Todd Bowles

NJerseypaint

16 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Nobody wanted to play for Jets so how can we confirm that he actually neglected important positions during FA.  As for drafts, trading up for Darnold may screw up OL priority.   Having Pat Mahomes could mean Jets were able to draft Quinton Nelson and Braden Smith.  That is unfortunate.

I think two reasons why Paton turned Jets down.  1st Woody wanted to hire HC by himself.  The roster was kind of overpaid, cap wise.

Fair point.  Not sure how hard he went after the big fish in FA and if they just didn't want to play here.  It's is certainly possible.  I actually like his tactics when approaching FA and not overpaying for the most part.  It's really his drafting that has left a lot to desire.  He prided himself on building through the draft and his best moves have been trading the picks for established players.  

Hard to play the what if game but Mac has had 5 drafts now to repair the team, two of those drafts have basically been huge flops.  I know the team was devoid of talent prior to him taking over but 2 out of 5 drafts (2015/2017) where you basically yield 3 players (Williams/Adams/Maye) is really bad.  

Hopefully we can talk with Paton again and show him that we have a young up and coming QB, 100M+ to spend and some good young talent to build around (Williams/Adams/Enunwa/Anderson/Herndon etc.) and let him run the show.  We need to have that Belicheck or Coughlin type running the show from the top.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fair point.  Not sure how hard he went after the big fish in FA and if they just didn't want to play here.  It's is certainly possible.  I actually like his tactics when approaching FA and not overpaying for the most part.  It's really his drafting that has left a lot to desire.  He prided himself on building through the draft and his best moves have been trading the picks for established players.  

Hard to play the what if game but Mac has had 5 drafts now to repair the team, two of those drafts have basically been huge flops.  I know the team was devoid of talent prior to him taking over but 2 out of 5 drafts (2015/2017) where you basically yield 3 players (Williams/Adams/Maye) is really bad.  

Hopefully we can talk with Paton again and show him that we have a young up and coming QB, 100M+ to spend and some good young talent to build around (Williams/Adams/Enunwa/Anderson/Herndon etc.) and let him run the show.  We need to have that Belicheck or Coughlin type running the show from the top.

Actually he has tried overpaying for guys, just big names have snubbed us. And I can’t blame them. Cousins and AR15 we both outbid in this last FA and they’re ent elsewhere for example. We aren’t an attractive team for players right now. And this season isn’t changing that

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Actually he has tried overpaying for guys, just big names have snubbed us. And I can’t blame them. Cousins and AR15 we both outbid in this last FA and they’re ent elsewhere for example. We aren’t an attractive team for players right now. And this season isn’t changing that

Kirk snubbed us because we didn’t have a good roster and ARob snubbed us because of our QB situation, still sitting at 6 and no real prospects on the roster, think it will be much different this year with Us heading into Free agency with Darnold.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Too early to say for sure.  As long as Darnold shows progress we should be fine in free agency.

Cousins took slightly less to play for a superbowl team and AR15 wanted to play in his hometown.  Wouldn't say because of them we can't sign FA's and will continually get snubbed.  

5 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Kirk snubbed us because we didn’t have a good roster and ARob snubbed us because of our QB situation, still sitting at 6 and no real prospects on the roster, think it will be much different this year with Us heading into Free agency with Darnold.

I don’t think so. I think we are kidding ourselves. Darnold hasn’t shown enough this far to be attractive to a offensive FA. Hopefully that changes, but through 4 games he hasn’t shown enough.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think so. I think we are kidding ourselves. Darnold hasn’t shown enough this far to be attractive to a offensive FA. Hopefully that changes, but through 4 games he hasn’t shown enough.

LOL enough said.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

LOL enough said.

Until he shows improvement... no one will want to come here. You’re technically wishing, when I’m looking at it realistically. Trust me I hope he shows improvement and we can attract some players. But what’s actually happened on the field this far... we won’t sign anyone worth anything.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Until he shows improvement... no one will want to come here. You’re technically wishing, when I’m looking at it realistically. Trust me I hope he shows improvement and we can attract some players. But what’s actually happened on the field this far... we won’t sign anyone worth anything.

Again it's been 4 games.  You don't know anything yet about the kid, nothing at all.  He's not 23 like Baker with 3 years under his belt or in year 2 like Maholmes in a great offensive system.  He's 21 basically starting his 2nd full season.  Can we give the kid a break here before we start bashing him for not carrying a bad team on the road in JAC to a victory.  Lets revisit week 14 and if he was just awful all year and not showing any flashes then yeah maybe FA's won't be rushing to come here but let's let him play some games first.  I mean 3 of 4 on the road with 3 games in 11 days to start the season.  Let the season play out before we make statements about 7 months from now is all I'm saying.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean Goff, Wentz, and Mitch didn’t show much there rookie years but they still helped pull in Free agents.

23 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I mean Goff, Wentz, and Mitch didn’t show much there rookie years but they still helped pull in Free agents.

Not true really. Rams and Philly drafted there talent and traded for it mostly. The Bears got AR15. That’s really the only big name to sign with any of those guys. I hope Darnold shows enough to get players, Bc we have money.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Not true really. Rams and Philly drafted there talent and traded for it mostly. The Bears got AR15. That’s really the only big name to sign with any of those guys. I hope Darnold shows enough to get players, Bc we have money.

And this little known guy, Khalil Mack. Having a defense really helps an offense.

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

ARob grew up a Bears fan. That was a key part of him going there.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Darnold, was getting a lot of press after the first game, that stopped after game four.  Mayfield & Mahomes, are getting all the press now, by no means is it Darnold. fault,, something is drastically wrong, with the Jets. The Jets would make Johht Unitas, look bad. It is at the point now that the Jets need a real house cleaning. We have a chance to turn things around Sunday against Denver. 

38 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Darnold, was getting a lot of press after the first game, that stopped after game four.  Mayfield & Mahomes, are getting all the press now, by no means is it Darnold. fault,, something is drastically wrong, with the Jets. The Jets would make Johht Unitas, look bad. It is at the point now that the Jets need a real house cleaning. We have a chance to turn things around Sunday against Denver. 

Maybe I was wondering what I mean wrong. I don’t have an issue with Darnold. I expected him to struggle. My point isn’t to knock on Darnold. It’s that our offense I don’t think has or possibly even will show enough to attract top offensive FAs.

Archived