Will the new sack rule be exposed by Qbs?

hoekd0250

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Here's a solution to the QB hit problem; make running the ball great again!

Seriously, it would solve so many issues in the NFL right now if the running game came back in a big way. HUGE QB contracts - strangling franchises? Gone. Ridiculous DPI and Massive Scorelines? Reduced. Incredibly strict and often baffling QB hit laws? GONE - because the QB value would have decreased. 

I don't know how, but it could work.

make holding legal

On 9/27/2018 at 1:13 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

All this hysteria over the rule change and how easy the offense has it now, yet offenses through 3 games are only averaging 2 more points,  6 more yards, and total penalties are up from 13.4 to 14.6 per game compared to last season (all of which are figures that were higher in 2016). Not to mention it usually takes defenses a little while to catch up to offenses to start the year, these numbers don't hold. The penalty increase would be fairly notable if it held, but it's evidently not really leading to any more potent offenses.

Hysteria? What?

And overall scoring statistics have absolutely nothing to do with the legitimacy of the new "quarterback tackling" penalty.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Here's a solution to the QB hit problem; make running the ball great again!

Seriously, it would solve so many issues in the NFL right now if the running game came back in a big way. HUGE QB contracts - strangling franchises? Gone. Ridiculous DPI and Massive Scorelines? Reduced. Incredibly strict and often baffling QB hit laws? GONE - because the QB value would have decreased. 

I don't know how, but it could work.

Isn't running the ball a coaches' design philosophy, though? I mean--other than pulling all the newer protections in the rules towards the passing game, I have no idea how you'd tilt things towards more running...

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Hysteria? What?

And overall scoring statistics have absolutely nothing to do with the legitimacy of the new "quarterback tackling" penalty.

Isn't running the ball a coaches' design philosophy, though? I mean--other than pulling all the newer protections in the rules towards the passing game, I have no idea how you'd tilt things towards more running...

No, I hadn't actually thought about the how. But on the fly, let's think...

-Nerf DPI significantly

-Tweak the blocking downfield laws (to allow all of it, maybe)

I dunno, it's true that it's more of an organic cycle. I suspect with the rise of smaller and shiftier LBers, the heavy run game will come back.

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I dunno, it's true that it's more of an organic cycle. I suspect with the rise of smaller and shiftier LBers, the heavy run game will come back.

That's a good point. You could be right about that. I've also often thought about how relatively easy it would be put a run-heavy offense on the field--as it seems like it's not a big deal for teams to find capable running backs these days...

Archived