2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

He has us picking DK Metcalf and just missing out on Simmons. He feels the same about Simmons as I do, possibly the second most talented player in this draft.

In terms of DKM, I’ve come around on him. As long as the durability checks in, I can see him being an upgrade to our WR code. His combination between explosiveness and strength sets him apart from any receiver we’ve ever drafted. And his age, like Mark Andrews, really makes him an intriguing option that can keep making strides. One could argue that if not for injury and with a 1000 yds pace on the board he’d be a top 10 pick. He still might ultimately go top 10. So I could definitely get behind this pick and the talent it would bring to our squad.

I'd be very skeptical of a Metcalf pick. I think he's going to be a limited player. The 3 cone is about as informative as his 40 time for me and his lateral mobility is just terrible. The number one thing I watch for in a WR prospect is separation and I don't think Metcalf can be a go-to receiver. He needs to run go routes against single coverage and that can't be the primary route regularly in a read progression because even if the CB is on an island, if he plays off far enough, there is no opening. He can do fades well, but that's not a high percentage play in the NFL. He produced pretty well in Ole Miss with an even more productive receiver opposite him, hence the single coverage. But if defenses want to focus on taking him away and make sure a safety is available in his deep zone, I think he'll struggle to produce. I think he's a good #2 in the NFL and not worth a first round pick.

That's why I much prefer Hollywood. There is just so much more you can do with him on any given play, including moving him all over the field like you'd want with your #1. With Lamar we want an offense that stretches the field both vertically and horizontally. Plus he is the king of separation and has much more functional speed. I understand the gamble with his size and current injury, but I also think that's why he's not going much much higher in the draft.

34 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

He feels the same about Simmons as I do, possibly the second most talented player in this draft.

He's the 2nd Overall player on NFL's site rankings too. Zierlein's evaluations.

As predicted the video doesn't seem to be a factor for clubs. All the teams that typically stay away from less than ideal player backgrounds have worked him out and had him in for visits. If he is off our board, it will be just us and the Giants I'm guessing. What great company to be in. Trying to win a morality contest. Or hoping to avoid one or two hack writer's chastising articles, no doubt referencing a mischaracterized version and lackwit analysis of the Ray Rice situation. I really hope that isn't the case, because it's such a pathetic position to be in.

Drafting Simmons should be as easy a decision as drafting Ngata or Suggs. Honestly I'm starting to doubt that Simmons will even make it to our pick, he's too talented. If he does though, and we don't pick him- I'm going to look at DeCosta in a different light. We are at a pivotal point right now with the club, not picking a franchise player like Simmons could cause a dangerous slip down a hill that's already going to be exceptionally hard to climb.

DeCosta isn't Ozzie. Being "The Guy" is a lot different than his former position. New GMs can't afford to have bad drafts. It's his duty to give us the best players possible. One or Two drafts in a row where he's fails to do so....and our groomed golden boy could be looking at unemployment- and rightly so. 

They passed on an All-Pro talent last year(Derwin James), doing it two year's in a row is just asking for F$%King trouble. Ticket Sales still aren't what they were. New contenders have emerged in the AFC and within our division. Our FO needs to think long and hard about the kind of team they're going to be going forward. 

If they bring in Metcalf, they could have just kept/signed Breshad Perriman. Same type of player, would have to win in the same way to succeed. Lamars strength isn't throwing the routes where Metcalf excels, I really don't see the fit.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

If they bring in Metcalf, they could have just kept/signed Breshad Perriman. Same type of player, would have to win in the same way to succeed. Lamars strength isn't throwing the routes where Metcalf excels, I really don't see the fit.

At Louisville Jaylen Smith wasn't exactly Derrick Mason with his routes. He was quite effective with Lamar though. Metcalf would be used similarly. Post, Go, Slant etc.

Metcalf is younger than Perriman was, has 3" longer arms, bigger hands, he's taller, stronger, looks faster on the field, more explosive, faced tougher competition. Most importantly though, I think he's 10x times smarter than Perriman. No offense to him, but Breshad appears to be "on the spectrum". A dummy. An unfortunate reality that contributed greatly to his on field errors & constant regression.

There's plenty of reasons to steer clear of Metcalf, but he isn't so similar to Perriman.

Beating one of our own in Anthony Averett-

On 4/22/2019 at 1:12 AM, berlin calling said:

with reports of Montez Sweat turning down his invitation to the draft, possibly due to being taken off several draft boards due to his heart condition, it surely means he'll not get picked top 10 as expected.

so i am just going to assume he is going to be DeCostas Suggs, a franchise PR that in retrospect nobody can remember why he fall that far down to #22

Apparently there's some off the field stuff too. Unlike his teammate Simmons though, I don't think his issues could result in him being off our board. He's certainly a BPA name to watch.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

At Louisville Jaylen Smith wasn't exactly Derrick Mason with his routes. He was quite effective with Lamar though. Metcalf would be used similarly. Post, Go, Slant etc.

Metcalf is younger than Perriman was, has 3" longer arms, bigger hands, he's taller, stronger, looks faster on the field, more explosive, faced tougher competition. Most importantly though, I think he's 10x times smarter than Perriman. No offense to him, but Breshad appears to be "on the spectrum". A dummy. An unfortunate reality that contributed greatly to his on field errors & constant regression.

There's plenty of reasons to steer clear of Metcalf, but he isn't so similar to Perriman.

Beating one of our own in Anthony Averett-

My comparison was more, that they are height weight speed freaks speciments, that wins due to their physique in college rather than their other receiving skills. Neither was a refined route runner or a great hands guy, was great at finding zones etc. They mostly won because they where bigger, stronger and faster.

Their nuances in the game is where they differ, but I don't see anything in Metcalf, that we couldn't get from Perriman. Ofc there will be difference in arm length, height etc., but what they could do is similar. Metcalf comes with greater injury concerns though and was utilized much more on one side, where Perriman was actually moved around the field.

On the clip - a cornerback has very little chance, if he has to cover outside and also on a slant where both linebackers get caught and leave a huge hole behind them.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

On the clip - a cornerback has very little chance, if he has to cover outside and also on a slant where both linebackers get caught and leave a huge hole behind them.

Which is why Metcalf should've won handily, as he did. Plenty of WRs fail on the easy stuff, and lack the top end potential Metcalf has. He can beat press coverage and is more refined at the LOS than he's given credit for. Combine all of that with his immediate deep threat ability, explosive after the catch ability, and you have something to build off of.

Picking in the 20s you don't get shots at perfect prospects, especially at WR. DJ Moore didn't have great hands, didn't run great routes, and had a limited catch radius. He was largely drafted because of his athleticism and the elite YAC ability born from it. You gamble on traits and athleticism. And hope the player can progress/grow in skill.

I wouldn't pick DK Metcalf, but I also couldn't be mad at the pick. We need a WR and he's a strong shot to take. 

12 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Y'all can bury me for this one, but I wouldn't mind the Ravens taking Noah Fant.

I'll start digging the hole because I don't like myself for saying that either. 

I can follow you. I want Hockenson though. You can argue, that Fant would provide us with the same big bodied receiver with a wide catch radius as an AJ Brown.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

I can follow you. I want Hockenson though. You can argue, that Fant would provide us with the same big bodied receiver with a wide catch radius as an AJ Brown.

TJ is going in the top 15. I don't think there's any chance of him falling.

Archived