date?   Also by that same line of thinking Mahomes should be expected to continue on and be the greatest player who ever lived.  Do people think Mahomes will throw 5 or 6 TDs a game every game in perpetuity?  It seems they do.  Same with Watson scoring 40 a game after last year, didn't happen did it?

People will generally regress or egress to their personal mean once a large enough sample size is built, but a player has to 1) learn and grow and 2) build that sample size before they are judged.  RG3 after rookie year was the next big thing according to many of same people who were saying Watson is "Michael Jordan of football" and are now saying Mahomes is a bona fide super star.  Maybe they are, but we don't really know yet.   

I think a lot of it is people want to have an early correct opinion on something to show how precient and knowledgeable they are.   So they make bold calls early, this guy will be awesome, this guy will suck, and then loudly continue with the I told you so's until they are wrong and then they are on to something else.   It's annoying.  

I think after 2019 season it will be fair to judge whether the plan was, is or will be successful or not.  Right now it doesn't make any sense. is counter productive and floods us with negativity which can have a real effect.  

17 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Calm down.

My previous comment was not directed at you.

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The Trestman/Nagy thing is funny.

It's like Twitter logic:  Hitler likes candy and so does this politician.  Therefore this politician is Hitler.

Exactly. Spend all of two seconds watching Trestman in a locker room and Nagy in a locker room. That's all it takes.

Oh but they're both white and offensive minded head coaches so they're similar and quirky O.o

Archived