2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 minute ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Jays sent Russell Martin to Dodgers for prospects SS Ronny Brito and P Andrew Sopko

Can any prospect guys shed some light on these kids the Jays got back?

Brito is nothing special and Sopko is a lottery ticket ranked in the mid 20s on our list. 

Honestly the big clubs not giving out huge contracts shouldn’t surprise anybody. First the get hit with an escalating luxury tax. Then they’ll get hit with draft pick penalties. Then the teams that don’t spend money get money from the bigger clubs. Luxury tax is fine and good but if you’re going to receive revenue sharing you should have to spend it on your team not line your pockets.

33 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

Question for people smarter than me on these contract things. How does Betts only get $20 million to avoid arb, but Donaldson gets $23 million and Harper and Machado want $30 million?

Because Betts doesn’t have free agent status as leverage. The only parties are Betts and the Res Sox.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

Brito is nothing special and Sopko is a lottery ticket ranked in the mid 20s on our list. 

Honestly the big clubs not giving out huge contracts shouldn’t surprise anybody. First the get hit with an escalating luxury tax. Then they’ll get hit with draft pick penalties. Then the teams that don’t spend money get money from the bigger clubs. Luxury tax is fine and good but if you’re going to receive revenue sharing you should have to spend it on your team not line your pockets.

A negligible amount of luxury tax overages actually ends up in other owners’ pockets. That’s the lame excuse of peddled by Cashman at the behest of his overlords.

Yankees are now probably good to go for the season without needing Machado...taking more leverage away from him at the negotiation table.  Personally I think I'd rather have Harper?  But...yea.  Don't think either are really going to happen?  Would like another starter but I don't think that'll happen.

18 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

Yankees are now probably good to go for the season without needing Machado...taking more leverage away from him at the negotiation table.  Personally I think I'd rather have Harper?  But...yea.  Don't think either are really going to happen?  Would like another starter but I don't think that'll happen.

I never wanted Machado. If the NYY signed him - fine with me - but I've never considered him a crucial piece. The NYY know Machado better than any team bidding for his services. Play him 16 times a year. Now BALT rosters have taken a downturn in recent years - but what did Machado ever bring to them? Went to the Dodgers last year. Loaded roster - BIG STAGE - did Manny turn out to be the straw that stirs the drink? He prove to be the missing piece that would get them over the hump? Far from it. But this guy's worth a bundle of cash. Well, maybe to the right roster. Let him cash in and disappear on CHI's insignificant team.

A few years back the NYY let Cano walk. Good move. He fell off the face of the earth in SEA. Made good coin - good for him and his family - and the NYY went out and got his replacement: Torres.

I've always been more intrigued by Harper - again - not because his on the field exploits have brought fame and glory to the Nationals. He's a .279 hitter (last year .249) and he finally broke 30HRs last year. Not a chump (dont get me wrong) but not exactly awe inspiring. Oh but he's definitely worth 30M a year. Oh yeah? Why? We had an inexpensive rookie third baseman outhit him last year. 

But - Harper fits the NYY positionally better than Machado (IMO) I definitely like the left handed bat and he SHOULD come cheaper than Manny. I think Harpers gonna wind up in PHILLY however.

Oh btw - in this land of corruption and collusion - Mookie and Jacob seemed to make out pretty good today eh? Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I never wanted Machado. If the NYY signed him - fine with me - but I've never considered him a crucial piece. The NYY know Machado better than any team bidding for his services. Play him 16 times a year. Now BALT rosters have taken a downturn in recent years - but what did Machado ever bring to them? Went to the Dodgers last year. Loaded roster - BIG STAGE - did Manny turn out to be the straw that stirs the drink? He prove to be the missing piece that would get them over the hump? Far from it. But this guy's worth a bundle of cash. Well, maybe to the right roster. Let him cash in and disappear on CHI's insignificant team.

A few years back the NYY let Cano walk. Good move. He fell off the face of the earth in SEA. Made good coin - good for him and his family - and the NYY went out and got his replacement: Torres.

I've always been more intrigued by Harper - again - not because his on the field exploits have brought fame and glory to the Nationals. He's a .279 hitter (last year .249) and he finally broke 30HRs last year. Not a chump (dont get me wrong) but not exactly awe inspiring. Oh but he's definitely worth 30M a year. Oh yeah? Why? We had an inexpensive rookie third baseman outhit him last year. 

But - Harper fits the NYY positionally better than Machado (IMO) I definitely like the left handed bat and he SHOULD come cheaper than Manny. I think Harpers gonna wind up in PHILLY however.

Oh btw - in this land of corruption and collusion - Mookie and Jacob seemed to make out pretty good today eh? Oh well.

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

We're eating 18 of the 20 million owed but Martin, Tulo and JD off the books is big heading into a rebuild year where Vladdy Jr, Bo Bichette and Cavan Biggio all expect to make debuts

You think Vladdy is up after the minimum 2 weeks or so to get that 7th year, or do they wait til June/July and avoid Super 2 since they aren't going anywhere this year?  Might be worth letting him be a super 2 just to have hype in the ballpark an extra 2 months.  They should really be planning on signing him long term in 4-5 years anyway.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

"I didn't want a 26 year old superstar that immediately makes my team lightyears better for the entirety of his prime, clearly this indicates that there's no collusion"

BUT MACHADO DOESN'T STIR DRINKS AND HARPER HITS .249!!!!

22 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

You think Vladdy is up after the minimum 2 weeks or so to get that 7th year, or do they wait til June/July and avoid Super 2 since they aren't going anywhere this year?  Might be worth letting him be a super 2 just to have hype in the ballpark an extra 2 months.  They should really be planning on signing him long term in 4-5 years anyway.

Vladdy wont be up til he gains that extra year. I expect Bichette and Biggio up by summer's end

Archived