Michael Thomas V A.J Green

mdonnelly21

52 members have voted

1. 1. Better WR

• Michael Thomas
    • A.J Green

21 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Maybe? When we drafted Michael Thomas he was supposed to be our number 2 WR behind Brandin Cooks. Literally after Thomas's first season, he became our number 1 WR, and we traded Cooks away for a 1st round pick. Now obviously Green is a better WR than Cooks, but for all we know Thomas could have supplanted Green as a number 1 in this scenario you presented. Not nearly as cut and dry as you think it is.

Down ghe road, absolutely.  He was the WR I wanted most out of that draft.  If William Jackson had been goone, I might habe even spent the first on him.

16 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Meh, I was there in person and watched the replays of the game after, he did great against Rhodes, and did much better against Rhodes than a guy like AJ Green who I also watched in person get absolutely shut down. Thomas also had a big game against the Panthers the week prior in the playoffs. He has also had big games the past few weeks. In other words he is legitimate top 5 WR.

ah the old eye test and even better yet one game sample sizes. as far as being a legit top 5 wr,  hes getting dominated in this poll. not many would argue hes better than hopkins either, do not sure how hes a top 5 wr. unless of course you have him better than julio, beckham or brown. 

Ok. This thread should be locked away and put in a FF vault so it can be used as an example of "People overreacting to a small number of games from player A and also generally understating player B because he's been playing at a top level for years now for a team that is not very interesting most years....therefore player A>player B".

I mean come on. I like Michael Thomas, but holy cow is this not the classic example of fans just completely jumping the gun wanting to anoint young guys with small sample sizes over the vets who have been and still are playing amazing. 

AJ Green from 2011 to 2015 (came in the league in 2011):

(REC YDS TDS)

65-----1,057-----7

97------1,350-----11

98------1,426------11

69-----1,041-------6 (played in 10 games)

86-----1,297------10

2016 (missed over 6 games)

66-------964-------4

75------1,078-------8

If it weren't for the fact that he was playing at the same time as Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.....those 5 years from 11-15 were IMO some of the of any receiver this century. And he is still in his prime, still playing great! And hes done ALL of this with Andy Dalton as his QB. And when it hasnt been Dalton, its just been some other turd like AJ McCarron or someone. 

Sorry but no. Thomas does NOT belong to be mentioned as being as good or better than Green. Not now. Maybe one day in a year maybe more. But not today. AJ Green is a bona fide superstar WR whose presence alone completely alters defensive gameplanning and scheming. Michael Thomas is a nice player who benefits from an offensive savant HC, a HOF QB who happens to be one of the most accurate passers ever, and a heavy volume of short throws. Not knocking him. But all of that is absolutely true. Whether Saints fans will admit it or not. It doesnt mean the kid isnt or cant be great.

But my point is its way too soon to know if its more him or more the product of the team hes on. And to put him above AJ Green is just insulting to Green

3 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

ah the old eye test and even better yet one game sample sizes. as far as being a legit top 5 wr,  hes getting dominated in this poll. not many would argue hes better than hopkins either, do not sure how hes a top 5 wr. unless of course you have him better than julio, beckham or brown. 

Eye test, production the past year or so, Thomas just entering his prime..AJ Green past 30 on the back end of his career...Yeah I'm pretty okay with my reasoning behind taking Thomas which I have even further elaborated on previously in this thread. 

44 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Eye test, production the past year or so, Thomas just entering his prime..AJ Green past 30 on the back end of his career...Yeah I'm pretty okay with my reasoning behind taking Thomas which I have even further elaborated on previously in this thread. 

I’m sorry, but how exactly has his age impacted his game at this point? He’s still in his prime. And elaborate on the eye test.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I’m sorry, but how exactly has his age impacted his game at this point? He’s still in his prime. And elaborate on the eye test.

Michael Thomas is very likely going keep improving from his already great level of play. AJ Green doesn't appear to be the elite wide receiver he was a couple years ago. The eye test is obviously subjective, but he simply couldn't separate against Xavier Rhodes when I watched him in person. Rhodes manhandled him all game. Watching Green this past year or so, he doesn't appear as explosive as he was in his younger years. As I've stated in this thread already I think many are basing their opinions on the player Green was, not the player he currently is, which is still really good, but I just don't think he has the same level of explosive ability that played a part in him being elite in the past. We will simply have to agree to disagree for now, and maybe this will become a bit more clear by seasons end as there are obviously arguments that can be made for both players at this time.

10 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Michael Thomas is very likely going keep improving from his already great level of play.

So right off the bat you’re basing your list on the future and not current. 

AJ Green doesn't appear to be the elite wide receiver he was a couple years ago.

Subjective as it may be you’re just wrong in this assessment. There has been absolutely no drop off in his game or production. This is wishful thinking on your part. There has been no noticeable physical decline to this point. You’re not right.

The eye test is obviously subjective, but he simply couldn't separate against Xavier Rhodes when I watched him in person. Rhodes manhandled him all game.

So you’re basing your assessment off a one game sample size when our entire team got manhandled on the road in Minnesota? Green beat Rhodes multiple times and Dalton missed him. Look at the match up online. Regardless, you’re citing a game where the offense put up 161 yards in 4 quarters. 42 of which were put up in the first half when it was already 27-0. His poor game had nothing to do with his decline as a player. 

Watching Green this past year or so, he doesn't appear as explosive as he was in his younger years.

Again, not the case. I don’t know where or how you came to this conclusion. He hasn’t shown his age at all to this point. It’s just an easy, lazy counter-argument to make because the guy you’re propping up is younger. Green is more explosive now than Thomas has ever been. He’s a glorified possession receiver who thrives off YAC. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

So right off the bat you’re basing your list on the future and not current. 

"Who ya got and why" literally what the post is about. So yes I'm going to include age as I'm taking Thomas now and going forward.

Subjective as it may be you’re just wrong in this assessment. There has been absolutely no drop off in his game or production. This is wishful thinking on your part. There has been no noticeable physical decline to this point. You’re not right.

That's like your opinion man, but production has dropped for over a year now from years prior. That is fact not opinion with Green even if your diehard Bengals fan self can't accept it.

So you’re basing your assessment off a one game sample size when our entire team got manhandled on the road in Minnesota? Green beat Rhodes multiple times and Dalton missed him. Look at the match up online. Regardless, you’re citing a game where the offense put up 161 yards in 4 quarters. 42 of which were put up in the first half when it was already 27-0. His poor game had nothing to do with his decline as a player. 

So in other words The Bengals were down and Green didn't do anything...Because he wasn't doing anything against Rhodes.

Again, not the case. I don’t know where or how you came to this conclusion. He hasn’t shown his age at all to this point. It’s just an easy, lazy counter-argument to make because the guy you’re propping up is younger. Green is more explosive now than Thomas has ever been. He’s a glorified possession receiver who thrives off YAC. 

Yeah that's why he had the least 20+ yard catches in his career last year (9), and the least 40+ yard plays he had in his career last year (Not counting 2014 where he missed several games, but still had just 1 less than last year), he also has 0 40+ yard plays this year. His game is built much more on athleticism/explosive plays than Michael Thomas, who is a "glorified possession receiver", which is also what Cris Carter was and he seemed alright I guess, so if Michael Thomas can keep doing this "glorified possession wide receiver" stuff and keep leading the NFL in catches, yards, and be among the best in touchdowns I'll gladly take it, and definitely take him over AJ Green.

thomas isnt better than green, that opinion reflected in the poll in which green is dominating. thomas isnt eveb necessarily getring better, hes just running easier routes to complete and getting more volume. thomas is at absolute best #6, its more likely hes towards the back end of 10, like 7-9.

Looks like Michael Thomas is on pace for 1,780 yards and 12 touchdowns after 4 games this year. Obviously early, but if he can finish anywhere near that it would be hard not to have him in the discussion with the leagues best WR's. He had a bit of a down game today by his standards, but still was perfect on his targets today (4 targets, 4 catches). Thomas is has now caught 42 out of his 44 targets this year, which is just an insane stat there.

33 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Looks like Michael Thomas is on pace for 1,780 yards and 12 touchdowns after 4 games this year. Obviously early, but if he can finish anywhere near that it would be hard not to have him in the discussion with the leagues best WR's. He had a bit of a down game today by his standards, but still was perfect on his targets today (4 targets, 4 catches). Thomas is has now caught 42 out of his 44 targets this year, which is just an insane stat there.

the desparation is real...

still in the same tier as allen and thielen, heck, theilen is prob better than him.

Archived