2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh……. 

ET ours to lose if Houston goes this direction. 

But also more of a probability of him landing in Dallas. 

Knowing Jerry Jones, he's gonna do whatever it takes to get ET even though it probably isn't in the team's best interests....

49 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Make no mistake, these guys are officially on the clock. If we have a bad draft and make more signings like Alexander, there will be A LOT of pressure on both Shanny/Lynch heading into year four. We should be making strides in being a legitimate playoff contender this season. Anything less and it's a failure. 

I already stated yesterday my problem with these signings. 757 touched on it, but you can't continue over paying for mediocre or average players. It is one thing over paying for good to very good players, but there is a bad trend going on. 

I don't need big name signings, I just want good signings. I also know this was the year to spend big bucks with Jimmy G only making 19M and Buckner's extension likely happening the following season. We will be in solid shape cap wise I'm sure, but it made sense to spend big this year and start getting some top talent.

Free agency just started so let's see how it plays out but fans shouldn't just continue giving this regime passes. Like I said, they will soon be on the clock. 

The bolded part I disagree with, or at least potentially. I've seen guys say that we should be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the NFC next year and to me that is patently ridiculous. All of us should have learned our lessons last year that in no way shape or form were we even an average football team. If your saying we need to just be in contention for a playoff spot I would agree and that to me would show signs of progress. We had a complete scheme change on both sides of the football with little talent at all on any part of the football team two years ago. Over reactions where if we don't make the playoffs this year and we will fire the coaches is why we would stay bad for another decade. Shanahan is way too good to lose imo. Lynch I could take or leave but not Shanahan and for better or for worse at least for the time being those two are tied together.  

45 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

The bolded part I disagree with, or at least potentially. I've seen guys say that we should be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the NFC next year and to me that is patently ridiculous. All of us should have learned our lessons last year that in no way shape or form were we even an average football team. If your saying we need to just be in contention for a playoff spot I would agree and that to me would show signs of progress. We had a complete scheme change on both sides of the football with little talent at all on any part of the football team two years ago. Over reactions where if we don't make the playoffs this year and we will fire the coaches is why we would stay bad for another decade. Shanahan is way too good to lose imo. Lynch I could take or leave but not Shanahan and for better or for worse at least for the time being those two are tied together.  

It is year three of the process and we have our QB....or at least we think we do. It is absolutely time to contend for a playoff spot. I didn't say contend for a SB, though if you get in then you have some kind of shot. And things can change quickly in the NFL. This team has had the 2nd pick in two of the last three years and had another top 10 pick last year. We are getting some high picks that need to be hit on and need to make good free agent signings. 

I didn't say those two should be gone, but another mediocre season and then they should certainly be on the hot seat. 

25 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Interested in seeing the details here.

22 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Damn it, down to two now. Clinton-Dix or ET.

17 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Now that sounds about right. We just kept getting dragged in the reports to up his value, but doubt opposing teams really bought that. 

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

All of us should have learned our lessons last year that in no way shape or form were we even an average football team. 

If a healthy Garoppolo wouldn't be the difference in 2 games against the Cardinals, and 1 each against Tampa Bay and the Giants (combined 16-48), then we should trade him now and stick with Beathard/Mullens because there is obviously no real difference between them and we could better use that cap space Garoppolo takes. That would have given us an 8-8 record, would have been the definition of average, and would leave us 1 game out of the playoffs (where Garoppolo might have been the difference in one-score games against the Chargers, Packers, or Bears). This is a team that struggled because of a lack of depth and an injury to supposedly the most important player on the team. We weren't average, merely because of that. 

So yeah - this team, in year 3 of the regime, should be adding players to make a playoff run. Rebuilds don't take more than 3 years.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

If a healthy Garoppolo wouldn't be the difference in 2 games against the Cardinals, and 1 each against Tampa Bay and the Giants (combined 16-48), then we should trade him now and stick with Beathard/Mullens because there is obviously no real difference between them and we could better use that cap space Garoppolo takes. That would have given us an 8-8 record, would have been the definition of average, and would leave us 1 game out of the playoffs (where Garoppolo might have been the difference in one-score games against the Chargers, Packers, or Bears). This is a team that struggled because of a lack of depth and an injury to supposedly the most important player on the team. We weren't average, merely because of that. 

So yeah - this team, in year 3 of the regime, should be adding players to make a playoff run. Rebuilds don't take more than 3 years.

Thank you.

You can't be fooled with the record and thinking this is a bottom 3-5 ball club. With Jimmy G, at the very worst we win 7-8 games. Our QBs, Beathard in particular lost so many games in the 4th quarter. This is a team that should be making big strides by now. Can't keep saying it is in rebuild mode. This is the year to find difference makers and becomes a serious playoff contender. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Yeah, If we had ended up one of the rookie QBs last year then I would be ok with us "rebuilding" but after getting Jimmy and finishing the season strong two years ago, the clock is ticking. 

I saw us as a 9-7/10-6 team with Jimmy or possible with Mullens because in those losses to Zona, TB, NYG, CJB was flat out terrible. I'd also add the GB and LAC games as well. Two more winnable games but CJB blew it at the end for us....

Archived