How did our defense become so offensive??

RpMc

My problem with Barr isn’t the plays he’s getting beat because of scheme. It’s the effort and the fact that he appears completely indifferent to what’s happening on the field. 

I wonder how much him not getting a new contract plays into that. 

Quite simply...Sean Payton and Doug Pederson figured out the Zimmer defense and the rest of he league paid attention.  It's time for Zimmer to step down from defensive coordinating.  His blitz packages are identified to easily and countered.  When the disguised blitz is no longer disguised and ineffective, the opposing passing game can eat up chunks of yards because then you have Barr covering a number one in the slot on a go route, or the CB's are having to single cover their assignments with no help from safetys.  The other thing I've notices is that Joseph and Richardson are being neutralized and opposing teams have figured out that Hunter only has the speed rush from the outside.  All the tackle has to do then is stay on his inside shoulder to keep him away from the quarterback.  Right now, this defense is pretty bad without an effective blitz package.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Quite simply...Sean Payton and Doug Pederson figured out the Zimmer defense and the rest of he league paid attention.  It's time for Zimmer to step down from defensive coordinating.  His blitz packages are identified to easily and countered.  When the disguised blitz is no longer disguised and ineffective, the opposing passing game can eat up chunks of yards because then you have Barr covering a number one in the slot on a go route, or the CB's are having to single cover their assignments with no help from safetys.  The other thing I've notices is that Joseph and Richardson are being neutralized and opposing teams have figured out that Hunter only has the speed rush from the outside.  All the tackle has to do then is stay on his inside shoulder to keep him away from the quarterback.  Right now, this defense is pretty bad without an effective blitz package.

While you may be correct, Pederson, Payton, and Mcvay haven't exactly been figured out by other defensive coordinators either.

They have 10 days now between games.  If they are going to figure it out defensively, they now have the time to do so.  There's certainly something going on defensively where they aren't all on the same page.  Maybe it's Groupthink, since the coaching staff on that side have all been together for 4 years now.  I'd say bring in an old coach as a consultant to help review the tape and find out if there's some tells or if something schematically is going wrong.  

It’s not the scheme that’s been exposed, it’s the execution and the timing of certain plays called. 

Zimmer’s defense has been around for over a decade. That’s over 150 games worth of tape. Teams didn’t just figure out what he’s doing. Teams, for the large part, have always known what he was going to do. It was stopping it that was challenging.  

Seeing some breakdowns on Twitter, I think it’s time to replace Sendejo with Iloka. Sendejo is biting on every fake and misdirection play, and he’s late covering over the top. 

Barr needs to get benched in favor of Wilson. Even if it’s just a tactic to try and light a fire under Barr. Barr is simply playing with a lack of energy, intensity, and urgency. He looks completely disengaged. 

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not the scheme that’s been exposed, it’s the execution and the timing of certain plays called. 

Zimmer’s defense has been around for over a decade. That’s over 150 games worth of tape. Teams didn’t just figure out what he’s doing. Teams, for the large part, have always known what he was going to do. It was stopping it that was challenging.  

Regardless, I think you have to have fresh eyes take a look at it.  You may be right, but it can't hurt.  

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I partially agree.  Everyone in the NFL knows that a Zimmer defense is built on timely disguised blitz schemes.  I don't know how many times I've heard from commentators how "original" and creative Zimmers' blitz call are.  Well...they no longer seem original or creative.  And since the playoffs last season, or opponents have been able to take advantage of those packages.

3 hours ago, RpMc said:

My problem with Barr isn’t the plays he’s getting beat because of scheme. It’s the effort and the fact that he appears completely indifferent to what’s happening on the field. 

I wonder how much him not getting a new contract plays into that. 

I'm not going to pretend my eyes are on Barr the entire game so maybe I'm wrong here but: I don't think I've ever seen him fired up on the sidelines or on the field. You can tell when a player on the field is fired up on the field. Just look at Harrison. When he's all full of pee & vinegar, he's FLYING around the field.

I don't see that in Barr.

He looks like someone sitting in a cubical waiting until 5pm and just can't wait until the day is over.

I don't understand why Iloka hasn't played....if he's not playing,, cut him.....

The fact that Barr got schemed onto a WR twice is on the coaching, and the players not calling time out. And that's on the coaching.

Missing Griffen hurts, sure, but it's one player. They need to succeed w/o him, I'm guessing. And, they weren't great when he was on the field.....

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I wouldn't be against letting Edwards call some plays but I think Zimmer deserves a chance to figure it out

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

This. How many times have we heard the term "miscommunication" on the back end? Our guys aren't winning enough 1 on 1's and aren't playing within the scheme enough.

Did McVay out coach Zimmer a couple times by scheming to get a WR onto a LB? Yes. Did Barr get the safety help he needed? No.

Part of it is the offenses we've played are good (except lol buffalo), part of it is we haven't played well. It isn't scheme. We didn't magically stop having the personnel to play this defensive scheme in the past 8 months. But somehow we have to execute better.

52 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm not going to pretend my eyes are on Barr the entire game so maybe I'm wrong here but: I don't think I've ever seen him fired up on the sidelines or on the field. You can tell when a player on the field is fired up on the field. Just look at Harrison. When he's all full of pee & vinegar, he's FLYING around the field.

I don't see that in Barr.

He looks like someone sitting in a cubical waiting until 5pm and just can't wait until the day is over.

Hmmmm....why is it when I'm reading this, I keep thinking I'm having a deja vu experience, except the last name is Frazier instead of Barr?  :D

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

I don't understand why Iloka hasn't played....if he's not playing,, cut him.....

The fact that Barr got schemed onto a WR twice is on the coaching, and the players not calling time out. And that's on the coaching.

Missing Griffen hurts, sure, but it's one player. They need to succeed w/o him, I'm guessing. And, they weren't great when he was on the field.....

Why? He's cheap depth... who would you give the roster spot to?

Archived