2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

11 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

49ers fan Twitter is a scary place.

There are fans calling for Lynch's firing if he does not get every single big name free agent while trading for both AB and OBJ.  People treat this stuff like Madden.

Yeah it's crazy how fans always want the big name, but the big name isn't always a big fit....

But Lynch has brought some of the hate on himself. I don't mind if you overspend for elite or tier 1 talent. But when you overspend on marginal talent, you're going to get called out. When he and Shanny were first hired, I understood the overpay. This franchise was a wasteland with very little upside. Had to spend a little more to get players to come. But now it's really becoming a running theme. Last off-season, I wasn't too upset about the signings. Yeah McKinnon got more than he was probably worth but other than that, I was on board with most of the signings. People are only upset because he got hurt...which probably fell on medical side of the team, more so than the front office. Alot of ppl want to complain about Richburg's deal also but I though he was a awesome fit for the scheme and he did help the running game improve tremendously. He was never great at pass-pro and I doubt he ever will be....just something fans have to live with. But Rich Homie Kwon's deal I think sets a bad tone to free agency. If we had overspent for ET or a CJ Mosely I would have been irked but I would have completely understood why. Those guys have the production and tape to back up a massive overpay. To overspend on a weak-side LB, coming off a torn ACL, who had one decent year where he made a bunch of tackles but only made the Pro Bowl because Bobby Wagner skip it, is something I'm still trying to wrap my head around. 

42 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

49ers fan Twitter is a scary place.

There are fans calling for Lynch's firing if he does not get every single big name free agent while trading for both AB and OBJ.  People treat this stuff like Madden.

Make no mistake, these guys are officially on the clock. If we have a bad draft and make more signings like Alexander, there will be A LOT of pressure on both Shanny/Lynch heading into year four. We should be making strides in being a legitimate playoff contender this season. Anything less and it's a failure. 

I already stated yesterday my problem with these signings. 757 touched on it, but you can't continue over paying for mediocre or average players. It is one thing over paying for good to very good players, but there is a bad trend going on. 

I don't need big name signings, I just want good signings. I also know this was the year to spend big bucks with Jimmy G only making 19M and Buckner's extension likely happening the following season. We will be in solid shape cap wise I'm sure, but it made sense to spend big this year and start getting some top talent.

Free agency just started so let's see how it plays out but fans shouldn't just continue giving this regime passes. Like I said, they will soon be on the clock. 

Archived