2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yes, they did. Yet, the Yankees are still here. The only penalty is a monetary one. Basically, the Yankees can do exactly what I said. They just have to be willing to pony up. There is nothing preventing it. And I certainly do not care about what's good for other organizations.

Yes - they and any other big market team can overspend the limit or cap or whatever you choose to call it. Understood.
I prefer they work within the system. You dont. Fine. Agree to disagree.

Just now, Leader said:

Yes - they and any other big market team can overspend the limit or cap or whatever you choose to call it. Understood.

Paying the luxury tax is working within the system.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

They are working within the system. That's what you don't get. If the "system" wanted them to stay beneath the threshold, the "system" would have a hard cap.

Going over the tax is literally working within the system. Oh so very smart man you.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Going over the tax is literally working within the system. Oh so very smart man you.

Yes...and its any big market / high revenue teams choice whether to go over and pay that penalty - or cut costs - be sharper with their talent evaluations and put a winning product/team on the field. Which is exactly what they did.

You guys need to stop these comments.  This is the last warning.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Deep thinking there. And what do you do? Empty wastebaskets in the sports department of some newspaper?

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Oh so very smart man you.

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Aren't you oh so witty. I am in awe of your brilliant riposte sir.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They are working within the system. That's what you don't get. If the "system" wanted them to stay beneath the threshold, the "system" would have a hard cap.

As I said a few posts ago - the MLB system isnt exactly like the NFLs. So what? Hard cap or soft cap using a penalty tax. It should be the teams option whether to exceed it or not - be that based on financials or expenditures deemed necessary to improve the roster and put them over the top.

As I said a few posts ago - the MLB system isnt exactly like the NFLs. So what? Hard cap or soft cap using a penalty tax. It should be the teams option whether to exceed it or not - be that based on financials or expenditures deemed necessary to improve the roster and put them over the top.

It should be a team option. And we're calling the Yankees stupid for not exercising that option.

Yes...and its any big market / high revenue teams choice whether to go over and pay that penalty - or cut costs - be sharper with their talent evaluations and put a winning product/team on the field. Which is exactly what they did.

You do realize that the primary cost cutting measures the Yankees took in 2018 was that several of it's largest albatross contracts either went into their tails or were wiped off the books right. It wasn't a conscious measure to cut costs and "compete like the Rays" who, I should add routinely make double to triple their operating payroll in gross revenue every year.

Headly, C.C. and Matt Holliday were 22% of total payroll expenditure, along with the last year of A-Rod's contract at another 11%. A full 1/3rd of the Yankees operating payroll in 2017 were from guys either about to retire or were bought out the following season. Not some grand effort to reorganize the structure of the team or the organizational philosophy.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Yankees made $630M last year. Would investing $30-60M of that break Hal? Because even if you invested $70M of that into Harper and Machado, guess what, the Yankees still make the most money they've ever made.

Like the franchises you're using as an example of how to build a team without spending money, don't spend money because they have crappy ownership who doesn't invest back into the team and is content to just make a consistent if unspectacular profit off their franchises and not invest any money back into them.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

You do realize that the primary cost cutting measures the Yankees took in 2018 was that several of it's largest albatross contracts either went into their tails or were wiped off the books right. It wasn't a conscious measure to cut costs and "compete like the Rays" who, I should add routinely make double to triple their operating payroll in gross revenue every year.

Headly, C.C. and Matt Holliday were 22% of total payroll expenditure, along with the last year of A-Rod's contract at another 11%. A full 1/3rd of the Yankees operating payroll in 2017 were from guys either about to retire or were bought out the following season. Not some grand effort to reorganize the structure of the team or the organizational philosophy.

Yes - I did know that - but thanks for the reminder - and as I've been consistently saying, I'm reluctant to get into another round of extended / lengthy contracts - AGAIN - because I'm of the mind the team should stay around the cap or limit. No - not because I'm in fear they're going to go broke anytime soon and no I've never said they should (or could) operate like the Rays. They're entirely different operating/financial entities.

6 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The Yankees made $630M last year. Would investing $30-60M of that break Hal? Because even if you invested $70M of that into Harper and Machado, guess what, the Yankees still make the most money they've ever made.

Fine....and I dont begrudge them being a profit making organization. As I just (repeated) above - I prefer they operate within the constraints of the current system - which means - not amassing talent based on gross revenues - and not paying huge penalty / luxury taxes. They've proven they can field a winning / more than capable roster without doing that - and frankly, its better for the league overall if perceived "top" talent is distributed more evenly across the teams. The NYY arent the only team that can afford Harper and/or Machado and as I've repeatedly said I'd be happy to take on Harper.

5 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Like the franchises you're using as an example of how to build a team without spending money, don't spend money because they have crappy ownership who doesn't invest back into the team and is content to just make a consistent if unspectacular profit off their franchises and not invest any money back into them.

No. The Rays are in a bad market with little to no support. Regardless of the teams fortunes - nobody goes there. They may make twice their operating budget - but their gross revenues arent much to begin with. I cite them simply because - even with those constraints - they do relatively well in the toughest division in baseball.

To my knowledge the Brewers fit your description. They had a cheap owner - but thats changed - the teams production has as well and I expect with continued success they'll continue to invest in the product.

Archived