NBA GDT | 18'-19 | I Love Mod Edits

FinneasGage

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And Boston's doesn't?  We saw Boston finish 4 games back of the Raptors last year with Gordon Hayward missing the entire year and Kyrie Irving down the stretch.  They're the better team.

Boston doesn't what? Again, Boston is more top heavy no question, but that doesn't mean the Raptors can't beat them or aren't as good. While not having as much talent, it is totally possible their talent mixes better and having the best player in the series would be the difference. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Boston doesn't what? Again, Boston is more top heavy no question, but that doesn't mean the Raptors can't beat them or aren't as good. While not having as much talent, it is totally possible their talent mixes better and having the best player in the series would be the difference. 

Boston doesn't have that good combination?

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because I really don't think you don't.  Players didn't really take 1 year deals.  The biggest names to sign 1 year deals this past offseason DeAndre Jordan, Trevor Ariza, Tyreke Evans, JJ Redick, KCP, and Rudy Gay.  None of those guys make the Lakers' roster any better than they currently are constructed.

Wow, Mcgee is better than Deandre Jordan?

Trevor Ariza is amazing when he leaves the rockets, but now hes not any better than Lance Stevenson?

Redicks shooting doesnt help next to Lebron?

Do you even watch basketball?

Just now, Pastor Dillon said:

Wow, Mcgee is better than Deandre Jordan?

Trevor Ariza is amazing when he leaves the rockets, but now hes not any better than Lance Stevenson?

Redicks shooting doesnt help next to Lebron?

Do you even watch basketball?

Maybe it's my fault for not being clear enough, but do you really think DeAndre Jordan is going to change the Lakers' franchise fortune?  Do you really think Trevor Ariza makes the Lakers a contender?  No.  DeAndre Jordan was dead set on going to the Mavericks, so I'm not really sure you can hold that against the Lakers.  IIRC, didn't Trevor Ariza sign super early?  And the Lakers had enough wings.  JJ Redick is probably the only guy that realistically would be better than the current situation, and he didn't want to leave Phialdelphia.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Boston doesn't have that good combination?

What combination? The point is Boston having better top talent doesn't necessarily mean they are the better team when the other team is talented, deep and have the better player in the series. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What combination? The point is Boston having better top talent doesn't necessarily mean they are the better team when the other team is talented, deep and have the better player in the series. 

So at the end of the day, it's totally a subjective statement.  Which is why I think it's odd that you're so convinced that Toronto's core mixes better together than Boston's.

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nikola Jokic isn't a top 10 player, sorry.  LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, James Harden, Giannis, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, and Joel Embiid are guys I'd easily take over him.  And there's probably a slew of guys in a similar tier as him.

Because I really don't think you don't.  Players didn't really take 1 year deals.  The biggest names to sign 1 year deals this past offseason DeAndre Jordan, Trevor Ariza, Tyreke Evans, JJ Redick, KCP, and Rudy Gay.  None of those guys make the Lakers' roster any better than they currently are constructed.  When did this notion that Brook Lopez was any good?  He can shoot well for a big guy.  But aside from that, he's awful.  He doesn't rebound well and he offers virtually no rim protection.  I mean, at least McGee offers some level of rim protection and doesn't need touches to be effective.  Given what the Lakers want out of their C position, I'd rather have McGee for less.  Seth Curry is on his sixth team in six years, yet he's this outstanding signing?  I get not liking the Lance signing, but Seth Curry gets hyped because of his last name.  As for KCP/Tyreke, I kept hearing about how the Lakers don't have enough shooting yet you want to trade a career 35% shooter from beyond the arc for a career 32% shooter?  The Lakers don't need another guy who needs the ball in his hands to be effective.  Even if you believe Evans is better than KCP, it's a marginal upgrade at best.  Nothing that's going to change the Lakers.

Prior to last year, the Sixers won 75 games over the previous four seasons.  The Lakers won 91 games over that same period.  But let's also not look at the difference in which way each team was built.  The Sixers had less talent than an NBADL team had at one point.  Let that sink in.  They bottomed out and FOUR top 3 picks in four years, including back-to-back #1 overall picks.  Lakers had 3 top picks in four years, and none of them were #1 overall picks.

The Kobe extension kicked in before he tore his Achilles, and we all saw how that affected him.  And it's kinda hard to bench Kobe Bryant, even if he is struggling.  That's not going to end well.  Byron Scott was abysmal, but they tried to stay in the family and make the Lakers competitive.  Blew up in their faces, but not exactly a franchise crippling move.  I'm not really sure what you're getting at with Nick Young.  He signed a 4 years, $21M deal (MLE money) and was a semi-useful scorer off the bench.  Nothing special, but I'd hardly call it an egregious move but that might just be me.

As we've mentioned, a Ball/Russell backcourt wasn't going to work out.  You can say it might or may not have worked out, but it clearly has.  The Mozgov dumped cleared the max salary for LeBron James, so that's a HUGE win for the Lakers.  I'd even argue that you could make a very legitimate argument that Kyle Kuzma is more valuable than D'Angelo Russell all things considered.  So not only did they turn Russell into Kuzma, they also managed to create cap space from Mozgov's contract in order to sign LeBron.  How many people here are going to take D'Angelo Russell and Timofey Mozgov over LeBron James and Kyle Kuzma?  I didn't think so.  That's easily a win in itself.  And it doesn't help that D'Angelo Russell has plateaued as a high usage guard who doesn't shoot efficiently.

Brandon Ingram is entering his 3rd year in the league, and Lonzo Ball is entering his 2nd year.  Let's give them some time before we write them off.  Julius Randle was the 7th player picked in his draft.  IIRC, he was the last player left in his tier.  I'm not sure what your expectations are for the 7th overall pick, but if you're expecting a franchise player you're grossly overestimating the return on that pick.  He's still a solid starter if he can repeat what he did last year.  D'Angelo Russell in 2015 was the right pick at the time even if Kristaps Porzingis ended up being better.  It was a two-horse race between he and Jahlil Okafor, and Okafor is halfway out the league.

Jokic ended last season averaging 24/11/6 over the last 18 games and just won player of the week while averaging 26/10/7. So you might have to get used to the idea of him being a top ten player. But really I don't care if you think he is or not - you think there is actually an argument for the Lakers having a core as good as the Nuggets? 

I think you're completely wrong about your signings this offseason. My favorite part was using Tyreke's career 3P% when he has made a considerable jump and has been over 35% for the last three seasons. That was completely disingenuous, but expected lmao. McGee has played over 20 minutes in a game like literally once in the past 5 seasons. That's a real stat. Relying on McGee when you could have just brought back Lopez is shocking. Ed Davis....another great option over McGee. I just threw out examples tbh. Gamble on a Seth Curry or Nik Stauskas etc etc that has some shooting rather than a scrub like Lance that can't shoot and has a low IQ. Pretty easy to see where I'm coming from here.

I don't want to get too much into this because I seriously don't care but the Nick Young signing sucked when you are in a rebuild. That is not a guy that you want around when you are trying to have a successful rebuild and develop younger players. That obviously played itself out in an incredibly obvious manner lol. Almost as funny as Rondo getting into a fight in his freakin home opener. 

Really my whole post comes down to this:

As we've mentioned, a Ball/Russell backcourt wasn't going to work out.  You can say it might or may not have worked out, but it clearly has.  The Mozgov dumped cleared the max salary for LeBron James, so that's a HUGE win for the Lakers. 

You guys salary dumped your own trash signing with your own #2 overall pick whose career the organization pretty much torpedo'd with the culture they surrounded him with. and it all worked out because you cleared a max for LeBron James lmao. Like the Lakers exceptionalism in this post is fire. The rebuild worked pretty much only because LeBron wanted to be in LA. Congrats

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Boston has to figure out how to balance out their offense. Otherwise I'm starting to get more bullish on the Raptors. 

Both teams need to consolidate their rotations. Boston might be able to squeeze out a protected 1st for Morris from a wing desperate team like New Orleans.

I’d be all about it. A 1st for that shmuck? Please and thank you.

Just now, champ11 said:

Just a heads up - Jokic had 23 last night. You are welcome for the update

I’m stupid and didn’t play the prop of Jokic over 20 points. I also had a feeling you guys would win but didn’t take that either.

Ended up betting on the Rockets. Just a fail all around.

41 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Jokic ended last season averaging 24/11/6 over the last 18 games and just won player of the week while averaging 26/10/7. So you might have to get used to the idea of him being a top ten player. But really I don't care if you think he is or not - you think there is actually an argument for the Lakers having a core as good as the Nuggets? 

As long as we're in a guard and wing driven league, Jokic is going to have to be head and shoulders better than his wing/guard counterparts.  And a small sample size isn't going to change that opinion.  The Nuggets have Nikola Jokic and a bunch of good pieces.  You'd take the Nuggets' core.  I'd take the Lakers' core.

42 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think you're completely wrong about your signings this offseason. My favorite part was using Tyreke's career 3P% when he has made a considerable jump and has been over 35% for the last three seasons. That was completely disingenuous, but expected lmao. McGee has played over 20 minutes in a game like literally once in the past 5 seasons. That's a real stat. Relying on McGee when you could have just brought back Lopez is shocking. Ed Davis....another great option over McGee. I just threw out examples tbh. Gamble on a Seth Curry or Nik Stauskas etc etc that has some shooting rather than a scrub like Lance that can't shoot and has a low IQ. Pretty easy to see where I'm coming from here.

KCP shot 38% from beyond the arc last year.  Evans shot 40% from beyond the arc.  That still doesn't change the fact that Evans is still a guard whose better with the ball in his hands.  Evans isn't a head and shoulders upgrade over KCP like you seem to make it, and certainly not a good fit with the current Lakers' core.  Brook Lopez averaged 23 MPG last year with the Lakers, but having to rely on McGee for 20 MPG is crazy?  The Lakers aren't using a traditional C.  They're going to use LeBron and Kuzma there more.  Either way, let's stop pretending like guys like Ed Davis are going to make a huge upgrade over McGee is inaccurate.  And I don't have an issue with taking a gamble on shooters instead of Lance.  But they also lack in other departments.  I trust Stephenson significantly more defensively than I do Stauskas or Curry.  Don't care if you prefer the shooting, but acting like Stephenson offers nothing more than Stauskas or Curry.

46 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I don't want to get too much into this because I seriously don't care but the Nick Young signing sucked when you are in a rebuild. That is not a guy that you want around when you are trying to have a successful rebuild and develop younger players. That obviously played itself out in an incredibly obvious manner lol. Almost as funny as Rondo getting into a fight in his freakin home opener. 

Because he's a toxic cancer, amirte?  No.  He's a high volume scorer with a childish personality.  That's not exactly someone you're hating to have in your locker room.

47 minutes ago, champ11 said:

You guys salary dumped your own trash signing with your own #2 overall pick whose career the organization pretty much torpedo'd with the culture they surrounded him with. and it all worked out because you cleared a max for LeBron James lmao. Like the Lakers exceptionalism in this post is fire. The rebuild worked pretty much only because LeBron wanted to be in LA. Congrats

Wait...you think the Lakers are the reason for D'Angelo's struggles?  That's comical.  Who was the one video taping Nick Young talking about his infidelities?  Who was the one joking around when the Lakers were consistently getting blown out of games?  Who was the one who never seemed to improve in terms of consistency?  D'Angelo Russell didn't ever develop.  That happens.  And yes, signing LeBron made the moves work.  Do you think a team like Milwaukee or Memphis is going to jettison their previous draft picks to create cap space for a max contract?  No.