2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

43 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Don’t see the Chargers spending that much money on a safety when they have James playing the other spot.

Or maybe their thinking is that they can afford spending that much money on Thomas exactly because they have a cost-controlled James playing the other spot. Look at the Chiefs paying Mathieu 14m a year... they have Eric Berry counting 16.5m on their cap. That's a lot of money. But the chargers, on the other hand, are only paying James 2.8m. He can play all over the field. In the box, out of the box, centerfielding, linebackering, pass rushing. While having an elite playmaker backing him up... that wouldn't be a bad idea. 

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Or maybe their thinking is that they can afford spending that much money on Thomas exactly because they have a cost-controlled James playing the other spot. Look at the Chiefs paying Mathieu 14m a year... they have Eric Berry counting 16.5m on their cap. That's a lot of money. But the chargers, on the other hand, are only paying James 2.8m. He can play all over the field. In the box, out of the box, centerfielding, linebackering, pass rushing. While having an elite playmaker backing him up... that wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Looks like the Chargers just signed Thomas Davis. I wonder if that will impact a potential deal for ET or not.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Looks like the Chargers just signed Thomas Davis. I wonder if that will impact a potential deal for ET or not.

Well, they don't have a ton of cap space, so any signing they do has an impact.

I didn't know Davis was still playing.

Just now, rudyZ said:

Well, they don't have a ton of cap space, so any signing they do has an impact.

I didn't know Davis was still playing.

I questioned that, too. But, if he's signing this early in FA, he must have a market and he's probably not dirt cheap either.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

I questioned that, too. But, if he's signing this early in FA, he must have a market and he's probably not dirt cheap either.

Being 36, I doubt the market is hot for him, and that he costs all that much. I wouldn't be surprised if he chose the Chargers for personal reasons, rather than financial ones.

Archived