Will the new sack rule be exposed by Qbs?

hoekd0250

13 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Well...Roethelisberger was stupid to do that, and a complete idiot to admit it. None of that helps anybody. He's probably the only great quarterback I can think of that is markedly lacking in the smarts department.

But as to the rule, no I don't think that, by and large, it can be exploited by QBs. Situations like what Matthews have had to deal with are full speed, bang-bang plays...

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well...Roethelisberger was stupid to do that, and a complete idiot to admit it. None of that helps anybody. He's probably the only great quarterback I can think of that is markedly lacking in the smarts department.

But as to the rule, no I don't think that, by and large, it can be exploited by QBs. Situations like what Matthews have had to deal with are full speed, bang-bang plays...

Tbh, QBs have participated in some acting to get RTP calls since the penalty was introduced to begin with (much like Kickers and Punters embellish hits to get RTK and WRs try to act like they're being interfered with to get DPI). It becomes even easier now. Was he stupid to admit it? Probably. But I don't see how he's stupid for attempting it. It worked - and got him 15 free yards.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Tbh, QBs have participated in some acting to get RTP calls since the penalty was introduced to begin with (much like Kickers and Punters embellish hits to get RTK and WRs try to act like they're being interfered with to get DPI). It becomes even easier now. Was he stupid to admit it? Probably. But I don't see how he's stupid for attempting it. It worked - and got him 15 free yards.

It's stupid both ways as he's risking not getting legitimate calls go in his favor. Punters and kickers can get roughed freely nowadays--which pisses me off. 

And I don't disagree that QBs do a little acting from time to time, I'm merely stating that there really aren't any more shenanigans to be had from the new rule. Which is absolutely horrible and needs to be changed. QBs don't need to exploit the new rule. If he or she feels like it, a ref can call a penalty from a QB simply getting tackled. 

Starting to remind me of the steroid era in baseball.  All these QB's and their stats are going to need an asterisk by them because most of them are just not as good as the rules are making them look today.  Hell, even guys like Brees and Brady wouldn't be doing the stuff they have done in their careers had they played 20-30 years ago.  The NFL has actively promoted offense and scoring as the most important thing in the game (while also taking away the defense's ability to combat these offenses) and all these teams and players are just reaping the benefits of playing an essentially rigged game. 

I don't think the rules should favor either offense or defense; they should be fair to both and offer a level playing field.  But playing defense in 2018 is almost impossible with all the disadvantages they face before the ball is even snapped.  Its great if you want a bunch of 48-42 games and heaps of fantasy stats, but it cheapens the games themselves because they aren't authentic.  Its like watching a boxing match where one fighter has a hand tied behind his back, then getting all excited about the other guy kicking his butt.  Its not real.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Or maybe he doesn’t mind telling the truth because he knows the current rules are a joke and he wouldn’t mind them being changed. 

The rules don’t help a big sturdy QB like Ben as much as it would help a guy like me. The future prototypical QB may look like a guy who is better suited for computer programming. 

All this hysteria over the rule change and how easy the offense has it now, yet offenses through 3 games are only averaging 2 more points,  6 more yards, and total penalties are up from 13.4 to 14.6 per game compared to last season (all of which are figures that were higher in 2016). Not to mention it usually takes defenses a little while to catch up to offenses to start the year, these numbers don't hold. The penalty increase would be fairly notable if it held, but it's evidently not really leading to any more potent offenses.

Well, some of these guys really don't want to get hit. I am curious to see what will happen when a defender swings a guy around and then slams them head first into the ground

It's a violent game, with all the chatter, defenders will figure something out

On 9/26/2018 at 7:50 AM, TENINCH said:

This was brought up on the NFL Channel on Sirius. The saddest thing about these rules to protect the QB may cause us to never see another Tom Brady or Kurt Warner again.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I think it's funny how you put warner in the same breath with Brady as if warner isn't extremely lucky to be in the HOF in the first place

18 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

All this hysteria over the rule change and how easy the offense has it now, yet offenses through 3 games are only averaging 2 more points,  6 more yards, and total penalties are up from 13.4 to 14.6 per game compared to last season (all of which are figures that were higher in 2016). Not to mention it usually takes defenses a little while to catch up to offenses to start the year, these numbers don't hold. The penalty increase would be fairly notable if it held, but it's evidently not really leading to any more potent offenses.

Not sure if this post was aimed at me but just wanted to clarify that I was not just talking about the recent rules changes but over a decade's worth of changes that have made offenses unquestionably better than they were in the 80's and 90's.  That's great if you love offense and don't want to see great defensive play, but one of the things lost when you tilt the scales so much towards the offense is the "special-ness" of that great offensive play.  Back in the 80's there were a ton more 17-10 games than there are now sure, but when you did see a Dan Marino light up a great defense for 35 points it was a special event (nowadays 35 points is almost ho-hum).  That 55 that Montana hung on a really good Denver defense (the Broncos lead the league in scoring defense with 226 PA; to put that in perspective, the vaunted Vikings defense last year lead the league with 252 PA) in the 1989-90 SB was incredible to watch and left no doubt that Montana was a God at QB, completing over 75% of his passes and throwing for a (then)SB record 5 TD passes.  That's the biggest reason I remain to cling to him as the GOAT instead of Brady, because all of Brady's accomplishments have come in the rigged game we have now in the NFL.  Obviously he is still the greatest of this era and I absolutely rank him as #2 of all time because of his incredible consistency and dominance of his peers in this offensive era, but I also truly believe that Brady would never have been anywhere near as successful as he has been had his career started in 1980 rather than 2000...

Here's a solution to the QB hit problem; make running the ball great again!

Seriously, it would solve so many issues in the NFL right now if the running game came back in a big way. HUGE QB contracts - strangling franchises? Gone. Ridiculous DPI and Massive Scorelines? Reduced. Incredibly strict and often baffling QB hit laws? GONE - because the QB value would have decreased. 

I don't know how, but it could work.

Archived