2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

47 minutes ago, Danand said:

We haven't fielded much talent from the draft besides Yanda. Wagner did well in 1-2 years, Jensen in 1 year, and now we hope Orlando Brown will take that RT job and hold onto it.

I don't think that is true at all

16 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m sorry but if I can see how talented guys like JJ Arcega-Whitisde, Andy Isabella, and Terry McLaurin are what makes us think one of them will fall to the 3rd round?

They probably won't. lol We've been burned by the After our 1st Round Pick & After our 2nd Round Pick WR board cleanings for years. Maybe you're right, maybe they do go ham and throw some quick darts at the board to try and reverse that unfortunate history. I can't put my money on that outcome though. DeCosta specifically cited going Hurst over Ridley last year because of 1st Round WR bust rates. Every level of our scouting department has talked about the middle rounds being where the value is at for the class. We've used a ton of our prospect visits on highly rated defensive players. We've seen this story before, they'll have a bunch of guys similarly ranked at WR and poach the best one that hopefully falls to their next pick. Which as you pointed out, frequently causes us to miss out on impact prospects at the position. 

Gun to my head, EDC starts off his era with the strongest BPA pick he can make. Which if I'm guessing their board, the order would be: 1. Jeffrey Simmons  2. Rashan Gary  3. Christian Wilkins 4. Jerry Tillery 5. Clelin Ferrell. The only real WR you see pacing any of those players in mocks is DK Metcalf. Who I don't think our FO is high on, and likely won't make it to our pick anyway.

Now if we trade down into the 30s or so, Very Late 1st or Early 2nd. I think the chances of a WR being the BPA on their board greatly increases. As a JJAWS mega fan, I think that's what you should hope for. Like a 2010 draft scenario. 

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

What if we came away with JJAWs and David Sills/Morgan?

lol From the way you structured this I was thinking "Wait, who tf is David Morgan?".

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I don't think that is true at all

Stanley was picked high, so I left him out of the equation. Who did we pick late on oline that had more than 2 good seasons? We have had a lot of shuffling on that oline with Yanda being the only constant solid presence.

We have had to rely so much on chips and blocks from tight ends and running backs, because our oline couldn't hold against 3-4 pass rushers.

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

lol From the way you structured this I was thinking "Wait, who tf is David Morgan?".

😆 I was thinking of editing it to say David Still/Stanley Morgan (who might not fall to our third either), but I had just completed an edit and so I was lazy.

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Every indication is we aren't going IOL early, but there's one thing that still gives me a glimmer of hope. The fact that for some F'in reason we didn't sign Matt Paradis. I have to believe that EDC decided against it because he thinks there's plenty of good options in the draft. He did say there were multiple early round type centers at the pre-draft presser. So maybe/hopefully we'll pick one.

Cause passing up on this doesn't make sense- 

That's a terrible clip to demonstrate Paradis's skill. If a D-lineman is shooting a gap slanting one way and the running play is going the other way, its pretty much the easiest thing for a OL to keep pushing the D-lineman the way he slanting. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

That's a terrible clip to demonstrate Paradis's skill. If a D-lineman is shooting a gap slanting one way and the running play is going the other way, its pretty much the easiest thing for a OL to keep pushing the D-lineman the way he slanting. 

OL 101 haha. Literally learned my first week of practice in HS. Use the guys momentum against him.

I really feel if we don't go Jeffery Simmons if he is there when we draft, we are doing what we did last year, when we should have picked Derwin James.

Simmons and Hockenson are the only top talent I really see available when we pick, and while I think Hockenson would still be a good pick, it might be a little overkill.

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

I really feel if we don't go Jeffery Simmons if he is there when we draft, we are doing what we did last year, when we should have picked Derwin James.

That's probably the most likely scenario imo. 

EDC is on the record as being someone who values having more picks to have more chances to pick a productive player, so it's only logical that he's likely to trade down to get extra picks (especially considering we don't have a 2nd round pick)

24 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That's probably the most likely scenario imo. 

EDC is on the record as being someone who values having more picks to have more chances to pick a productive player, so it's only logical that he's likely to trade down to get extra picks (especially considering we don't have a 2nd round pick)

I think the same. I wouldn't be unhappy if we traded back 7-8 spots and grabbed an oline/WR/edge combo with the first two picks.

I just put up the names on the roster, and I don't see a team with as many holes as others I guess. I feel we have a high floor, but lack either playmakers or an offensive and defensive line which really kicks ***. If we want to be a team with an identity build around Lamar and a running game, I feel creating a better oline is the way to do it and on the other side of the ball put pressure on QB's from the inside.

57 minutes ago, drd23 said:

"Lottery Tickets", as he phrased it.

The Jeffrey Simmons situation is a little different from the Derwin James one in a couple of ways. There's the video incident, and he's currently rehabbing an injury. Even if the FO is cool with drafting Simmons, they might feel they can trade down into later 1st Territory and still get him. 

Short of some impossible scenario, like an Ed Oliver falling or something. I see EDC pushing significantly for a trade down as well. 

DeCosta is interesting. We know he loves his small school guys, his athletes, big time producers, and that he loves mining more picks. Yet he also was the driving force behind the Lamar trade up last year. A gamble that worked, as Flacco's troubling injury trend reared it's head once more. It was still a gamble though, and we don't have a 2nd Round pick as a result. Instead, we have a decent shot at a QBOTF on Rookie deal. So DeCosta has shown the willingness to be aggressive in pursuit of potential franchise altering commodities.  

40 minutes ago, Danand said:

I just put up the names on the roster, and I don't see a team with as many holes as others I guess. I feel we have a high floor, but lack either playmakers or an offensive and defensive line which really kicks ***. If we want to be a team with an identity build around Lamar and a running game, I feel creating a better oline is the way to do it and on the other side of the ball put pressure on QB's from the inside.

I agree completely. Our floor is upper echelon. When we lost, playmakers or coaching were the dominant reason why(along with a bad season of calls going against us). Tyreek Hill, Michael Thomas, Christian McCaffrey, Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram. 

Coverage is King in the NFL right now. And we project to be the Kings of Coverage in the NFL. You can scheme for pressure, but you need elite cover men. The Chiefs' defense had the quickest pressure rate in the league, but were trash because their DBs sucked. We're in a beautiful position and shouldn't waste the opportunity.

LG & C are average. We have no DIs that have proven themselves playmakers against the pass. We don't have homerun ability at HB. No proven playmaker at WR. And we could use some high end depth at EDGE.

^^^As far as club evaluation goes, our issues aren't dire. 

We could become perennial AFCC threats like we at one point were if we nail a good draft, and some routine player development goes out way.

Archived